Pet odor: Ozone Generator Makes Magic!

22 Replies

I have an ozone generator that continues to surprise me. I use it to remove odors in a variety of situations like smoke, pets, or even certain food smells. 

Last year I took over management of a nice house but it had a slight pet odor in the basement. Previous tenants had lived there for 10 years, were elderly, and had two small dogs. It's not unusual to have some "accidents" and the smell was barely noticeable. Before we could even attempt to remedy it, another couple wanted to rent the property and accepted it "as is" because they didn't even notice the odor. 

They moved out last week and had the carpets cleaned. The pet odor was stronger than before. This seems to happen when carpets are cleaned and it brings the odors back up. I took my ozone machine to the house and ran it for 12 hours. I went back the next day and the odor was TERRIBLE! It was much, much worse than before and actually making me gag, which is hard to do. I thought the carpet would have to be replaced because it was awful. However, I decided to try airing the space out and then run the ozone machine one more time.

I went back on day three and the odor is completely gone! I can't smell even a hint of it! I closed the house up and checked it again the fourth day and the odor is still gone. It's a miracle!

The ozone generator doesn't always work but it works most of the time and sometimes it works miracles!

Has anyone else used one? Is your experience the same?

I agree with @Nathan G. the equipment works great.  Cat urine is probably the worst.  I generally remove the carpet because it gets in the fibers and padding you just can’t remove it well enough.

Great tip.

@Nathan G.

Agreed! Just had a tenant move out (after 3 months of tenancy). Found out she snuck 4 cats in the place! Awful, awful smell! Ozone machine (along with carpet cleaning) got rid of all of the smells! Place was re-rented in 1 week.

@Nathan G.

Yeah My 200 dollar ozone has save me thousands in carpet replacement maybe 10s of thousands if you figured lost rent down time due to not having to tear out or repaint a unit.

Originally posted by @Kenneth Garrett :

I agree with @Nathan G. the equipment works great.  Cat urine is probably the worst.  I generally remove the carpet because it gets in the fibers and padding you just can’t remove it well enough.

Great tip.

Exactly. It works well for general pet odors and dog urine, but doesn't work very well on cat urine. I'm trying to find a utility for cat urine so I can bottle and sell it because it's potent stuff!

Yes! We love our machine. We recently turned a house that didn't need a complete repaint - just some touch up, so it didn't get that fresh paint smell. However, there was a lingering doggy odor until we ran the ozone generator over night. We had several comments from applicants: "It smells so nice/fresh in here! Did you just paint?"

A friend had a very bad mold issue in his house. Even after remediation, the smell was bad. We loaned him our machine and a 12 hour treatment took care of the problem.

Magic!

How does it work on homes of professional smokers? My wife is about to take a listing that you can smell it at the mailbox 🤮🤮. Also, where do you get them and what brand? Thanks.

Clint

We used ours last year to get rid of bed bugs in an 8 plex (quotes we got from pest control companies ranged from $2-5k). It may take several treatments as the bugs sometimes leave and come back, but it gets the job done eventually. 

Originally posted by @Clint Shelley :

How does it work on homes of professional smokers? My wife is about to take a listing that you can smell it at the mailbox 🤮🤮. Also, where do you get them and what brand? Thanks.

Clint

They work well for cigarette smoke. You may still have to use kilz primer and repaint (especially ceilings) and replace carpet if the smoke damage is really bad though. We turned a long-time smoker's unit last year and had to run ozone for almost a full week, plus painted and replaced carpet. 

@Nathan G. Any chance you could provide a link to the unit? I have a light odor in the basement (cats) I'd like to eliminate. 

I wonder if everyone bought one, we could plug the hole in the ozone layer?

@Steve K.

Thanks Steve. The house was a flip that she moved into a year ago (wife had her as the buyer then). Seems like she's kept a cigarette burning the whole time. Good idea on the ceiling. We'll give it a shot.

Clint

@Nathan G. part of the issue is moisture too. When the carpet and pad is wet, it will put off urine odor. Once it dries, the smell goes away. My guess is if you got the carpet wet or even opened the windows on a humid summer day, the smell would come back to some degree. I assure you urine is never gone, it is always lurking in the pad or subfloor. We bring over a dehumidifier after carpets are cleaned to speed the moisture removal process.

But to your original point, yes the ozone machine will remove major odors. It is really good with smoke in particular, but also great on urine or food smells. I have found the best approach with an ozone machine is run it in a closed space, then open the windows for a day, then run it again in a closed space, then open windows again. Cycle like that until the odors are gone. 

As a caution to anyone using one, never breathe air from an ozone machine. The space should be vacant when running and thoroughly aired out before entering. Ozone is very harmful to your lungs, even brief exposure can cause damage.

Originally posted by @Karla Temple :

@Joe Splitrock

I’ve been wondering. Would it be safe to use an ozone machine in a vacant unit in a 4-unit house-like building? Is the seepage under a door dangerous to other tenants? Thanks!!

It really depends on how separate the spaces are. There will be some leakage. Ozone is basically like concentrated smog so it can really affect people with asthma. If the other units have windows they can open, it would probably be fine, since there is a source of fresh air. In the dead of winter with everything sealed tight, it may not be great. A professional remediation company would want the space vacant. 

@Nathan G.

Nathan: did you get ozone only, plus UV or plus UV and charcoal? (I’d never seen those as options.)

Did you see the advertisement in the link you sent at amazon says UV2 can be used in occupied spaces.  Which I thought was weird as I had always herd to only use in unoccupied spaces. But when you click on the UV2 it has printed right on the front fo it. Do not use in occupied spaces. 

Originally posted by @Bill Brandt :

@Nathan G.

Nathan: did you get ozone only, plus UV or plus UV and charcoal? (I’d never seen those as options.)

Did you see the advertisement in the link you sent at amazon says UV2 can be used in occupied spaces.  Which I thought was weird as I had always herd to only use in unoccupied spaces. But when you click on the UV2 it has printed right on the front fo it. Do not use in occupied spaces. 

I have the standard. I have never used one with UV or charcoal and I have no idea if they would improve the situation or not. Charcoal is good at absorbing odors but it seems you would have to replace that quite often. I've never looked into it.

Originally posted by @Clint Shelley :

Clint

I bought an Enerzen Ozone machine on Amazon for $80. After paying $600 for professional carpet cleaning in the entire house, I put the ozone machine in every room of my smoked-inside-for-40-years newly purchased home and in a weekend, the smell was gone.

I got essentially a $100k discount on the home because of this smell and the pool in the backyard. Seller needed money, NO ONE wanted to tackle all the stuff wrong with this house. After the smoke was gone, it was just ugly. 

Your sellers should stop smoking in the home, pay for professional carpet cleaning if there is carpet (my carpet is super high quality and looked nice until my kids ruined it because it's white. Who buys white carpet?!?) and then hit it with ozone. Your wife should invest $80 as a business expense and she'll use it multiple times.