Is AI invading this forum?

Is AI invading this forum?

Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes

Is it just me or are we being invaded by AI users?  I suspect a bunch of the posts in the past couple weeks are coming from AI profiles.

As a follow up...if this is in fact happening...why?  What's the angle/end goal?

12Reply
1,598 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5mo

It is becoming more and more a waste of time to peruse the posts. A large percentage of Posters have fewer than a dozen or so posts, and many of those are same exact, or similar, topic posted to different subforums. They clearly make no attempt to search the site for recent comments on their base topic. Alternatively, they clearly have no clue of the most basic subjects, yet are "curious" (word of the month, apparently) to learn what issues actual investors/PM's have so they can provide an AI solution, presumably to sell at some point. In some cases it seems like they are just trying to get a "simple" cut and paste solution to deeply involved and detailed problems. 

I don't mind giving some details, but some of these posts are asking for full documents to "share". First of all, they don't even have a clue about their own local laws, and secondly, they don't seem to know how to perform basic searches and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Add to that incredibly basic questions tossed around with such confidence, actually  implying that they have a deep understanding in other aspects of the business...but actually have no idea what of what they do not know.

Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's because I'm fighting with AI at Dell Support to resolve a subscription issue. Too bad, as the saying goes, I've forgotten more than a lot of these posers will ever know. 

With no legit conversational posts under their belt, they just have zero credibility, and I am now limiting my responses accordingly.

See this reply in the discussion

98 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    i think that you are exactly right, there has been a bunch of posts in the last few weeks are from ai bots

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    I don’t necessary mind that people use AI for research, but when the information is a copy and paste directly from AI it’s annoying to me.  Can’t people have their own thoughts regarding the topic.  If you want to cite statistics provided it’s accurate it’s fine, but use your own words instead of plagiarizing the information.

    Just my two cents.

    • Theresa HarrisPro Member
      Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

      I don’t necessary mind that people use AI for research, but when the information is a copy and paste directly from AI it’s annoying to me.  Can’t people have their own thoughts regarding the topic.  If you want to cite statistics provided it’s accurate it’s fine, but use your own words instead of plagiarizing the information.

      Just my two cents.


       Also when it isn't fact checked, it becomes a huge problem.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    I agree. It is a bunch of garbage posts that aren't benefiting anyone. The profiles only have a few posts and seem new.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5mo

    Reminds me of the website “let me google that for you…”

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    It is becoming more and more a waste of time to peruse the posts. A large percentage of Posters have fewer than a dozen or so posts, and many of those are same exact, or similar, topic posted to different subforums. They clearly make no attempt to search the site for recent comments on their base topic. Alternatively, they clearly have no clue of the most basic subjects, yet are "curious" (word of the month, apparently) to learn what issues actual investors/PM's have so they can provide an AI solution, presumably to sell at some point. In some cases it seems like they are just trying to get a "simple" cut and paste solution to deeply involved and detailed problems. 

    I don't mind giving some details, but some of these posts are asking for full documents to "share". First of all, they don't even have a clue about their own local laws, and secondly, they don't seem to know how to perform basic searches and separate the wheat from the chaff.

    Add to that incredibly basic questions tossed around with such confidence, actually  implying that they have a deep understanding in other aspects of the business...but actually have no idea what of what they do not know.

    Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's because I'm fighting with AI at Dell Support to resolve a subscription issue. Too bad, as the saying goes, I've forgotten more than a lot of these posers will ever know. 

    With no legit conversational posts under their belt, they just have zero credibility, and I am now limiting my responses accordingly.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Tyler Divin:

    Is it just me or are we being invaded by AI users?  I suspect a bunch of the posts in the past couple weeks are coming from AI profiles.

    As a follow up...if this is in fact happening...why?  What's the angle/end goal?

    Yes, IDK the angles or goals, nor do i care. Its just a forum.
    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      Is it just me or are we being invaded by AI users?  I suspect a bunch of the posts in the past couple weeks are coming from AI profiles.

      As a follow up...if this is in fact happening...why?  What's the angle/end goal?

      Yes, IDK the angles or goals, nor do i care. Its just a forum. 

       Phone died, 24 yrs of historical data on this forum, think about it. TCG paid what.....$240m for controlling interest in BP.

      ....

    • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      Is it just me or are we being invaded by AI users?  I suspect a bunch of the posts in the past couple weeks are coming from AI profiles.

      As a follow up...if this is in fact happening...why?  What's the angle/end goal?

      Yes, IDK the angles or goals, nor do i care. Its just a forum. 

       Phone died, 24 yrs of historical data on this forum, think about it. TCG paid what.....$240m for controlling interest in BP.

      ....


       I missed this.  Who is TCG?

    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Nadean Willis:
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      Is it just me or are we being invaded by AI users?  I suspect a bunch of the posts in the past couple weeks are coming from AI profiles.

      As a follow up...if this is in fact happening...why?  What's the angle/end goal?

      Yes, IDK the angles or goals, nor do i care. Its just a forum. 

       Phone died, 24 yrs of historical data on this forum, think about it. TCG paid what.....$240m for controlling interest in BP.

      ....


       I missed this.  Who is TCG?


       The Chernin Group

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...

    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Brandon, Scott & few others " got theirs"

      Now lets look at the silver lining, we still have Jay, the mods (u kno J.D., Russell, Chis etc. not the w2 corp. admins) a few grass roots posters and.......you. FWIW  I learn things from your answers. 

      That & $5 gets you a cup of coffee lol.

    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Brandon, Scott & few others " got theirs"

      Now lets look at the silver lining, we still have Jay, the mods (u kno J.D., Russell, Chis etc. not the w2 corp. admins) a few grass roots posters and.......you. FWIW  I learn things from your answers. 

      That & $5 gets you a cup of coffee lol.


      Yeah, fortunately I don't drink coffee... But one thing is for sure, in this business you NEVER stop learning! I appreciate your appreciation...that's why I laugh so hard at some of the posers...
    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Brandon, Scott & few others " got theirs"

      Now lets look at the silver lining, we still have Jay, the mods (u kno J.D., Russell, Chis etc. not the w2 corp. admins) a few grass roots posters and.......you. FWIW  I learn things from your answers. 

      That & $5 gets you a cup of coffee lol.


       Thanks - AI is the scourge of the forums and I personally hate it. But I hate the robots altogether. We stomp it as we see it but honestly it's probably going to take AI to control AI because it's just getting better more sophisticated every day. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Alan F.:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Brandon, Scott & few others " got theirs"

      Now lets look at the silver lining, we still have Jay, the mods (u kno J.D., Russell, Chis etc. not the w2 corp. admins) a few grass roots posters and.......you. FWIW  I learn things from your answers. 

      That & $5 gets you a cup of coffee lol.


       Thanks - AI is the scourge of the forums and I personally hate it. But I hate the robots altogether. We stomp it as we see it but honestly it's probably going to take AI to control AI because it's just getting better more sophisticated every day. 


       You & the other mods deserve more thanks, its the very definition of no good deed goes unpunished.

      There's still some genuine folks here, Theresa Harris, Nicholas L, Becca F, Michael Plaks and many others. Maybe its a good lesson on DD for noobs to sort things out? IDK

    • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Make no mistake, if I can ever sell my company for $240M, I absolutely will and will be on whatever beach I feel like.  You probably would too so no reason to throw stones.

    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Nadean Willis:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      And Josh is living the life of Riley over on Maui...


       Make no mistake, if I can ever sell my company for $240M, I absolutely will and will be on whatever beach I feel like.  You probably would too so no reason to throw stones.

      I guess you didn't notice my location on my profile or the image used for my avatar.
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5mo
    As a moderator, we are having discussions right now on this very topic. Speaking as an investor and not a moderator, I agree that there are a lot of useless posts that are AI-driven that get zero engagement.
    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      As a moderator, we are having discussions right now on this very topic. Speaking as an investor and not a moderator, I agree that there are a lot of useless posts that are AI-driven that get zero engagement.
      Well, that's good to hear, but given the nearly complete lack of response from mods/mgmt on several posts I made to the Q's forum over the past couple months, I'm not holding my breath. Certainly you, and a very few others, have been a fine contributor that has seen the same changes in forum traffic that I have. I took a couple years off when they inadvertently and without warning changed user names to full first and last names. Now I am retired so it would not matter, but at the time I felt obligated first to protecting my employer. I can't stand the chaos of the social media sites, and have never used them personally or in business except for two where I seek out my news preferences. And I don't spend much time on them, either.

      The type of format of this forum is much preferred, when utilized appropriately, and I still follow several similarly format sites. It seems the bots/posers never bother to vote, and always want to be your "colleague" to get more info for whatever tool they are "building". 

      I understand that the idea is for the site to generate some money. I've hears about "chatrooms" where AI bots chat with other AI bots. Maybe that is the fate of BP.
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    It's so informative when AI states the obvious....

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Mike Grudzien:

      It's so informative when AI states the obvious....


       Well said.

  • Investor · Syracuse NY · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5mo

    So I have a little insight to why you're seeing the "ai" posts and profiles. I used a few different ai to build an app recently and it works extremely well in some areas, coding, website building, structure and layout for filesystem etc. But not so great at marketing or writing copy for emails or site info unless you spend a good amount of time working with whatever program and model you're using. The reason you are seeing the same ai posts is thats what the basic ai tells someone to do- "Post this generic topic and say these things to get people to engage with you and drive them to your site, product or whatever". and yes I get the irony of a brand new account saying this lol  

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5mo

    The best way to also resolve this is if you see a post that is AI, click on the three little dots on the post and report it that will notify us so we can easily remove it.

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Rental Property Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 127 posts · 123 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      The best way to also resolve this is if you see a post that is AI, click on the three little dots on the post and report it that will notify us so we can easily remove it.

       Thank you, @Chris Seveney, because that is helpful to know. All these posters acting like teachers have caused me to tune out nearly all messages.

    • Greg KaiserPro Member
      Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 12 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:

      The best way to also resolve this is if you see a post that is AI, click on the three little dots on the post and report it that will notify us so we can easily remove it.


       Can we start with auto-deleting any post with the word "curious?"

    • Seth McGatheyBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee WI · Member since 2024 · 318 posts · 252 votes
      5mo

      @Greg Kaiser or with more than 1 dash. 

      Seth McGathey - Shorewest Realtor4.913 Reviews
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    OP. PE companies have an exit strategy, exit timeframe, exit return rate.  Look at TCG prior deals.   

    How do you achieve those targets?  Either thru leverage, distribution, marketing, cost control, synergy 1+1=3.  Then timing of the stock market for exit strategy.

    Since this is an Internet forum, like any website, “activity” drives its value.  

    AI is good for the model from an activity standpoint.

     There’s what 390mm US alone people.  1.2mm BP plus walk thrus.  Lot of the activity is new investors.  New investor turnover is natural.  The difference between a seasoned investor response and AI is very little.  Which one helps the new investor see their dream?  Churn is great for a Website.  

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Henry Clark:

      OP. PE companies have an exit strategy, exit timeframe, exit return rate.  Look at TCG prior deals.   

      How do you achieve those targets?  Either thru leverage, distribution, marketing, cost control, synergy 1+1=3.  Then timing of the stock market for exit strategy.

      Since this is an Internet forum, like any website, “activity” drives its value.  

      AI is good for the model from an activity standpoint.

       There’s what 390mm US alone people.  1.2mm BP plus walk thrus.  Lot of the activity is new investors.  New investor turnover is natural.  The difference between a seasoned investor response and AI is very little.  Which one helps the new investor see their dream?  Churn is great for a Website.  


      I am not experienced in how Internet forums drive revenue, but is that activity even valuable if it’s bot driven to the point of driving away actual people? Isn’t the whole idea of providing the forum for “free” to convert visitors into paying customers of the forum, or at least to click on some ads?

    • Henry ClarkPro Member
      Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:
      Quote from @Henry Clark:

      OP. PE companies have an exit strategy, exit timeframe, exit return rate.  Look at TCG prior deals.   

      How do you achieve those targets?  Either thru leverage, distribution, marketing, cost control, synergy 1+1=3.  Then timing of the stock market for exit strategy.

      Since this is an Internet forum, like any website, “activity” drives its value.  

      AI is good for the model from an activity standpoint.

       There’s what 390mm US alone people.  1.2mm BP plus walk thrus.  Lot of the activity is new investors.  New investor turnover is natural.  The difference between a seasoned investor response and AI is very little.  Which one helps the new investor see their dream?  Churn is great for a Website.  


      I am not experienced in how Internet forums drive revenue, but is that activity even valuable if it’s bot driven to the point of driving away actual people? Isn’t the whole idea of providing the forum for “free” to convert visitors into paying customers of the forum, or at least to click on some ads?

      The forum to me is the Cheap turkey price at Thanksgiving to pull you in.  It’s not the money maker.  It’s the hamburger in 60 second order.   Then monetize the other offerings.  There is enough Churn of new users out of 3xx million people.  A PE exit window is 3 to 5 years.   Plenty of Churn left to that point.  
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    The AI posts all have the same generic and formulaic posts. Usually variations of:

    -“The best hosts aren’t succeeding because of xxxxxx. They’re succeeding because of yyyyy”

    -“So, fellow investors, how are you approaching blahblahblah”

    -Excessive use of bullet points. People don’t talk in bullet points.

    We are seeing dead internet theory play out IRL. Soon most Internet forums will be bots and troll farms arguing with each other, with no real people even bothering to observe them. Weird times 

    • Henry ClarkPro Member
      Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      The AI posts all have the same generic and formulaic posts. Usually variations of:

      -“The best hosts aren’t succeeding because of xxxxxx. They’re succeeding because of yyyyy”

      -“So, fellow investors, how are you approaching blahblahblah”

      -Excessive use of bullet points. People don’t talk in bullet points.

      We are seeing dead internet theory play out IRL. Soon most Internet forums will be bots and troll farms arguing with each other, with no real people even bothering to observe them. Weird times 


      A self storage forum I’m on.  The lead person continuously throws out those types of posts to keep the site churning.  It’s about activity on your website.   Not quality.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    The thing is not that AI is used to write posts; it's that it is hard to research forums! You get a much more comprehensive response from AI. Everyone is worried about AI generated posts, I have a pretty grim outlook on people READING posts..

    A third of the advice you get on BP is garbage, a third is useless, and once in a while you find a nugget. Even a poorly written prompt will get you a better answer. And you don't have to wait 3 days!

    I would love to see a 3 year traffic chart for the forums, I'm pretty sure it looks like @Jay Hinrichs on his final approach after too much coffee ;-)

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      The thing is not that AI is used to write posts; it's that it is hard to research forums! You get a much more comprehensive response from AI. Everyone is worried about AI generated posts, I have a pretty grim outlook on people READING posts..

      A third of the advice you get on BP is garbage, a third is useless, and once in a while you find a nugget. Even a poorly written prompt will get you a better answer. And you don't have to wait 3 days!

      I would love to see a 3 year traffic chart for the forums, I'm pretty sure it looks like @Jay Hinrichs on his final approach after too much coffee ;-)


      So Marcus how does this AI make posts on BP..  does one just ask AI a question then copy it and paste it on a thread ??  how does it get from ones computer to a thread ?  on final just try to keep from seeing 3 red lights.. 
    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
      Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

      The thing is not that AI is used to write posts; it's that it is hard to research forums! You get a much more comprehensive response from AI. Everyone is worried about AI generated posts, I have a pretty grim outlook on people READING posts..

      A third of the advice you get on BP is garbage, a third is useless, and once in a while you find a nugget. Even a poorly written prompt will get you a better answer. And you don't have to wait 3 days!

      I would love to see a 3 year traffic chart for the forums, I'm pretty sure it looks like @Jay Hinrichs on his final approach after too much coffee ;-)


      So Marcus how does this AI make posts on BP..  does one just ask AI a question then copy it and paste it on a thread ??  how does it get from ones computer to a thread ?  on final just try to keep from seeing 3 red lights.. 

      Not sure if this is a serious question or not Jay, but I'm gonna answer anyways because I think awareness of it is very important..... if the BP overlord's are truly paying attention. 

      Recent ai advances, several actually, haven't just made this possible but made it readily accessible at mass-market for half-azz savy persons with ai to get it setup and running where YES, ai will 100% formulate and create a positing 100% human hands off. 

      I'm gonna be careful how much I share on details of this because I do NOT want to "feed the beast". 

      There is 3 or 4 main ways a person can readily do this. Each rather similar but yet each rather different. 

      One can create a "Beast" for either post creation, or response. And no, BP has nothing in place currently that can stop/defeat this. yes, they can navigate captcha. yes, they can operate web browsers just like we do. 

      Short-short version is it get's built to flag a post, or maybe a google trend, or news threads, some something that indicates "hey, this is the kind of wave we want to ride". 

      Next an ai generates a post/response, per whatever formulation to do so one gives it. 

      Now if your really ai savy, you got a check-before-posting system to "humanize" it. And I'm telling ya, done right it's scary good. 

      Than it can navigate just as any human does, heck it can even log-in to check on things. Post, reply. Monitor, respond, conversate, the whole 9. 

      And often the human behind it all just has some kind of reporting spreadsheet of types that the ai updates with what it's done, KPI's of engagement, responses etc.. 

      And heres the kicker. Again, the really savy ai folks, they got ai utilizing the date on backside to constantly refine this entire system to make it better and better, more hidden, harder to discern between human and ai, in live-time. 

      All of this I detailed here, the freakiest part, it can all be setup at a very high level of performance for less than $1k to start and under $2k per month. That is the price for HIGH level, "OMG" level performance. 

      The average schmoe, it's totally possible to get going for $100-$200 and scale the monthly budget as it runs. 

      All of this here I share, 1st hand knowledge. Yes, I have seen this. Yes, I have "touched" these things. The power potential of ai is truly terrifying when get deeper into this kind of stuff, cloning and self operational and self refining aspects. 

      Because any sane human right away realizes, holly-cow, what-if...... 

      Yeah, those of malicious and nefarious motives, they basically are now equipped with nuclear weaponry. 

      And all thats left is time..... The time as various persons realize it, tinker with and explore it, and adopt it. 

      This is why the vast majority in-the-know of ai are sounding all alarms on it all, not to freak people out but to drive awareness of the risks and the monumental need of all to GET ACTIVE in formulating safety and preventative measures. 

      This is NOT a wait-n-see kind of thing. This is a get on it NOW-now kind of thing. 

      If BP want's to contact me for confirmation and details I am happy to share but yes I can confirm you ARE 1,000% vulnerable. And that was before recent tools making it even easier. 

      If I felt so inclined, I could literally create my own Jay before EOD. I could do it as I have lunch, that's how much effort it would take, next to 0. On par with booking a flight...... No, not that hard actually, booking a movie ticket, yeah that's more accurate. 

      So if nothing is done, if gonna try to manually act reactively, buckle up and get readdy for BP to become maybe 80% ai gen and response. 

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    @Tyler Divin

    I sure hope not, too much info is needed at crucial times.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5mo

    @Jon Martin

    yep.  and at least for now some of the vocab is a giveaway too.  a lot "stacking" and "pressure testing" and "baking in."

    i have never "pressure tested" a house.  maybe i should be.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    Im not sure if they are bots (but what do I know) but it seems like they are foreign VA's trying to drum up business by sounding knowledgeable about topics but just using AI to make garbage posts.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5mo

    I don't see as much AI generated posting as I do see legitimate (human) posters that use AI to develop their answers and then submit them as their own thoughts. We have quite a few people doing this

    It is obvious and I personally find it annoying...it's not that the information provided does not have some value, some of it does.....it's that I want to interact with real people and their experiences. For example, if I ask about foundation repair, I'd rather have someone who has actually repaired a foundation....not get some advice from someone using AI that may or may not be accurate.

    I'm not sure why some people use AI to make a post...are they just insecure? Or maybe not very good at writing?

    At any rate, I think we all agree that it is a scourge to this and other good forums. (I do not see this nearly as much on other forums that I frequent....)

    • Seth McGatheyBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee WI · Member since 2024 · 318 posts · 252 votes
      5mo

      @Bruce Woodruff I think some people just don't understand the true value of AI. Many think "hey AI can write this for me and that will be quicker" but what they are really saying is "I will offload thinking and let AI do that for me". The smart way to use AI is to write a quick and dirty response and then ask AI to clean it up. Make AI your editor not your writer. 

      Seth McGathey - Shorewest Realtor4.913 Reviews
  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    This reminds me of back in the day when people first realized they could comment on blog posts for free SEO backlinks, and every comment section was just a rash of the same style comment that worked in a link back to the SEO target site.

    Now it's the same thing with AI generated fake question, fake discussion starters.

    I'm not sure what the endgame here is. Maybe we need AI forum moderators that are capable of detecting and flagging posts most likely written by AI and holding them for approval.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      5mo

      @Ryan Moyer that is a good question. I don't understand what they are trying to get out of it. Posting one post on here is not going to get you much notoriety, even if it went viral. It is very short-lived, and the truth is, it's not about what you post but more about how you respond to people. 

      7e investments53 Reviews
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    The death of Internet forums is imminent.

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      The death of Internet forums is imminent.


       A lot of forums have closed in the last few years, some very prominent in their given topic. It's mostly Reddit and Discord as the hosts nowadays. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    I agree with @Andrew Steffens on the real people, AI posts. It is getting tiresome.

    I miss the days of folks coming in looking to learn how to judge the viability of a STR, what are the best towels, etc etc.

    Heck, I am starting to miss arbitrage posts!

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I agree with @Andrew Steffens on the real people, AI posts. It is getting tiresome.

      I miss the days of folks coming in looking to learn how to judge the viability of a STR, what are the best towels, etc etc.

      Heck, I am starting to miss arbitrage posts!


       I think you just gave them a list of things to ask AI for our next posts!

    • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I agree with @Andrew Steffens on the real people, AI posts. It is getting tiresome.

      I miss the days of folks coming in looking to learn how to judge the viability of a STR, what are the best towels, etc etc.

      Heck, I am starting to miss arbitrage posts!


       What have been your biggest challenges with arbitrage? 

      Is it

      The long days? :bed: :bed:

      The landlord objections? :hand: :hand:

      The lease structure? :pen: :pen:

      I've been having good luck with scammyurlforgulliblepeople.xyz run through gitphase appropriator.

      What's been working for you?

      :flex: :flex:

      Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
    • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Ryan Moyer:
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I agree with @Andrew Steffens on the real people, AI posts. It is getting tiresome.

      I miss the days of folks coming in looking to learn how to judge the viability of a STR, what are the best towels, etc etc.

      Heck, I am starting to miss arbitrage posts!


       What have been your biggest challenges with arbitrage? 

      Is it

      The long days? :bed: :bed:

      The landlord objections? :hand: :hand:

      The lease structure? :pen: :pen:

      I've been having good luck with scammyurlforgulliblepeople.xyz run through gitphase appropriator.

      What's been working for you?

      :flex: :flex:


       You nailed it.  Are you sure you're not AI? Haha!

  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes
    5mo

    I don't mind people using AI to formulate a well written response quickly about a topic they have knowledge and experience of.  It's using it to create drivel.  

    For example, I use ChatGPT to write blog posts.  I can punch out a well written post using ChatGPT in 15-20 minutes that would otherwise take me several hours to write but it's based on my idea, opinions, and things we've actually done.  Similarity I could tell ChatGPT to write 100 blog posts for a VRM company blog and it would do it but they would be junk or basically SPAM.  I could then hook it up to my Wordpress website and tell it to post three of them per week but IMO all that would do is create a bunch of junk on my blog.

    I've seen both of those methods used on here and it's the latter that is annoying. Lately what I'm seeing is AI bot fake profiles generating new posts pontificating on things in a weird way like we're in a STR philosophy forum ending them with questions to stimulate engagement and then responding to the replies with an aloof attitude like a it's a tenured philosophy professor at Harvard or something.

    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      I don't mind people using AI to formulate a well written response quickly about a topic they have knowledge and experience of.  It's using it to create drivel.  

      For example, I use ChatGPT to write blog posts.  I can punch out a well written post using ChatGPT in 15-20 minutes that would otherwise take me several hours to write but it's based on my idea, opinions, and things we've actually done.  Similarity I could tell ChatGPT to write 100 blog posts for a VRM company blog and it would do it but they would be junk or basically SPAM.  I could then hook it up to my Wordpress website and tell it to post three of them per week but IMO all that would do is create a bunch of junk on my blog.

      I've seen both of those methods used on here and it's the latter that is annoying. Lately what I'm seeing is AI bot fake profiles generating new posts pontificating on things in a weird way like we're in a STR philosophy forum ending them with questions to stimulate engagement and then responding to the replies with an aloof attitude like a it's a tenured philosophy professor at Harvard or something.


      I was wondering if BP paid some people to post that stuff to stimulate discussions, like the forum is dying out or something.  I don't even bother replying to that crap anymore, they are becoming very transparent now. 
    • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 134 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:
      Quote from @Tyler Divin:

      I don't mind people using AI to formulate a well written response quickly about a topic they have knowledge and experience of.  It's using it to create drivel.  

      For example, I use ChatGPT to write blog posts.  I can punch out a well written post using ChatGPT in 15-20 minutes that would otherwise take me several hours to write but it's based on my idea, opinions, and things we've actually done.  Similarity I could tell ChatGPT to write 100 blog posts for a VRM company blog and it would do it but they would be junk or basically SPAM.  I could then hook it up to my Wordpress website and tell it to post three of them per week but IMO all that would do is create a bunch of junk on my blog.

      I've seen both of those methods used on here and it's the latter that is annoying. Lately what I'm seeing is AI bot fake profiles generating new posts pontificating on things in a weird way like we're in a STR philosophy forum ending them with questions to stimulate engagement and then responding to the replies with an aloof attitude like a it's a tenured philosophy professor at Harvard or something.


      I was wondering if BP paid some people to post that stuff to stimulate discussions, like the forum is dying out or something.  I don't even bother replying to that crap anymore, they are becoming very transparent now. 

      It is transparent now, I think I can tell but I expect it will get so good that we won't be able to tell soon.

  • Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 12 votes
    5mo

    I don't post a lot, I mainly read to learn. Just saying, so no one thinks I'm a bot, lol.

  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5mo

    That's kind of funny, can't keep those bots out of anything these days! lol

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    Well, you'll never find me on those sites...I can't stand the near total random chaos of them. Hard Pass.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.