House Hacking: I can have a dog but my tenants can't, PROBLEM?

7 Replies

If I am house hacking a duplex (living in top unit, tenants in bottom), I am curious if their is a problem with having a dog myself, but my tenants are not allowed one. I am speaking for morals/social issues more than any legal ones, thanks!

It’s your house. Do you need to it the tenant on the deed as well to feel fair? :)

@Bryan Cavellier do Tenants get a share of their rent or appreciation it tax write-offs? If they want what you have, they should house hack like you did. It's not an issue.

However... Over half of all renters have a pet. By forbidding them, you are eliminating half the possible renters. Most people are responsible pet owners yet so many Landlords will not allow them. You should figure out how to mitigate the risk and make more money. Screen the people AND the animal. Charge an increased deposit and increase the monthly rent. I've seen people pay an extra $300 a month just to have their dog!

Originally posted by @Nathan G. :

@Bryan Cavellier do Tenants get a share of their rent or appreciation it tax write-offs? If they want what you have, they should house hack like you did. It's not an issue.

However... Over half of all renters have a pet. By forbidding them, you are eliminating half the possible renters. Most people are responsible pet owners yet so many Landlords will not allow them. You should figure out how to mitigate the risk and make more money. Screen the people AND the animal. Charge an increased deposit and increase the monthly rent. I've seen people pay an extra $300 a month just to have their dog! 

Agreed..  class A apartments in our areas all allow dogs .. of certain size and exclude some of the known breeds that insurance wont cover. then they set up doggie stations with poop bags etc.. and then they get a increase in rent.

I don't think it's a problem. I would tell them that you have a dog during the showing but that you don't allow tenants to have dogs for liability reasons. If they have a moral issue with that then they can choose to live somewhere else. 

Tell them to go buy their own house if they want a pet . Your house your rules ! Is it fair to drive a new Cadillac if the tenant is driving an old chevette ? Is it fair to wear designer clothes if the tenant is wearing outdated stuff from goodwill ? Last I checked this America . The tenant has free will to leave if they want .

@Bryan Cavellier you should totally charge pet rent as some of the other people have mentioned. It is one of the simplest methods of picking up an extra revenue stream, and as long as you screen the pets you should be able to up your income with very limited effort. Just put in hard surface floors, etc.