• Cody, WY
Votes |
L.A. Creates New Law, Bans Tenant Harrassment

Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorPosted Jun 11 2021, 06:00

https://www.latimes.com/califo...

Here are some interesting activities that will be banned, along with my comments:

Deceiving residents about whether they are required to move out (what is "deceit"? If I tell a tenant they have to move out because there are too many noise violations, is that "deceitful" because I didn't instruct them on all their options? Are we getting to the point where I have to give them legal advice? Do I have to tell them they can legally stop paying rent and I can't evict them because of the moratorium?)

Trying to coerce a tenant to leave by offering them payment (say good-bye to "cash for keys")

Revealing the immigration status of a tenant to others or threatening to do so
(If I cross the border to any advanced country in the world, including Mexico, I can be arrested and deported because it's a crime. Now it's illegal to report a crime?)

Failing to follow standards to protect renters from asbestos, dust, lead paint and other health hazards (dust? So if my neighbor is working on his house or the city is working on the streets, it's my responsibility to tent the house? What's next? Holding the umbrella for them as they walk to their car in the rain?)

Refusing to acknowledge or accept lawful payments of rent
(real example: tenant cuts off communication and doesn't pay rent for five months so Landlord starts eviction process. Tenant shows up with full payment to catch up. This law would force the Landlord to accept it which removes the justification for eviction and it can all start over again.)

These cities/states continue to create more regulations to protect bad renters. I can't recall a single law created to punish tenants that fail to pay rent, shut off communication, sneak in three dogs or six family members, physically destroy a property, etc. Government is almost always on the side of the bad guy.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

Loading replies...