Ex tenant wants to rent again..

16 Replies

Would you ever "Re-Rent" Your property to an unfavorable ex tenant?

• Have a tenant from a few months ago ( did not renew her lease, because he was severely hoarding and causing damages )
  • He has the courage and confidence to ask if she can rent from us again.... lollll How do we kindly say "no  way bud "

@Charlie Moore

Hoarding? Oh no way. Just tell them no. Also take a minute to recognize that telling them no should be easy - the fact that you are stumbling on this may indicate your potential complacency with other units. So, you should reevaluate to see whether you are being too nice. This is business, not charity. If you finance your properties, the banks aren't going to be very charitable with you.

Originally posted by @Charlie Moore :

@James Galla

Agreed. This business is about making money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is it discriminatory to say “ NO “ though?

I'd suggest a consult with a fair housing attorney to learn more about what discrimination is not permissible.

Of course not. I had a tenant rent from me in January. She broke the lease after four months. We didn't lose anything because she left it clean and her deposit covered the unpaid rent until we found someone new. But she came back to me last month and asked to rent again because she has a better job and more stable income. I reminded her that she violated the contract and I don't want to rent to someone that doesn't fulfill their obligations. She can rent from someone else, build a good reputation, and then come back to me. She asked me four times, even offered to pay a double deposit and higher rent, but I still turned her down.

If they don't respect the lease the first time, they won't respect it the second time.

Originally posted by @Charlie Moore :

Would you ever "Re-Rent" Your property to an unfavorable ex tenant?

• Have a tenant from a few months ago ( did not renew her lease, because he was severely hoarding and causing damages )
  • He has the courage and confidence to ask if she can rent from us again.... lollll How do we kindly say "no  way bud "

Having read lots of posts from you, you are never shy about saying direct or even offensive things. You have even talked about getting into arguments with tenants. I am not sure why you are all the sudden struggling?

Just say, "sorry we are unable to rent to you". If they want a reason, it is the same reason you didn't renew their lease (hoarding and damage). If they push after you give the reason, just state "the decision is final, there is no reason to waste our time discussing it." Just keep calmly repeating the same answer and they will go away after they realize your firm. 

@Charlie Moore - I hope that's not your best option in the pool of applicants. I'm not an attorney but why would it be discriminatory to say No. Almost every landlord reviews the best candidate according to their application criteria.  One item is checked off the list - No need to call their former landlord because that would be you.

Nope, just say no.   

I had a tenant who had to leave one property because she had a fight with her female roommate and had a no contact order.  Then I get a call that she was interested in renting another property with her BF who I had also rented the first house to,  the previous year. They did not know I owned the second property so I just didn't call back when I found out it was her.  I then get a call from her Mom getting aggressive.   Just say no, people don't change that quickly.

I wouldn't return their call.   Once a tenant has left, and the transaction has ended, I tend not to communicate with them again.  I am friendly, but not friends with any tenants.

One time, as my husband, who is a very kind and nice man, was walking out of court from an eviction hearing (in which the eviction was approved), the tenant approached him and asked if she could rent from him again!

We have over 30 units in the same town.  I save every tenant's phone number in my phone, with their unit and name.  It's amazing how many times I've had an evicted tenant call about renting again from us.  Of course I don't even answer their call.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here