Ex tenant wants to rent again..

Ex tenant wants to rent again..

Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes

Would you ever "Re-Rent" Your property to an unfavorable ex tenant?

  • Have a tenant from a few months ago ( did not renew her lease, because he was severely hoarding and causing damages )
  • He has the courage and confidence to ask if she can rent from us again.... lollll How do we kindly say "no  way bud "
0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

Of course not. I had a tenant rent from me in January. She broke the lease after four months. We didn't lose anything because she left it clean and her deposit covered the unpaid rent until we found someone new. But she came back to me last month and asked to rent again because she has a better job and more stable income. I reminded her that she violated the contract and I don't want to rent to someone that doesn't fulfill their obligations. She can rent from someone else, build a good reputation, and then come back to me. She asked me four times, even offered to pay a double deposit and higher rent, but I still turned her down.

If they don't respect the lease the first time, they won't respect it the second time.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore

    Hoarding? Oh no way. Just tell them no. Also take a minute to recognize that telling them no should be easy - the fact that you are stumbling on this may indicate your potential complacency with other units. So, you should reevaluate to see whether you are being too nice. This is business, not charity. If you finance your properties, the banks aren't going to be very charitable with you.

  • Rental Property Investor · D.C · Member since 2019 · 501 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @James Galla

    Agreed. This business is about making money. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Is it discriminatory to say “ NO “ though?

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    @James Galla

    Agreed. This business is about making money. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Is it discriminatory to say “ NO “ though?

    I'd suggest a consult with a fair housing attorney to learn more about what discrimination is not permissible.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Of course not. I had a tenant rent from me in January. She broke the lease after four months. We didn't lose anything because she left it clean and her deposit covered the unpaid rent until we found someone new. But she came back to me last month and asked to rent again because she has a better job and more stable income. I reminded her that she violated the contract and I don't want to rent to someone that doesn't fulfill their obligations. She can rent from someone else, build a good reputation, and then come back to me. She asked me four times, even offered to pay a double deposit and higher rent, but I still turned her down.

    If they don't respect the lease the first time, they won't respect it the second time.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner 100% agree. Hopefully she learned something instead of being a dead-beat for the next landlord. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore  You chose not to renew her lease for whatever reason, just tell her no.  You are basing this off your experience with her much the same as you'd do if you got an unfavourable reference from another landlord.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Charlie Moore:

    Would you ever "Re-Rent" Your property to an unfavorable ex tenant?

    • Have a tenant from a few months ago ( did not renew her lease, because he was severely hoarding and causing damages )
    • He has the courage and confidence to ask if she can rent from us again.... lollll How do we kindly say "no  way bud "

     Having read lots of posts from you, you are never shy about saying direct or even offensive things. You have even talked about getting into arguments with tenants. I am not sure why you are all the sudden struggling?

    Just say, "sorry we are unable to rent to you". If they want a reason, it is the same reason you didn't renew their lease (hoarding and damage). If they push after you give the reason, just state "the decision is final, there is no reason to waste our time discussing it." Just keep calmly repeating the same answer and they will go away after they realize your firm. 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore - I hope that's not your best option in the pool of applicants. I'm not an attorney but why would it be discriminatory to say No. Almost every landlord reviews the best candidate according to their application criteria.  One item is checked off the list - No need to call their former landlord because that would be you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Commerce CIty, CO · Member since 2018 · 127 posts · 78 votes
    6y

    Just politely say no thanks and you are considering other candidates. Your not legally wrong in any way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    You could always cite a bad reference from a previous landlord as your disqualification factor :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, . . . 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore

    No. Second chances are earned.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Nope, just say no.   

    I had a tenant who had to leave one property because she had a fight with her female roommate and had a no contact order.  Then I get a call that she was interested in renting another property with her BF who I had also rented the first house to,  the previous year. They did not know I owned the second property so I just didn't call back when I found out it was her.  I then get a call from her Mom getting aggressive.   Just say no, people don't change that quickly.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I wouldn't return their call.   Once a tenant has left, and the transaction has ended, I tend not to communicate with them again.  I am friendly, but not friends with any tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Charlie Moore, it’s simple you just tell them no. You’re not their friend your a property owner. To be nice you could say, “ we are not accepting applications at this time”.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 421 votes
    6y

    One time, as my husband, who is a very kind and nice man, was walking out of court from an eviction hearing (in which the eviction was approved), the tenant approached him and asked if she could rent from him again!

    We have over 30 units in the same town.  I save every tenant's phone number in my phone, with their unit and name.  It's amazing how many times I've had an evicted tenant call about renting again from us.  Of course I don't even answer their call.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.