Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Julia Bolt
Votes |
Can property management make landlords pay fees not approved?

Julia Bolt
Posted Feb 23 2020, 17:24

I am a young landlord just renting out my first property. My property management company has been less than transparent, from my perspective. They have charged me for fees that are a surprise on my statement - and when I ask them about it - they claim that my last account administer (who has since left the company) told them that I had approved it but never did the due diligence of double checking with me. Are they allowed to charge me for fees that I never approved? If not, how can I get my money back as they are holding it?

I have also been charged a couple of fees that I DID approve, but was given the impression they would be small cheap jobs, but then when the bill came they were much more. 

Every month when the statement comes I've have charges I did not recognize, and the math never adds up correctly in the end. I end up having to call and speak with multiple representatives just to get to the bottom of it. 

I'm getting to the end of my rope, and wondering how I can switch companies smoothly even though the tenant signed a lease with this company. Please help! And if you know of any great companies in the Baltimore area, please do let me know! Feeling a bit at a loss of what to do, and powerless. 

Thanks so much! 

Best, 

Julia

Loading replies...