Tenant asking for bug treatment

Tenant asking for bug treatment

Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 215 votes

I received this text this morning from one of my tenants...

"Good Morning, Mike! We have been seeing a TON of spiders and bugs in the house, and were wondering if it would be possible to get it sprayed. Please let me know what you think"

A couple of background facts...

1. I did an inspection on the house 2 weeks ago and found the place very clean and well maintained. I specifically asked if they were seeing any black ants in the house, which sometimes come in during the early spring. (We lived in this house for 15 years). They mentioned nothing. Now, this text only 2 weeks later.

2.  This couple is a little persnickety, they tend to text more than I would expect for what I consider small issues, but the house is a nice house in a great suburb and they are paying a high rent.

3. When we lived in the house it was not uncommon to see spiders and some bugs in the early spring/summer. It wasn't a TON as she says, but like most houses, there were some for sure. I don't know what a "TON" is, but I suspect she is blowing this out of proportion since I didn't see any issues when I inspected.

I would just like some advice on how I should respond and/or handle this. I am not really in favor of sending a pest crew over there for a lot of money when I don't think there is a real infestation here of any kind and what they are experiencing is normal from the time we lived there. However, I also don't want them to think I am simply ignoring them either. I would love some advice on this. Thanks!

0Reply
339 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y

@Michael Temple Do you have anything in your lease that addresses this?

My lease says that if they find any pests in the first 30 days after they move in I will treat the house. Beyond the first 30 days it is their responsibility.  The reason being you can't control how clean they keep they house and if they leave out food that attracts pests. 

If you don't have this covered in your lease you may want to pay for this and update your lease so you don't get stuck with this bill in the future.

Most of my lease edits are due to learning from the school of hard knocks and making updates to keep problems for me from happening in the future.

See this reply in the discussion

73 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    8y

    I just want to reiterate,  living outside Chicago (same zone as Toledo)...when long winter becomes spring or it rains for days on end,  the bugs DO appear overnight.  Did you not experience that when you lived in the house?  For us in Naperville,  it's no ants for 2-4 years and one morning it's a science fiction novel...ants EVERYWHERE.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicole A. 

    Well, that response to me was a bit salty. You kind of jumped the gun on assumptions. But that’s ok. My tenants pay top dollar, and I paid $175 to keep MY property from being infested by ants and bugs. And my tenants just signed a 2 year lease extension. Seems better than vacancies. And, it wasn’t a “favor”. It was business. I don’t believe cheapest is always best. I’ve learned that from going cheapest before. But that’s just my way of doing business. It’s not for everybody. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Anthony Wick I didn't mean to come across as salty. My apologies. And I wasn't saying it's a guarantee that your or anyone's tenants will definitely not appreciate things like that. But I do stand by the general idea that one can not do things for tenants thinking that in general it betters the relationship or how they treat the property. 

    I think it just sets *their* expectations, and so when/if they keep asking for more and more and more, the landlord will finally draw the line. And that's when the tenants get mad. They typically won't be understanding that the landlord finally said no. They'll just see that they've been provided above and beyond before, and demand that to continue. Not always. But many times.

    To me, taking care of something that tenants should handle is indeed a favor, and while one should be sure the property is kept in good condition, I don't think it's the best business decision to spend unneeded money. To clarify, that doesn't mean always taking the cheapest route either. This is solely about what should be a tenant's responsibility. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Temple:

    @Jonathan Holmes

    Do you have some recommendations of how to "de-needify" a tenant? I am still a relatively new landlord (3 years) so I am still learning my way through this process.

     On the topic of "de-needifying" tenants, I have a few of suggestions:

    1 - Do not return texts.
    2 - On every piece of paper or email that you give them, have your contact information, business hours (M-F, 9am- 5pm) and phone number. Underneath that have DO NOT TEXT in bold.
    3 - Only return voicemails. Texts are easy to fire off. Phone calls are (usually) actually important & voicemails means something's UP.

    I also have some very "persnickety" tenants (you use kinder words than me, I should try that) - whom I've caught in various violations of their lease in just their first 6 months. It's funny (or is it?!) I've have more contact with these 2 tenants than I did with all of my landlords over my entire lifespan as a renter. Fact is - they pay rent on time (early sometimes) and you can't put a price on that (or can you?!). I issued them a modest 2-3% increase on their renewal - and if they don't stay - whatever, it's summer and I can get someone else in there. If I were you I'd tell them to get some bug spray and hit the door thresholds and baseboards and welcome to spring time! Good luck!

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    8y

    I'm with you,  Anthony.  In 8 years of this it hardly ever has bitten me in the butt to spend a little money and be accommodating.  Boundaries are necessary,  sure.  "Yes"  doesn't jump out of my mouth immediately.  But we're getting a reputation as good landlords.   In fact,  I had an open house last Saturday..tenants have purchased a home..and the wife left a handwritten note on the counter "To Whom It May Concern:  You will be so lucky to rent this condo.  You could not ask for better landlords".  7 of the nine people that went through in 90 minutes applied.  It will be vacant for 3 days,  just long enough to touch up paint and have the carpets cleaned.  What did I do for these tenants in two years?  Brought space heaters at 2 a.m. when the furnace failed,  and provided a filter for the water in the fridge.  That's it.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    8y

    Depends on what your lease says, mine states that tenants are responsible for regular pest control. If something gets out of hand and we have an infestation of some kind we will step in but for regular service we just give them the number of the service we use and let them handle it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    I had to take a stand on this with some tenants that I inherited when I purchased a house. They nit picked everything, but it was hard to tell them know since I jacked up their rent and they paid so good. They called my wife one night wanting us to spray because it was "obviously" fleas. We told her that we have a can of bug spray she was more than welcome to use, she declined. After that her roommate brought their rent checks that month my wife asked her about it, she said I don't know what she was talking about and that she personally didn't see anything. Ever since then they have been model tenants only calling on serious issues and handling everything else themselves. Their lease says that anything under 200 is their responsibility.

  • Investor · Sewell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Anytime my people complain about bugs I said exterminator. Then for $45 a month going forward any bug problems they have they just called the company. I hate to waste that money also but to get these people off your back for a small amount of funds I believe is worth it.
  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Christen G. - Great suggestions. One other person said to stop allowing text messages as well. I think that is a great idea. The couple in there now are Millenials and I believe they would rather text than writing a letter or call in the case of a serious problem. I believe I am making it a smidge too easy to fire off quick texts for every little thing that occurs to them. I don't want to ignore legitimate requests or provide bad service, but I think there is a balance somewhere in between allowing these guys to text every little issue that bothers them and being some type of unresponsive bad landlord.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    8y

    1) what does your lease say

    2) what kind of condition is the house in (I recently had a tenant move out that complained of ants...upon move out I found excessive food splatter on the stove and unwashed roasting pans in the warming drawer of the oven).  Is this due to negligence?

    3) Do they have pets?  Pesticides can harm pets...and it can be a good deterrent to tenants requesting you to poisoning the area that may affect their pets.

    4) Electronic pest deterrents are cheap and instructions state it could take up to 3 months to get results...in 3 months, those pests are doing other things....

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed - Great suggestions. Unfortunately, my current lease that these tenants are under does not have any language regarding pests or who is responsible. I added it immediately upon getting into this dispute. It will definitely be in place next time. Live and learn I guess.

    They are keeping the place very clean so that isn't the issue. I really believe the issue is part the fact it is spring and warming up. Bugs and spiders naturally make a resurgence in the spring. I used to live in this house for 16 years, yes, spiders are there, but it isn't an "infestation" and vacuum cleaner typically solved the issue and made me a hero to my daughter. The part is a giant pile of old firewood stacked in the garage, which I told them to promptly move out to the yard away from the house.

    Your idea of the electronic deterrents is really good. They have small children so I am a bit concerned with dumping a variety of poisons in the house that they could come into contact with. Then they might sue me for poisoning their kids and forget entirely that THEY wanted me to do this in the first place!

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    Another issue I just thought of as a result of my last post. Since I am a little concerned with putting poisons down knowing they have small children and wondering what type of liability that could generate I wonder if it is a good idea to draft a disclosure and release of liability for them to sign BEFORE I put anything down. That way they can't come back after the fact and say I did something to harm them or their children. What does everyone think? It sounds like a good idea to me.

    I am really NOT trying to over think this entire issue, but I have a strong aversion to being sued.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Temple:

    @Account Closed - Great suggestions. Unfortunately, my current lease that these tenants are under does not have any language regarding pests or who is responsible. I added it immediately upon getting into this dispute. It will definitely be in place next time. Live and learn I guess.

    They are keeping the place very clean so that isn't the issue. I really believe the issue is part the fact it is spring and warming up. Bugs and spiders naturally make a resurgence in the spring. I used to live in this house for 16 years, yes, spiders are there, but it isn't an "infestation" and vacuum cleaner typically solved the issue and made me a hero to my daughter. The part is a giant pile of old firewood stacked in the garage, which I told them to promptly move out to the yard away from the house.

    Your idea of the electronic deterrents is really good. They have small children so I am a bit concerned with dumping a variety of poisons in the house that they could come into contact with. Then they might sue me for poisoning their kids and forget entirely that THEY wanted me to do this in the first place!

    I can only speak from my own experience...the electronic pest deterrents work for insects (spiders especially).  They advertise they deter mice but I've not seen that as being an effective solution for mice.  I have a doggie door in my home and mice still make their way in to eat the dog food I have set out for my two dogs.  Flies tend to come in, explore, and then leave.  If insects are the only issue, try the electronic stuff and tell your tenants it's the best option when pets are around.  I would also recommend citronella candles in the summer.

    That's what I would do.

  • Canton, OH · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 63 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gary Floring:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Michael Temple

    With that being said, first thing you need to understand is you are dealing with a female.  Females do not like spiders.  The reason for this is because Females understand that spiders communicate.  Not only do they know you are trying to kill them, so they run like little Tasmanian devils, but they also notify all their relatives who will come watch you at night while you are sleeping.  If you happen to knock one to the floor, they play dead until you are asleep at night, and then they come back and notify their friends.  Before you know it, they are making cocoons in the corners of your ceilings, preparing their fortress for the takeover that is going to happen the minute you close your eyes to sleep.  The only 100% cure for a spider in most female minds is a flame thrower, and that may cause you fines if you have your smoke detectors in the wrong locations.

    Therefore, do not take your tenants lightly if they have a fear of spiders, just remember the spiders are there because bugs are presents, such as ants.  Ants can be quite destructive, particularly if they are carpenter ants or winged ants such as termites.  

    Consider your tenant's complaint as a good alarm mechanism that your house could sustain structural or fire damage that a little bag from Home Depot or Lowe's could have prevented.  

    Treat your tenants how you would want to be treated and you can usually get along very well and take of their concerns pretty cheaply.  What you may conceive as tedious and unimportant may be very important to your tenant.

    Lisa

     ahahHAHAHAHA!!!  

    Although that is a gender stereotype, it seems to be true!  My experience has been that most women are absolutely unnerved by the mere sight of a spider. Males don't particularly like spiders, but are usually not terrified of them. At home, I get "the yell" about once of month to "COME KILL THIS SPIDER!!!"  So in comes dad with a tissue paper to capture the offending arachnid. The daughters stand by at a safe distance as the grab is made.  Before flushing it down the toilet, I will sometimes hold the wad of tissue up and say, "does anyone want to see the ...." and before the sentence is finished there are screaming girls running from the scene!

    Absolutely!  Your girls are very smart!   I am not quite sure why I am afraid of them, I don't know if it is because they shoot webs out their butts and can hang from them (which is kind of freaky, if you think about it) or because they crawl on you, or because of how fast they run and skitter.    I can't put my finger on the reason, but I am not a fan.  My husband knows that if there is one on the bedroom ceiling (which I check every night before I sleep), he won't get a wink of sleep until it is disposed of.    He also knows if it disappears, he better find it quick.  So, yes, I can relate to this tenant, but I can't say I ever thought to call my landlord.  That's probably because my husband gets bug spray before it would ever get to that point because he values his sleep.  ;-)

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    Admittedly, I did not read through the entire thread and replies. So if this is resolved and my response is irrelevant, my bad. I would just take care of it if it's a nice house and nice neighborhood. Doesn't cost you much and not only keeps them happy, but also keeps them speaking nicely about you to other people. If it were in a worse area and a worse house I wouldn't worry about it as much.

  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    Don’t be cheap.
  • Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    I pay $37 a month for service to prevent bugs. I recommend it. I see it as the cost of doing business
  • Realtor · Big Bear, CA · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Michael Temple:

    Another issue I just thought of as a result of my last post. Since I am a little concerned with putting poisons down knowing they have small children and wondering what type of liability that could generate I wonder if it is a good idea to draft a disclosure and release of liability for them to sign BEFORE I put anything down. That way they can't come back after the fact and say I did something to harm them or their children. What does everyone think? It sounds like a good idea to me.

    I am really NOT trying to over think this entire issue, but I have a strong aversion to being sued.

    Good point. I would also never purchase and leave a jug of bug spray at the property for a tenant to use for the same reasons you mentioned -- possible litigation.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    I love the feedback this post has received!  Here’s more (restating what’s been shared a few times):

    1. Buy Home Defense for $7.98 from Home Depot

    2. Spray early spring every year  (all exterior home, yard and fence perimeter where spiders hang, window bottoms, entry ways, inside garage walls adjacent to house, basement windows, etc.) 

    3. (Regarding annoying texts). Unless text is actual emergency, give it a 12- 24 hour cooling- off period.  Call tenant the next Day; in my experience, most communication challenges arise from our interpretation.  Simply being on the phone or in person will disarm most people.  Train them to be diligent and take control for things. (We had a tenant that complained about ants and left food out in kitchen 24/7; after a couple discussions, this has been resolved.)

    4. If above doesn’t work, hire a PM, let them manage it and focus on finding new deals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 262 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed - Good point. Personally, I find texting a reasonable tool to use so I do. When I started managing my properties I attracted some younger tenants so I thought texting was a reasonable way to allow them to communicate with me. I am starting to see that may have been a mistake. I certainly see some benefits, but I also see some downsides as others have pointed out and as I am experiencing first hand.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    8y

    I had a local pest company come out and spray in the attic for $75 last week because the insulation company found roaches in the attic. I thought it was a one time service but he said I could call again anytime in the next 3 months and he would come out again for no charge.

  • Jana CainPro Member
    Enrolled Agent · Richmond, CA · Member since 2016 · 225 posts · 148 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gary Floring:

     ahahHAHAHAHA!!!  

    Although that is a gender stereotype, it seems to be true!  My experience has been that most women are absolutely unnerved by the mere sight of a spider. Males don't particularly like spiders, but are usually not terrified of them. At home, I get "the yell" about once of month to "COME KILL THIS SPIDER!!!"  So in comes dad with a tissue paper to capture the offending arachnid. The daughters stand by at a safe distance as the grab is made.  Before flushing it down the toilet, I will sometimes hold the wad of tissue up and say, "does anyone want to see the ...." and before the sentence is finished there are screaming girls running from the scene!

     I had to chuckle at this one, as my dad did the same thing my sister and I when were kids (and we fleed the scene screaming, too!). To this day I detest spiders (in my eyes they're all the size of my hand, can leap 100 feet in a single bound, and could eat me alive if they so chose), and an infestation equals 2 or more. Lol. However, I've learned to accept the presence of a single daddy long legs in the house if I see one. I promptly give him the lone survivor speech - he's there to do a job, and if he fails or invites friends, everybody dies. Needless to say, I've rarely seen a daddy long legs in my house two days in a row.

    CA tends be pretty critter free compared to some other locales, and my condo complex sprays the property regularly (one of the few things the HOA fees are good for). I thankfully don't have to think much about pests, except for those that frequent my garden.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.