What should i do if my property manager reports NSF reversal on

What should i do if my property manager reports NSF reversal on

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

What should i do if my property manager reports NSF reversal on my monthly statement? Does the tenant have to pay penalty, and if so, who does the penalty goes to? 

0Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

Talk to your property manager because they are the only one that can answer this. 

My lease states the tenant will be charged for any banking fees and late fees caused by an NSF payment. If they pay on the 3rd but the payment is reversed on the 10th, I charge them the NSF fee (mine is $50 but the bank charges $25) and I charge them late fees because now their payment is overdue. I give them 72 hours to make good on the entire amount or I start the eviction process.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Talk to your property manager because they are the only one that can answer this. 

    My lease states the tenant will be charged for any banking fees and late fees caused by an NSF payment. If they pay on the 3rd but the payment is reversed on the 10th, I charge them the NSF fee (mine is $50 but the bank charges $25) and I charge them late fees because now their payment is overdue. I give them 72 hours to make good on the entire amount or I start the eviction process.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    This is a question for your property management contract and lease documents @Nana Sibo. 

    If this is a repeat offense for this particular tenant, it might be time to remove the option of personal check from their payment options. If a tenant sends us multiple bad checks we require them to pay us via money order or cashier's check moving forward.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks, everyone for your response. Well appreciated.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Be sure you understand what will happen if the tenant refuses to pay NSF fees or any other fees for that matter.

    In our property management contract it states we charge the owner, then reimburse them once the tenant pays.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.