Tenant won't pick up dog doody

11 Replies

Hi all,

I'm sure someone has run into this before. we have a 4plex with a courtyard in the middle. of course. no one picks up after their dog.

What are some creative solutions to have them clean up after their messes?

Is "doody" Texan for faeces?

Do you have a pet policy which explicitly states that which should be common sense ... i.e. you are responsible for your pet, its behaviour, its waste and any damages it causes?

We've have had similar problems with both pets and garbage (apparently the garbage bin, at the side of the building,  is "too far" of a walk, so they leave bags on the fire escape for the raccoons and crows to rip open and shower down on the neighbourhood).

We first sent a letter to all tenants reminding them of their obligations for their pets, pets belonging to their guests, and their garbage.

When that didn't work, we sent another letter proclaiming our disappointment and the actions we were going to take to remedy the situation ... namely hire someone to pick-up the dog faeces and garbage and to ensure the garbage is put curb-side for pickup on garbage day each week.  This letter presented  a breakout of the projected monthly costs for these additional services and indicated the costs would be apportioned equally among all tenants (for the garbage) and those tenants with a dog (for picking up the faeces).

After a month or two ... once all Tenants were convinced we were serious, they started looking after things themselves.

Find a trail cam or security cam to catch them in the act. Fine them for the violation and let them know that repeated violations will result in eviction.

You literally can't put up with tetoia skata. I second @Nathan G. 's suggestion of security cameras. You can set up a wireless system very cheap, and you can move it around all you want for future applications.

Hi George, 

At the apartment complex where I used to work, we sent out a notice to the tenants telling them we would charge $25/pile and that we were going to start DNA testing to see which dogs were the culprits. You could put up security cameras in the courtyard as well in order to catch them in the act. I would just make sure that your lease covers your pet waste policy. 

This is a huge problem where I live. My tenant neighbors leave their dog poop all over the front of the building.

Originally posted by @Katie Stewart :

Hi George, 

At the apartment complex where I used to work, we sent out a notice to the tenants telling them we would charge $25/pile and that we were going to start DNA testing to see which dogs were the culprits. You could put up security cameras in the courtyard as well in order to catch them in the act. I would just make sure that your lease covers your pet waste policy. 

I've heard of this being done successfully elsewhere. I specifically note how often pet waste is to be picked up in leases where the tenant has a pet (not less than twice weekly). 

Check with the city first.  There may be an ordinance that stipulates what a dog owner / controller must do when they animal does their business.  Usually these ordinances apply to both public and private property. 

@George Genovezos install one of these in the problem area. If you give the tenants access to bags and disposal, it is more likely they will clean up. Same with cigarette buts. If you have smokers put in a safe butt disposal station. People are lazy, but if you give them a way to do the right thing, most will. If that doesn't fix it, install cameras.

$211 on Amazon: Dog Waste Station

Zero Waste USA Dog Waste Station with Zero Waste Bag System

It's very tough at a MF because you really can't be sure who the culprit is. We send notices that we will be forced to change our pet policy and require everyone to get rid of their pets if everyone doesn't take responsibility for their pets. This will typically generate some feedback from the ones who aren't the culprits and then you can send the culprit a lease violation notice, assuming you have this in your lease.

What is in the lease concerning keeping the property in good livable safe condition ? I’d write up a warning letter that dog feces is unacceptable where families and children play and poses a health hazard to the other tenants due to bacteria insects and spreading of disease . Put in the letter that pets will now be monitored and if it continues it is a direct violation in the lease and grounds for eviction .