Santa Cruz Meetup!

20 Replies

• 10/03/14 07:00PM
  • Burger.Aptos
  • Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Report Event

831! It's time to do it again. I like bouncing around. So let's do Burger.Aptos (7941 Soquel Dr) next week Oct 3rd at 7pm! Come meet the investors who live on this side of the hill! Last time we started the Great Debate with Shane about Appreciation and why it's a better Wealth Builder.  Who knows what we will get into next week.

Keywords: Santa Cruz, Salinas, Capitola, La Selva, Moss Landing, Oakland, Felton, Ben Lomond, Monterey, Moss Bay, San Jose, Cupertino, Watsonville, Gilroy, Soquel, Los Gatos, East Bay, South Bay, Penninsula, Meetup

@Eileen Burke Woodward , @Brad Gustafson , @Uuri Koh , @Eric Mun  

@Marilynn Woodcock , @Marcie Montis , @Erle Mcdonald , @Kenny Boyd

@Dylan M, @Shane Pearlman , @Steffen Vulpius , @BeBe Cheng  

@Joey Budka @Denise D , @Daniel S. , @Dan Kelly, @Helen Chau  

@Jacob Y.

Good call on the location @Troy Fisher  . I don't think I can make this one (although there is a chance I might be able to sneak out after everyone goes to bed). I will set one up in mid /late november, if anyone has any preferred dates.

Mid Novemeber is the Real Estate Summit up in San Fran being put on by @J Martin .  I went early with October so that there's room for another one early in November before the Holidays kick in.

@Troy Fisher  ,

Thanks for the shout-out on the Summit, and to anyone thinking about, there are going to be some awesome speakers and other investors to connect with at the event in SF on Nov 15 & 16.

I would like to make a trip down to San Jose, but have an appointment already on the evening of 10/3 in the South Bay. If not, I'll just keep driving down to Santa Cruz!

@Shane Pearlman  , are you still looking for a 1031 property? (saw in your signature) You're getting really close, no?

@Troy Fisher  - thanks for the reminder on the dates. Had it on my calendar but forgot to check.

@J. Martin  - it was slow going but we found a builder who had 4 brand new 3br townhomes in magnolia he had yet to short flat (divide the parcel) and needed money (got him to come down 10% under market). That gets us a solid cap rate for the area (just over 5 cap) and possibly higher depending on the rents we get. Removed contingencies this week. I wouldn't call this my best deal ever, but it is in a solid neighborhood that is really emerging and has virtually no capex for a while. 

When I am on the 1031 train, sometimes good enough is a relief. And in the future, I'll probably do the lot split and sell them off one at a time.

@Shane Pearlman  ,

Glad you got it taken care of. I know, it seems like a relief to get any deal relative to paying the taxes.. I know a few people up here are using high-end flips or construction projects to roll their 1031 when they can't find a long-term property, then do it again at the end once they find something. But if you got it taken care of a different (or similar) way, good!

Hopefully the market winds will still be at your back when it's finished. I've heard of some softening in the periphery areas...

We considered the flip, but since you have to sit on it for a year in order to 1031 again, and I'm not confident in the timing right now (as you stated @J. Martin  ), I went blue chip instead. Even if the market tanks, these are brand new, cash positive and in a strong area. Fine place to park my money for a while. And since it is a "4-plex", I was able to lock 30 yr financing.

Miss hanging out buddy. I'm trying to get julie to buy off on me taking a few days for your event, but have to travel on business for a week and change before, so the prospect of me leaving again is not met with glee. Trying to convince her to bring the kids for the day.

Hey @Troy Fisher  and @Shane Pearlman  , sorry I am out of town on 10/3. Going to Dallas and San Antonio. Would love to catch up with you guys when I return and share what I think about investing in Texas... have a great time!

Originally posted by @Troy Fisher:

831! It's time to do it again. I like bouncing around. So let's do Burger.Aptos (7941 Soquel Dr) next week Oct 3rd at 7pm! Come meet the investors who live on this side of the hill! Last time we started the Great Debate with Shane about Appreciation and why it's a better Wealth Builder.  Who knows what we will get into next week.

Keywords: Santa Cruz, Salinas, Capitola, La Selva, Moss Landing, Oakland, Felton, Ben Lomond, Monterey, Moss Bay, San Jose, Cupertino, Watsonville, Gilroy, Soquel, Los Gatos, East Bay, South Bay, Penninsula, Meetup

@Jacob Y.

I haven't heard a resounding "Yes" to this date, so there's another event that coincides with this one up north a ways in Milipitas.  Let's not do this Friday (Oct 3rd.) does the 10th work better for people?  Or are we into the holiday season already with exciting travel plans and feverish work schedules?

Sorry people, I can't make it again. I am really looking forward to a local meet-up though!

Originally posted by @Dan Kelly:

Sorry people, I can't make it again. I am really looking forward to a local meet-up though!

Is the 10th better?

I may be able to slip out after the kids are in bed.

The tenth works for me!  Looking forward to it!

@Jacob Y.

I haven't heard a resounding "Yes" to this date, so there's another event that coincides with this one up north a ways in Milipitas.  Let's not do this Friday (Oct 3rd.) does the 10th work better for people?  Or are we into the holiday season already with exciting travel plans and feverish work schedules?

Hey all just a friendly reminder that tomorrow night Oct 10th, we will be meeting at Burger.Aptos!  Great networking is expected! 

Bumping in case you missed yesterdays post!  I'll attempt to sit inside in the family dining area.  If we aren't there, bring a jacket and I'll get a spot near the gas heaters!  

I'm sorry...we've come down with ebola (not really) or something so we won't make it tonight.

Im hoping to make it but not sure ill be able to make this week. Haveva great time if I dont make it.

Had a great time last night, Troy!  Thank you for organizing the meeting!  And the food was great...bacon wrapped, guacamole smothered burger...yum!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.