Golden, CO · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 12 votes
I did a quick search and found some older discussions but nothing recent so I thought I'd ask here:
For those of you who list your STR simultaneously on both airbnb and VRBO, what are some methods to avoid problems such as double bookings? I know there are various programs/apps out there but I thought I'd ask for advice based on personal experience. Are there other problems/solutions to know about when double listing?
We self-operate a STR and so far have only listed it on VRBO. We did that initially to avoid the double-booking problem and to focus on ramping up reviews on just one platform. We've got great reviews on VRBO so I don't think we need to exclusively focus there and I'd like to be able to hopefully capture more potential renters by also listing on airbnb. I've seen the numbers and our market is split pretty evenly between the two platforms - it seems to make sense to market on both at this point unless there's a significant reason not to.
Investor · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2021 · 73 posts · 53 votes
4y
I would HIGHLY recommend using all the possible platforms you can be on. Listing on Airbnb and syncing the calendars can be done, but my preference is to choose a powerful channel manager to do it all in 1. I use Guesty for this and have loved it. I can only look in 1 place for my listing. It's listed on Airbnb, VRBO, booking.com and a few others. I don't have to worry about double bookings, I can store all my automated messages for all the platforms in 1 place, I see all messages in 1 place, I can block my calendar 1 time if needed in 1 place, and I can automate the cleaning prompts for my cleaner at my determined day/time. It also includes all the info for my cleaner so she knows how many to setup for in the next guest check in.
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
If you are in a heavy STR area, I really encourage you to pick one or the other. We are in the Gatlinburg TN area, and we supplement our direct website with VRBO. We are integrated with them. All of our properties achieve 300-320 nights per year occupancy.
I think the Airbnb platform is rather clunky for both owners and guests as compared to VRBO. I am surprised that it is as big of a thing as it is. Airbnb is also very pro-guest, and that will cost you $$ several times a year. The actions that they took during COVID were unethical and frankly, unconscionable.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
When starting use both to maximize your rresults...as @John Underwood said, they have a 'sync' feature that prevents double bookings. Although I have had it fail a few times.
I agree with @Collin Hays said, VRBO is highly preferable. AIR is very heavy-handed and authoritarian, and their tech support is poor.....you will rarely if ever get an English speaking tech person and they are like robots and pretty useless.
You can export and import iCalendar links from one platform to the other. It’s very simple, but then there will be a slight delay so you could theoretically have duplicate bookings if someone books within a few minutes of each other. Rare, but not impossible. I prefer using a hospital and linking it through that. It’s seamless
Property Manager · Monument, CO · Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 41 votes
4y
Gosh, I don't really agree with the other comments on VRBO. I have found them to be clunkier and more difficult to deal with than Airbnb, but maybe that's just my anecdotal experience. More to your question: I don't spend an awful lot of time inside the STR admin portals. I sync them both with an inexpensive-but-awesome program called iGMS. Depending on where you host, you may be leaving a lot of money on the table by sticking with just one portal.
I sync them both with an inexpensive-but-awesome program called iGMS.
Why do you sync with a program when they do it themselves? Just curious....
Manual would be cumbersome, and syncing avoids double booking. I'm able to allow instant booking on both Airbnb and VRBO (and Hipcamp...I run glamping units). There are more portals, but I haven't included them. Other advantages include ability to see the entire calendar with all portals, send automated emails to all platform renters, have all my management from one portal, and some more. They charge something like $2/rental, and I think it's worth it.
When starting use both to maximize your rresults...as @John Underwood said, they have a 'sync' feature that prevents double bookings. Although I have had it fail a few times.
I agree with @Collin Hays said, VRBO is highly preferable. AIR is very heavy-handed and authoritarian, and their tech support is poor.....you will rarely if ever get an English speaking tech person and they are like robots and pretty useless.
I agree with these guys that Vrbo is much better than Airbnb and much easier to use.
Investor · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2021 · 73 posts · 53 votes
4y
I would HIGHLY recommend using all the possible platforms you can be on. Listing on Airbnb and syncing the calendars can be done, but my preference is to choose a powerful channel manager to do it all in 1. I use Guesty for this and have loved it. I can only look in 1 place for my listing. It's listed on Airbnb, VRBO, booking.com and a few others. I don't have to worry about double bookings, I can store all my automated messages for all the platforms in 1 place, I see all messages in 1 place, I can block my calendar 1 time if needed in 1 place, and I can automate the cleaning prompts for my cleaner at my determined day/time. It also includes all the info for my cleaner so she knows how many to setup for in the next guest check in.
Real Estate Agent · Miramar Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 285 posts · 245 votes
4y
@Erich Wolff I have two STRs and I sync both of them on IGMS. Both properties are also simultaneously listed on both Airbnb and VRBO. From IGMS you can control pricing, schedule availability, messaging, etc. all in one. IGMS now also connects to PriceLabs if you wanted to use that for either of your properties. I've had good experience so far and would recommend it to anyone wanting to keep things organized.
Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 9 votes
4y
Hello Erich,
I would have to agree with @Chris Jeub. I started my STR using Airbnb exclusively and its been smooth sailing. Never any issues with customers service, the app or any guests. My fav feature on Airbnb is the timed automated message function that you can set upon booking/checkout/or even during the stay...you choose when messages go out. Thus, its been a fairly hands off process. I've recently listed my unit on VRBO and I find the app to not be nearly as user friendly as Airbnb's app. Like others have mentioned, the apps themselves have a syncing function for booking purposes, however I find that it is not an immediate sync/or reliable which could allow for double booking. Thus I'm currently looking to use a channel manager such Guesty etc to eliminate the back and forth between apps etc
Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 44 votes
4y
Hi Erich -
We own and manage about 13 properties and have found the best method is to list on both AirBNB and VRBO. With only 1 or 2 properties you can simply sync them together. However, with more properties and as you get going you will want more automation, ability to do direct bookings, and dynamic pricing. For this you can choose one of the many channel managers on the market. You will manage all listings from the CM and eliminate having to use the platform interfaces. Good luck!
As you can see you’ll get a lot of different opinions on VRBO vs Airbnb. I personally much prefer Airbnb over VRBO – I’ve had several issues with VRBO not correctly updating my calendar and pricing. VRBO also accounts for only 1% or 2% of my bookings – apparently it’s not popular in my area.
Jonathan nailed it. I also use Guesty – I pay $18/mo for it and it syncs all my calendars and rates across my different OTAs. No double bookings. One of the big benefits is that you can set it up to add a % to your rates for OTAs with higher commissions. Ex: Airbnb charges hosts 3% while VRBO charges 8%. I have Guesty set up to add 5% on top of my normal rates for VRBO so the payout is about the same as Airbnb.
By the way @Jonathan Avellaneda what other platforms have you had success with besides Airbnb, VRBO and Booking.com?
Investor · Nortnern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 131 votes
4y
Here's a thing that matters: property type.
We have way better luck with Airbnb with our smaller properties. Shorter booking window. Fewer guests. Lower price point. Airbnb works better on these.
However, on our larger properties (5/5 and a 6/5) we find that VRBO generally brings a better experience for us. Price is higher. Booking window is longer-range (kinda hard to get 19 of your best friends to rent a place for the weekend for $900/night when it's Monday -- not so hard when it's a family of 4 booking a 2/2).
Relative to the two-platform question: there's no way I'd want all my booking-eggs in one basket. If you have issues with one, and all your bookings are on that one platform… no bueno. We use Airbnb, VRBO (which pushes to about a dozen more), plus our own website. All coordinated with OwnerRez (but there are many other good ones too).
Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2018 · 93 posts · 42 votes
4y
Sync between the two (Airbnb/VRBO) with the ical feeds is SUPER slow and sometimes doesn't work at all. You will get screwed with double bookings and kill your host rating if you can't get them to cancel. However, you can always have just 1 with instant booking turned on, then on the other platform require manual booking approval. Or as others have mentioned, pay for a 3rd party service IGMS, Hospitable, etc... they all do instant calendar syncs between platforms to prevent double bookings
As you can see you’ll get a lot of different opinions on VRBO vs Airbnb. I personally much prefer Airbnb over VRBO – I’ve had several issues with VRBO not correctly updating my calendar and pricing. VRBO also accounts for only 1% or 2% of my bookings – apparently it’s not popular in my area.
Jonathan nailed it. I also use Guesty – I pay $18/mo for it and it syncs all my calendars and rates across my different OTAs. No double bookings. One of the big benefits is that you can set it up to add a % to your rates for OTAs with higher commissions. Ex: Airbnb charges hosts 3% while VRBO charges 8%. I have Guesty set up to add 5% on top of my normal rates for VRBO so the payout is about the same as Airbnb.
By the way @Jonathan Avellaneda what other platforms have you had success with besides Airbnb, VRBO and Booking.com?
I have used peer space and furnished finder. I have a group of nurses in my rental right now that are filling in the space for the slow part of my rental. It's working out great!
I did a quick search and found some older discussions but nothing recent so I thought I'd ask here:
For those of you who list your STR simultaneously on both airbnb and VRBO, what are some methods to avoid problems such as double bookings? I know there are various programs/apps out there but I thought I'd ask for advice based on personal experience. Are there other problems/solutions to know about when double listing?
We self-operate a STR and so far have only listed it on VRBO. We did that initially to avoid the double-booking problem and to focus on ramping up reviews on just one platform. We've got great reviews on VRBO so I don't think we need to exclusively focus there and I'd like to be able to hopefully capture more potential renters by also listing on airbnb. I've seen the numbers and our market is split pretty evenly between the two platforms - it seems to make sense to market on both at this point unless there's a significant reason not to.
Sync between the two (Airbnb/VRBO) with the ical feeds is SUPER slow and sometimes doesn't work at all. You will get screwed with double bookings and kill your host rating if you can't get them to cancel.
Hmmmm, I have not experienced that at all. The sync is fairly rapid.
When I first started I had problems with a few double bookings but it was because one of the platforms was having problems with their side of it. Fixed it and absolutely zero issues.
I'd try the site's syncing before you go out and spend money on a separate platform, every few bucks will add up.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y
I question if two platforms are worth the effort. Are you having trouble getting bookings on VRBO? We used AIrBNB exclusively and it stayed pretty much completely full. Now you will have two platforms to understand and support which makes your job harder. Not the end of the world, but I would avoid unless you are having problems getting bookings.
Investor · La Palma, CA · Member since 2021 · 71 posts · 19 votes
4y
Hi all, I've been reading everyone's answers and see that no one here uses a third party that handles all the bookings for you. I'm in the closing stages of a multifamily and plan on using one of the units as a STR. I was planning on using a third party called, Evolve, to help me book my STR. They help with taking professional photos for you, book on top sites (AirBnB, VRBO, booking.com, google, and their own evolve.com), help get the highest rate for the stay, guest support, and offer liability coverage in case something happens. The reason I plan to use them is because I'm afraid I won't be booked enough or won't know what rate to charge and customer service (because I'm an out of state investor). I'm also afraid of getting poor ratings if I cannot give customers support on a timely basis, which will effect my bookings. Also, they are "risk-free guarantee" warranty, so that if I'm not happy with their service in the first 6 months, they will return all their services fees back to me.
I wanted to get everyone's opinion and advice about handling STR this way. I also see that AirBnB and VRBO charge a percenage... so should I use a third party for booking or just try to do it myself?
I’m in the same boat as Julie. How much time and effort does this it take to set up with Guesty versus having a management company like Evolve take care of it for you?
Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
4y
@Julie Chai & @Dan Francis, best wishes to you as you begin your adventure with your short term rental properties!
In 2021 I wrote an article that answers the question of how to manage your property and bookings that you might find helpful. The information in that article is still applicable today.