Votes
Adam Britt
  • Bessemer, AL
Votes |
Need advice on possible investment in rough area

Adam Britt
  • Bessemer, AL
Posted Mar 20 2019, 08:30

I would like some opinions about an upcoming possibility. I apologize for the wall of text but I want to provide accurate detail for best advice.

I’m one of the millions struggling hard against a massive student debt that currently requires 1/2 of everything I make. Money is scarce even working 2 jobs.

Real estate is the only way I will ever escape. The rat race, while I am paid semi-decently, can never get me out of 12-15% interest student loans of 100k.

Paying off my loans aren’t really an option. I would need to massively increase my salary to even pay the loan down with that interest rate. Let alone pay it off.

All that is to say ... I’m dying to get into real estate, but saving up to buy isn’t practical. It would take me 60 years to save that kind of cash. So I need to use the magic of OPM (other peoples money).

Now, I have great credit and can probably get some solid loans, including from family. But I want to be very cautious from overextending myself. As such, higher price properties are ... frightening to me.

An older relative has just moved out of a 3/1 in a very rough neighborhood. I would probably consider it C/D class. She built the house in the 60s and has lived there till recently. I believe I could get the house for probably 10-15k. She is only expecting pennies for it. My ideal would be to Section 8 the house.

However, I would love y’alls opinion.

What costs would you all warn me about? Will I need to redo electrical and such due to the age of the house to make it housing compliant? What would you budget for that?

Would a rough area stop you from considering a deal like this? I see dollar signs with a 700-800$ section 8 rent with nearly no overhead if I can get this thing with 10,000$, but I don’t know what dangers and problems to expect down the line.

Please illuminate me to what you would look for! I originally wrote the house off due to expected repair costs but ... a friend who flips for an investor insisted it may be worth it if I can cover those with private loans .... unless the area itself would make this a no-go.

This is near Birmingham AL in a higher crime area in case that helps.

Loading replies...