Shishir Mahajan
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
How to become a property manager in Kansas

Shishir Mahajan
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Mar 1 2021, 19:19

Hello BP!

I have been a passive reader on the forum for a couple of months now, and feel it's time to post my first post.

Posting on behalf of a friend, who lives in Kansas and is planning to become a property manager.

On the link here: https://www.allpropertymanagem...

It says that one doesn't need a RE broker's license if they are managing a residential property.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Therefore, a real estate broker's license is not required if the property being rented out or leased is a residential property. A license is required if the property is commercial. A salesperson working under a broker may engage in such activities.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Does that mean, he can just setup an LLC, and manage properties, list and show properties to prospective tenants, collect payments, etc?

After researching on the BP forum, Some of the posts around property management mentioned, that if you are collecting payments for property management services rendered, you do need a RE broker license. Working without a license is illegal. This contradicts what is in the link above.

I would really appreciate it if someone can clarify this for us?

My second question is: In case he does need to get a RE broker license:https://www.theceshop.com/kans...

The above link step (5) requires you to find a sponsoring broker (or a RE firm) under which you would need to work for 2 years before you can apply for a RE broker license. Does this also apply to someone who just wants to run his own property management firm, and not do a job?

TIA!

Loading replies...