Tenant asking for bug treatment

Tenant asking for bug treatment

Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes

I received this text this morning from one of my tenants...

"Good Morning, Mike! We have been seeing a TON of spiders and bugs in the house, and were wondering if it would be possible to get it sprayed. Please let me know what you think"

A couple of background facts...

1. I did an inspection on the house 2 weeks ago and found the place very clean and well maintained. I specifically asked if they were seeing any black ants in the house, which sometimes come in during the early spring. (We lived in this house for 15 years). They mentioned nothing. Now, this text only 2 weeks later.

2.  This couple is a little persnickety, they tend to text more than I would expect for what I consider small issues, but the house is a nice house in a great suburb and they are paying a high rent.

3. When we lived in the house it was not uncommon to see spiders and some bugs in the early spring/summer. It wasn't a TON as she says, but like most houses, there were some for sure. I don't know what a "TON" is, but I suspect she is blowing this out of proportion since I didn't see any issues when I inspected.

I would just like some advice on how I should respond and/or handle this. I am not really in favor of sending a pest crew over there for a lot of money when I don't think there is a real infestation here of any kind and what they are experiencing is normal from the time we lived there. However, I also don't want them to think I am simply ignoring them either. I would love some advice on this. Thanks!

0Reply
306 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y

@Michael Temple Do you have anything in your lease that addresses this?

My lease says that if they find any pests in the first 30 days after they move in I will treat the house. Beyond the first 30 days it is their responsibility.  The reason being you can't control how clean they keep they house and if they leave out food that attracts pests. 

If you don't have this covered in your lease you may want to pay for this and update your lease so you don't get stuck with this bill in the future.

Most of my lease edits are due to learning from the school of hard knocks and making updates to keep problems for me from happening in the future.

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Temple I'd personally just pay to have it done. Eventually it will become your problem as the homeowner if there truly is an issue at the house. 

    However, you could also offer to split the cost with them. 

    I think it's reasonable in many instances to offer to split items such as these with tenants. If it's truly important to them then they will pony up for half. And you've offered to meet them halfway so you shouldn't have a fallout from the relationship going forward.

    For all of my student rentals we use an "opt-in" or "opt-out" pest control clause. We charge an additional fee to have the property sprayed monthly and they have the option to accept or decline before moving in. It's a great management tool for these situations. We often take care of these pest issues (rodents, spraying, etc) anyway because I want to keep up with the properties but it provides an option for me if I don't think their request is reasonable. 

  • Cornelius, NC · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 51 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Temple:

    Since I am going to put my own treatments down first, does anyone have any suggestions of stuff they have used and like and is not super lethal crap since they have small children in the house. Again, my pests according to them are spiders and "bugs" not sure what the "bugs" are, but I am guessing ants, stink bugs, etc. general annoying pests.

    I've had good results with Martin's Viper.  It's a concentrate, so you will need a pump-up garden sprayer.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Will Gaston that is also a really good idea about asking tenants to opt-in or out of monthly spraying and charge extra for it if they opt-in. Unfortunately, It looks like most of these are ideas for next time so this time it appears I am just going to eat the cost.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    8y

    You definitely want that pest control clause...if a tenant ever gets bedbugs you do NOT want that hefty price tag for getting rid of them.

    That said,  I live outside of Chicago and the years like this when we get winter into summer without really any spring...the bugs DO seem to turn up overnight.  So she probably is irritated that you say they weren't there then.  They weren't,  but they are now!  

    I am married to a chemical engineer and he absolutely says the stuff Home Depot or Ace hardware recommends is as good as what Orkin is going to spray.  Just read your labels for safety.

    Personally I think fastidious tenants who pay a high rent are worth a little extra hassle.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Nancy P. You wouldn't happen to remember what it is called would you?

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I would do nothing until I inspected the property myself. If your tenant is over reacting to a few bugs it is over kill to spray. The advice would be to have her take care of the issue the same as any home owner dealing with a few bugs in the spring.

    You need to inspect for yourself. Never ever take any action based on a tenants comments. Tenants are supremely unreliable.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    8y

    The pros use pyrethroids,  and you can find products with that.  My husband is a cancer survivor and he preferred to use something called Orange Guard as he thought it was safer.  But once every 3 years or so we get invaded by ants so badly and the OG doesn't work,  then I get the professional spray for under $200 (Use a local guy, much cheaper than Orkin or Terminix).  My H doesn't want to personally touch that stuff.  He sprayed weeds for the county during high school (herbicide not pesticide) and there are some statistical links between that and testicular cancer.  (think of how the guy holds the sprayer...up near the crotch).  Anyway,  because of all that,  he will allow the pro in once in a while but not touch it himself.  But he thinks the stuff you can buy is as effective as what the pros use.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    8y

    I can't speak for Toledo, but here in Houston, there's no way you're not going to see the occasional bug in the house. That's the price we pay for living in a tropical paradise. The bugs lurk outside the door and as soon as the door is opened they fly in, especially at night.

  • Canton, OH · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    @Michael Temple

    I don't know if they carry it where you are located or not, but "Seven" works very well.  I do not know about how safe it is for children, so do your own homework, but I know it works very well.

    With that being said, first thing you need to understand is you are dealing with a female.  Females do not like spiders.  The reason for this is because Females understand that spiders communicate.  Not only do they know you are trying to kill them, so they run like little Tasmanian devils, but they also notify all their relatives who will come watch you at night while you are sleeping.  If you happen to knock one to the floor, they play dead until you are asleep at night, and then they come back and notify their friends.  Before you know it, they are making cocoons in the corners of your ceilings, preparing their fortress for the takeover that is going to happen the minute you close your eyes to sleep.  The only 100% cure for a spider in most female minds is a flame thrower, and that may cause you fines if you have your smoke detectors in the wrong locations.

    Therefore, do not take your tenants lightly if they have a fear of spiders, just remember the spiders are there because bugs are presents, such as ants.  Ants can be quite destructive, particularly if they are carpenter ants or winged ants such as termites.  

    Consider your tenant's complaint as a good alarm mechanism that your house could sustain structural or fire damage that a little bag from Home Depot or Lowe's could have prevented.  

    Treat your tenants how you would want to be treated and you can usually get along very well and take of their concerns pretty cheaply.  What you may conceive as tedious and unimportant may be very important to your tenant.

    Lisa

  • Bremerton, WA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Michael Temple

    With that being said, first thing you need to understand is you are dealing with a female.  Females do not like spiders.  The reason for this is because Females understand that spiders communicate.  Not only do they know you are trying to kill them, so they run like little Tasmanian devils, but they also notify all their relatives who will come watch you at night while you are sleeping.  If you happen to knock one to the floor, they play dead until you are asleep at night, and then they come back and notify their friends.  Before you know it, they are making cocoons in the corners of your ceilings, preparing their fortress for the takeover that is going to happen the minute you close your eyes to sleep.  The only 100% cure for a spider in most female minds is a flame thrower, and that may cause you fines if you have your smoke detectors in the wrong locations.

    Therefore, do not take your tenants lightly if they have a fear of spiders, just remember the spiders are there because bugs are presents, such as ants.  Ants can be quite destructive, particularly if they are carpenter ants or winged ants such as termites.  

    Consider your tenant's complaint as a good alarm mechanism that your house could sustain structural or fire damage that a little bag from Home Depot or Lowe's could have prevented.  

    Treat your tenants how you would want to be treated and you can usually get along very well and take of their concerns pretty cheaply.  What you may conceive as tedious and unimportant may be very important to your tenant.

    Lisa

     ahahHAHAHAHA!!!  

    Although that is a gender stereotype, it seems to be true!  My experience has been that most women are absolutely unnerved by the mere sight of a spider. Males don't particularly like spiders, but are usually not terrified of them. At home, I get "the yell" about once of month to "COME KILL THIS SPIDER!!!"  So in comes dad with a tissue paper to capture the offending arachnid. The daughters stand by at a safe distance as the grab is made.  Before flushing it down the toilet, I will sometimes hold the wad of tissue up and say, "does anyone want to see the ...." and before the sentence is finished there are screaming girls running from the scene!

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    For single family detached homes, I provide a pest perimeter spray and a  Terro Ant Killer.  It eliminates most pest calls.  If they want pet-safe or child-safe, they can purchase them on their own.  I forgot to provide it at my last turnover, and as soon as it warmed up, they were calling about ants.  If they want a pet-safe or child-safe one, they can find them online.   Home Depot/Lowes used to carry pet-safe perimeter bug sprays that I thought worked well, but I can't find them anymore.  The cheapest Terro Ant Killer, the liquid you place in the ant trail, works extremely well but takes 2-3 weeks.  

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    It a pretty common request.  We stick to the policy and the lease that we treat them within the first 30 days and anything after that we assume you were the one that brought them in.

  • Newark, DE · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    I’m new here so don’t shoot me if my comment is off base... Is there any reason why you can’t go to Hone Depot, get a bottle of Ortho Home Defense and spray the house? That’s $7.98 and about a half hour of your time, vs your high estimates. Home Defense kills just about every household bug.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    "Is there any reason why you can’t go to Hone Depot, get a bottle of Ortho Home Defense and spray the house?"

    No harm in suggesting your tenant do that for themselves. Most tenants are generally ill equipped to deal with normal home issues but suggesting your tenant resolve a minor bug issue themselves is not beyond normal. Best way to deal with spiders is a vaccume cleaner.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I send an exterminator for many bugs.  But for spiders, killing their webs is the most effective method.  For ants, just  give them a few bottles of RAID or other ant treatment.  

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 21 votes
    8y
    You can find some excellent specialists on Groupon for a deal!
  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    8y

    When I have a tenant move out, I spray the inside of the house. I use a gallon spray bottle and a pesticide from Lowes ( about $12.00 for concentrate, good for about 3 houses). I let the new tenant know the house has been sprayed (makes them happy and I look good). I put in the lease that the house will be treated before they move in and any other issues are on them. Thanks to some posts on here, I will be adding a bed bug clause. Never had an issue but don't want to have on after the fact.

    I also replaced any wood burning fireplace with a gas log type. They look better and I don't have issues with wood near the house. 

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    If I were a tenant and my landlord asked me why I didn’t tell them about the problem a week ago when he was there i would have an attitude as well
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael Temple,

    We had a similar call last year,   so we just went to home Depot and got the exterior spray (large bottle), sprayed the heck out of the perimeter and up top where spiders/bugs might live, and also left them a small bottle of the same spray to use at their discretion.    Giving them the bottle (yes, they could have just gone to Lowes and got it themselves)  after you do an extensive spray, shows you care and listened to their concern, but also passes the wand to them to be proactive if they need more.  

    We also did a walk through of the house and caulked any where the bugs might be entering.     Total cost was around $20, and they never said anything after that.     I'd suggest seeing if you handle the problem yourself for cheap before calling in a company ($$$$$). 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Michael Plante - Question, why? I didn't think it was an unreasonable request that since I was there only a week earlier and specifically asked them if they had any issues with bugs, more specifically ants as that sometimes crops up in the spring at this house. Absolutely no issues. One week later they claim an infestation and want me to bring in a spraying service which isn't cheap. I guess I am off base here, but that didn't seem like an insane question to me.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Another suggestion.....have a policy for tenants to notify you of problems in writing, unless it is an emergency. This can help avoid getting text messages or calls for every little thing that may occur to them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Linda S. That was going to be my approach as well. The first thing I did was ask them to move the old firewood that was stacked up in the garage. I think that is a decent part of the problem since that particular wood is very old. I told them once that was done I would come over and put a perimeter spray down and I will probably put something around the windows and doors as well, possibly do the interior baseboards. I plan to leave them the bottle as you and others have suggested to see if the issue cures itself after that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    It sounds like they are good tenants in a nice house and pay high rent. Why wouldn’t you want to A) Keep your house free of pests; and B) Keep these tenants happy? I just had the same problem at my duplex. Terminix online appt will give you $50 off. I paid $175 to get both sides of duplex done. A small price to pay to keep good tenants and to keep my property clean.
  • Real Estate Investor · Marysville, OH · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 196 votes
    8y

    Right about now in central Ohio we are seeing some black ants, which I usually fix by putting some blobs of Combat Max Gel Ant Bait, or something like that, at the access points where their ant trails enter the house.  They love it and it and take it back to the nest and they all die.

    We're also seeing a lot of June bugs (early this year) which can get in the house as they are attracted to light at night, so opening a door or window can let them in.  And some lady bugs and aphids are out.

    All that said, I would do what has been suggested.  Buy a "universal" insect treatment jug from home depot with a sprayer, and spray the perimeter of the house.  Extra around doors and windows.  That will probably help a lot.  You should have some left to leave in the garage for the tenant as a courtesy.

    But the tenant is never going to get rid of bugs and spiders completely.  They are a part of life.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    If you choose to pay out of your own pocket for pest services for your tenants, that's your right, @Anthony Wick, but just because you do something nice for tenants doesn't mean you'll keep them happy. You can not control people. And you can't do favors/nice things for people thinking that they will in return be super kind to you, have a great relationship, or even keep your property nice. It's unrealistic.

    In fact, *some* people expect more and more and more when you do nice things for them. And when you finally draw the line and say "no more", they get angry.

    So don't think you're doing yourself or your property or your tenant/landlord relationship any favors by paying for services that they should be handling, and could handle for much less than $175.

    @Michael Temple, your only "mistake" was mentioning to them that while you lived in there, you experienced ants. As someone said before, when you mention something, they will definitely see it and exaggerate the issue 10x over. You know very well that your former home does not have an infestation. Rather, like many normal homes, some bugs will make their way indoors. It's part of life. 

    You're doing fine, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for not bending over backwards and throwing money at every request and *perceived* problem.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.