Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Shane Welch
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
Nightmare Tenant + What should I have done different?

Shane Welch
  • Norfolk, VA
Posted Apr 7 2020, 08:05

For those of you reading this is a bit of a rant/story, followed by a couple questions.  Please let me know what I SHOULD have done in this situation, so I can know better in the future.  Thank you for reading.

This year started out great, I got looking for my second rental property in late December, I found the house that we had been eyeing and put in an offer, after much back an fourth with the owner, we finally settled on a price and closing took only 3 weeks for a VA loan. February 1st is when I took ownership of the duplex, and both units already had tenants set up by the previous owner a month before. I will glaze over the downstairs tenant as they are fantastic, gets get straight to the upstairs nightmare.

The first thing I wanted to do was sign on the tenants to my companies lease agreement, as the one they were previously on looked like the owner straight downloaded it from a google image of a "lease agreement" search.  I get to the house and meet with the tenant and start all the paperwork.  Because we met on the 6th of February, I told her she wouldn't incur a  late fee, (she was paying by check).  Once I got there, however, guess what wasn't present when I first arrived?  THE CHECK.  Already to a great start, we get rolling with the paperwork, once we get to the section about her employment and me asking for pay stubs, she tells me, and I quote "well, I am unemployed, however, I drive for post mates sometimes to make money, and I should be receiving disability sometime soon".   I already can tell this is very very bad, but I try to be positive and give her until February 15th to pay me the months rent, and no late fee till the 16th.  Her rent is $750.

By March 6th, she still has not paid me a dime, and is now not answering my texts, or coming to the door when I knock (her car was there the few times I came).  It wasnt until AFTER I posted the 5 day pay or quit that she texted me back, stating she will pay her rent in full in a week.   I tell her I will drop the eviction if she does pay in a week.   She only paid $180 of her balance and nothing else that week.  So by the 12th I went to the courthouse and filled for eviction. 

My court date is tomorrow and I am trying to prep all my documents, Im pretty sure everything will go smoothly, as she still has 3 months rent and late rent fees still unpaid.  Almost $3,000.   Right now, I am just pissed because of how much money this is costing me.   Im pissed that the previous owner was stupid enough to do NO BACKGROUND OR INCOME check, like, how careless can you be for a buck man?   But anyways, I have not spoken to the tenant other than giving her notice that I am following through with the eviction.

What should I have done differently?   Should I be more communicating with her, like hounding her to pay or leave?   She dosnt seem to give a S***, so I figured legally speaking not saying anything was the best course of action, and to just wait for the court day.   What do you think?   Thoughts, opinions?   Thank you guys for listening.

Loading replies...