Brandon's Book - Is 50% cash on cash possible?

Brandon's Book - Is 50% cash on cash possible?

Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Re: The Book on Rental Property Investing (Chapter 3 on Sample plans - Plan 1). Brandon's plan "How to make $1 M", is based on 50% cash on cash return "after all expenses have been paid including" everything. Is it possible?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
8y

I don't have access to his book but I find it hard to believe he bases his model on a 50% cash-on-cash return. I believe I've heard him say he won't accept anything below 12% which is more realistic.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Mo Adam Yes, but you'll hate yourself for it. Trash assets produce staggering paper returns. We typically run from anything north of 15% in our market. I'm not saying there isn't a purple unicorn out there somewhere, but not in any established investment market...

    I haven't read that piece in a couple years...how'd you get the 50% CoC?

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    in this book, he is suggesting buying $80K fourplex with  $20K down and expecting $200 cash flow per unit after all expenses. So $200x4x12 months = 9600 (he rounded it to 10K). That's 50%. Page 54, The book on Rental Property Investing.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    I don't have access to his book but I find it hard to believe he bases his model on a 50% cash-on-cash return. I believe I've heard him say he won't accept anything below 12% which is more realistic.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    what @Nathan Gesner   said...  Brandon expects atleast 12%  (and hes right)

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Your ROI increases the less of your own money you use. I have several houses that have infinity cash on cash returns, meaning that on my original cash, I paid cash to buy the house, fixed it up, did a cash-out refinance on the property and got all of my money back, and make cash flow. One of my examples:

    $37k purchase + $12k rehab = $49k ARV $80k 75% cash out refi = $60k (56+ after closing costs) = none of my original money in the property ; expense ~$450 rent $800 monthly cash flow 350 = $4200/$0 (my original cash) = infinity.

    I'm pretty conservative and own most of my properties outright (no mortgage), so my ROI on most of my properties is 12-18%. I could turn most of those into infinity as well but then I'd have a boatload of cash that would have to go somewhere as well, and I'd be increasing my leverage to a number that doesn't interest me personally.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.