Is this consider a room ?

22 Replies

Hello guys, Newbie investor here. I have a house that rents around $1500 a mount as a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. The house actually has another room that is not shown on realtor.com or any Real State website. Is an attic room so the walls are slanted. The room has a window, a door and a open closet. I live in the state of Georgia (Hall county). I was wondering if I  could count this as another room? The rents for my property in rentometer for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath are around $1700. I read somewhere that the ceiling need it to be at least 7 feet to be consider a room and I do not know if the slated walls violate that or the open closet. 

Here is a picture:

Thank you guys for the help. 

Where I am from (Ohio) I believe the only requirement is a minimum size (sqft) and has to have a closet. I do not know about Georgia though.

@Juan M Restrepo . Is an “open closet” a closet without walls lol? If that’s the case I’m guessing that’s not a room since you don’t have an actual

Closet

Here in California bedrooms need to have an egress window.  To know if your window is large enough to comply with egress look up the measurements and operating style.  There are some dimension and square footage minimums, but those can be overlooked by a willing occupant.  The safety of meeting egress is a liability issue that I wouldn't ignore.

I think that you would need to see how much floor space you have with a 7 foot height.  I do not think it looks like you have enough.  How much floor space you need for a bedroom varies by location, but should be at least 7'x6'.  I do not think you have that.  

Also the window must be large enough to serve as an emergency exit for a large size adult to fit through.  And it must open enough for the person to fit through, not broken.  Each area will have difference size requirements.  On a home that was built in 1950s I had to put in a casement window or loose the bedroom classification when replacing windows.

And that is not really a closet either.  

I think you would be better off calling it bonus space or a playroom.

You will need to check with your building department.  As mentioned above, the walls have a minimum height, a window for escaping in case of a fire , and a closet are all things you will want to check on.  I doubt that can be considered a legal bedroom. 

@Juan M Restrepo Stop doing research and just rent it out as a 4 bed...simple The "rent police" are not going to arrest you...lol

In ohio you need a door, a window, a closet, and you can not walk through one bedroom to get to another. enclose the closet and you have a bedroom.

Thank you guys for the advice. I think I will consider what you said Rob and enclose the closet. The room is actually really large. The picture I took is only half the room and the window is big enough for some to get out and the same size as the rest of the house.  

The slanted walls don't allow enough headroom to make this a full living space. I would also be concerned about whether there is a window and if it is large enough to allow someone to escape (and it has to be operational).

Personally, I think it's dishonest to advertise it as a bedroom because it's clearly not. However, you can advertise it as a bonus room and the tenant can decide whether they use it as a bedroom or not.

Here is the rules for slanted ceilings per the ICC codes.

You need 7 feet in height for 1/3 of the required room size.  The minimum size for a bedroom is 70 square feet.  1/3 of 70 is 24 rounded up.  The floor area where ceiling height is less than 5 feet do not count as square footage.  The minimum room size is 70 square feet for one person and 100 square feet for two persons.  It looks like it’s to small.  Still need to meet window egress of 5.7 square feet of openable window and smoke detector.  Carbon detector if there are gas appliances in the building.

Your area might be different but this is the standard requirement.

Good Luck.

Put a door on the closet. You call it all you want. It is a converted attic often used for storage.

Originally posted by @Juan M Restrepo :

Hello guys, Newbie investor here. I have a house that rents around $1500 a mount as a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house. The house actually has another room that is not shown on realtor.com or any Real State website. Is an attic room so the walls are slanted. The room has a window, a door and a open closet. I live in the state of Georgia (Hall county). I was wondering if I  could count this as another room? The rents for my property in rentometer for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath are around $1700. I read somewhere that the ceiling need it to be at least 7 feet to be consider a room and I do not know if the slated walls violate that or the open closet. 

Here is a picture:

Thank you guys for the help. 

The ceiling height may be too low for it to qualify as a legal bedroom. That said it's clearly being used as one & the perspective tenants will likely see the value in using this room as a 4th bedroom.

If you are getting $1,500/mo right now & think you can increase that up to $1,700 based on other comps well there is nothin' to it but to do it dawg. Post some new ads & see what the market says. If you are right & can get $1,700 the market will tell you. If you are wrong the market is going to tell you that as well.

@Juan M Restrepo

I would go with what Nathan said. I think the best option is to advertise it as 3 bedroom but when potential tenants come to look at the home tell them they have the options to make it a 4th bedroom. And in property description explain that it could be used as a 4th bedroom as well.

Good luck

As far as the window is concerned to make sure it is large enough also you might want to consider purchasing 2-3 Story 25-foot Portable Fire Escape Ladder like this if there is only one window.

@Kenneth Garrett that was great info. I will measure it when I get home to see if meets those requirements. I was wondering what you search for to find this info so I can see what is specific to my area. If it does not I will just call it a bonus room.

@Juan M Restrepo

You can go online to review code requirements at iccsafe.org.  I have been a code official for a number of years.  This is the basic info.

Hope this helps.

Legally will depend on your municipality. For appraisal purposes that's what they'll go off of. 

But in areas I work, if a bed fits, its a bedroom in the eyes of renters. In this case of it not being a "true" bedroom, don't comp your rents at a 4BR rate, but just slightly below. If you really get push-back, advertise it as a "3BR + bonus room".

Call it a room or not, it is a bonus space that increases the usefulness of the property. 

I probably would not call this a bedroom.  The top of the ceiling is not wide, so most of the space has a compromised ceiling height.   The open closet is mediocre.  Try hanging a longer coat or dress.

In most cases, at least from my experience, it needs to be an enclosed closet in order for it to be considered a bedroom.

@Juan M Restrepo if you have 7’ high, it clearly would have the sq’ mentioned in the ICC min req. who’s going to argue over a few inches?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here