Device to Individually Meter Multifamily Water?

5 Replies

I could have sworn I heard on a BP podcast episode that there is a device (or devices) you can attach to existing plumbing that effectively individually meters each unit of a multifamily property without actually separating and metering each unit, but I can't remember what it's called. Does anyone in the forums know what I'm talking about?

I'm just wrapping up negotiations on a 9-unit and would love to be able to install these to individually meter each unit. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

@Peter Jaglom

Hey Peter! You’ll want to get electronic read sub meters, coupled with an electronic master (sub) meter to measure total water moving to the complex. There are several different styles and brands. Wired, wireless, manual read. All depends on ease of use, setup of infrastructure and cost.

Master Meter, Hersey, Neptune are the big three manufactures. You’ll need to purchase from a supply house like FERGUSON Waterworks. Don’t hesitate to email me if you need some contacts. I used to sell them and worked in the waterworks space if you have questions.

Hi Peter

I am facing the same problem of shared water meter which is really damaging the whole investment with tenants' carelessness and ridiculously high water bills. I have contacted plumbing company here in Tampa for submeters and came out with about $5K for each unit which is also very expensive choice.

I wonder if you came to find a more reasonable option? Will appreciate your feedback.

Originally posted by @Zaid Badabwan :

Hi Peter

I am facing the same problem of shared water meter which is really damaging the whole investment with tenants' carelessness and ridiculously high water bills. I have contacted plumbing company here in Tampa for submeters and came out with about $5K for each unit which is also very expensive choice.

I wonder if you came to find a more reasonable option? Will appreciate your feedback.

You need to shop around. Are you sure he didn't mean $5,000 total?

The cost to install a submeter system is typically around $400 - $600 per apartment.

Example 1

Example 2

Just search Google for "water submeter" and research. Get a quote from several plumbers and buy the meters yourself to save some money.