Review doesn’t matter as much as you think

Review doesn’t matter as much as you think

Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes

Unpopular opinion, but this is something that has been confirmed by Airbnb’s internal team.

I’ve been saying this for years: reviews are not nearly as important as many hosts believe.

Your availability, pricing, amenities, and booking performance have a much larger impact on your ranking than most people realize. Put simply, Airbnb prioritizes objective factors over subjective ones. Reviews are subjective. Calendar availability, occupancy, pricing competitiveness, and whether you offer a hot tub or not are objective facts.

A few additional insights:

Airbnb operates with various ranking thresholds that can significantly boost visibility when certain conditions are met. Factors such as minimum night settings, calendar availability, and promotional discounts can all influence how often your listing is shown.

For example, promotional discounts generally need to be at least 10% before Airbnb starts highlighting them. In many cases, anything below that threshold provides little to no visibility benefit.

Another big one that hosts often overlook: if you’re advertising on other platforms such as VRBO or accepting direct bookings, and those reservations frequently block your Airbnb calendar, Airbnb punishes your visibility significantly often way more than having a bad review.

Take the information however you’d like. Good luck! 😄

2Reply
379 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
4mo
Quote from @John Underwood:

A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

Yes. That will also show up in performance. When potential guest read a few bad reviews they are less likely to book you vs others impacting performance which then impacts ranking. 
See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo

    Thanks for the update.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4mo

    A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

      I mean yeah.. Airbnb will delist the property if you get too many bad reviews haha.. if you increase your price 3 times, it will sink you too. 

       But I am pretty sure people at this forum are not talking about that level of service haha (all superhost minimum?)

    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

      Yes. That will also show up in performance. When potential guest read a few bad reviews they are less likely to book you vs others impacting performance which then impacts ranking. 
    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

      Yes. That will also show up in performance. When potential guest read a few bad reviews they are less likely to book you vs others impacting performance which then impacts ranking. 

       Many Guests will soon no longer read reviews anymore once Airbnb updates it's review summary system (scheduled this year) Airbnb is full on AI summary system

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

      I mean yeah.. Airbnb will delist the property if you get too many bad reviews haha.. if you increase your price 3 times, it will sink you too. 

       But I am pretty sure people at this forum are not talking about that level of service haha (all superhost minimum?)


       Vrbo probably too.

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      A few bad reviews won't matter much, but a bunch of bad reviews could sink you.

      I mean yeah.. Airbnb will delist the property if you get too many bad reviews haha.. if you increase your price 3 times, it will sink you too. 

       But I am pretty sure people at this forum are not talking about that level of service haha (all superhost minimum?)


       Vrbo probably too.


       Yeap in the end they are all competitors and they will try everything to make people host on their platform. The old strategy of listing on 8 different sites is gone. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4mo

    You can’t have a laundry list of poor reviews and expect to be successful. But I do agree that a poor review now and then is likely inconsequential.

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:

      You can’t have a laundry list of poor reviews and expect to be successful. But I do agree that a poor review now and then is likely inconsequential.


       Yes and it was always like this. Airbnb just never announced which affect the most toward Airbnb’s ranking algorithm but they confirmed the order is availability > pricing > quality.

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
       Yes and it was always like this. Airbnb just never announced which affect the most toward Airbnb’s ranking algorithm but they confirmed the order is availability > pricing > quality.



      From what I understand it boils down to conversion over everything, so that dflow makes sense. It's interesting, because when I do a flexible weekend search in Incognito Mode for the next year in my market my property doesn't pop up unless you really zoom in. Yet when I specify a weekend that is empty I'm the first to show up. 

      It's a well rated property with a mid-to-high ADR and all the weekends through July are already booked. So maybe they are trying to push lesser properties on the flexible search because they know mine will eventually book, resulting in more overall bookings for AirBNB, but for a specific date they push mine to the top because they know it will deliver to someone with a definite plan to visit? I don't know. I've noticed the same thing with my neighbor's property in another market. 

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
       Yes and it was always like this. Airbnb just never announced which affect the most toward Airbnb’s ranking algorithm but they confirmed the order is availability > pricing > quality.



      From what I understand it boils down to conversion over everything, so that dflow makes sense. It's interesting, because when I do a flexible weekend search in Incognito Mode for the next year in my market my property doesn't pop up unless you really zoom in. Yet when I specify a weekend that is empty I'm the first to show up. 

      It's a well rated property with a mid-to-high ADR and all the weekends through July are already booked. So maybe they are trying to push lesser properties on the flexible search because they know mine will eventually book, resulting in more overall bookings for AirBNB, but for a specific date they push mine to the top because they know it will deliver to someone with a definite plan to visit? I don't know. I've noticed the same thing with my neighbor's property in another market. 


      Based on what you said, those property show up in general search probably have a higher ranking so they are already booked for those specific weekends you are searching? Hard to tell without knowing everything but you don't need to be the best Airbnb in the market to make money. Usually returns are pretty bad for being top ranking since it means the listing is underpriced or overamenitized. Being in the top 20% is the sweet spot. 

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo

      No- these are lesser rated properties. My theory is that they are trying to fill those first for the reasons I laid out. 

      My place is not over-amenitized, it's in a college town/mid sized city market. It's a tallest midget contest to be in the top 5%

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      No- these are lesser rated properties. My theory is that they are trying to fill those first for the reasons I laid out. 

      My place is not over-amenitized, it's in a college town/mid sized city market. It's a tallest midget contest to be in the top 5%


       I feel like something is missing. There is no reason for Airbnb to put lower ranking properties over higher ranking properties. 

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
      Quote from @Jon Martin:

      No- these are lesser rated properties. My theory is that they are trying to fill those first for the reasons I laid out. 

      My place is not over-amenitized, it's in a college town/mid sized city market. It's a tallest midget contest to be in the top 5%


       I feel like something is missing. There is no reason for Airbnb to put lower ranking properties over higher ranking properties. 


      I don’t get it either. Like I said, for specific dates I’m at the top and it geo locates properly.  

      I have been getting more VRBO bookings lately, so that’s the only thing that I can think of being punished for. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4mo

    This is great.  I get so many calls from clients almost in tears because they had a bad or "bad" review ("bad" meaning something like a 3 star".

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      This is great.  I get so many calls from clients almost in tears because they had a bad or "bad" review ("bad" meaning something like a 3 star".

      Yeah it sucks because we are trained to chase the perfect test scores, instead of chasing what really matters. Many fast food restaurants have 2 or 3 stars and they often make the most money in the entire company haha..
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo

    Me: researching airbnb seo 

    Airbnb article: “have you considered boosting your seo by dropping your price?”


    😡😡😡

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Me: researching airbnb seo 

      Airbnb article: “have you considered boosting your seo by dropping your price?”


      😡😡😡


       I mean the Airbnb let you know which area to improve or send you occasional tips. It is not the best for sure but it really is kinda straightforward. Larger hosts just have more access to the internal team as we get a direct contact from the Airbnb but their answers aren’t too far away from what you can find on the app. 1. open your listing availability 2. Drop your price

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Me: researching airbnb seo 

      Airbnb article: “have you considered boosting your seo by dropping your price?”


      😡😡😡


      Actually not wrong. . . You are increasing SEO for the platform 😂 

    • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Me: researching airbnb seo 

      Airbnb article: “have you considered boosting your seo by dropping your price?”


      😡😡😡


       I mean the Airbnb let you know which area to improve or send you occasional tips. It is not the best for sure but it really is kinda straightforward. Larger hosts just have more access to the internal team as we get a direct contact from the Airbnb but their answers aren’t too far away from what you can find on the app. 1. open your listing availability 2. Drop your price


       Airbnb (and blog articles) saying to drop the price for SEO was always annoying to me. Like no duh my listing will get booked if I drop it to motel 6 in the hood prices. That's not SEO. Nor is it profitable.

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Allan Smith:
      Airbnb (and blog articles) saying to drop the price for SEO was always annoying to me. Like no duh my listing will get booked if I drop it to motel 6 in the hood prices. That's not SEO. Nor is it profitable.

       Like I said above, it's to improve SEO for them, not for you lol

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Allan Smith:
      Quote from @Laura Winters:
      Quote from @Allan Smith:

      Me: researching airbnb seo 

      Airbnb article: “have you considered boosting your seo by dropping your price?”


      😡😡😡


       I mean the Airbnb let you know which area to improve or send you occasional tips. It is not the best for sure but it really is kinda straightforward. Larger hosts just have more access to the internal team as we get a direct contact from the Airbnb but their answers aren’t too far away from what you can find on the app. 1. open your listing availability 2. Drop your price


       Airbnb (and blog articles) saying to drop the price for SEO was always annoying to me. Like no duh my listing will get booked if I drop it to motel 6 in the hood prices. That's not SEO. Nor is it profitable.


       Haha.. Well if that is the price to make your property getting booked. Market economy… 🤷‍♂️

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4mo

    I assume for reviews, most people are like me, you look at the aggregate, and the most recent handful of reviews to make sure that things happen recently become worse, but you’re not looking at any given review in isolation. 

    Also, more reviews, even with a slightly lower score is better in my mind, think back to statistics class and standard deviation.

    Ultimately, it’s all relative, if the average property in a market gets 4.85 and you’re at or above the average it’s all good.

    • Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 87 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Max Na:

      I assume for reviews, most people are like me, you look at the aggregate, and the most recent handful of reviews to make sure that things happen recently become worse, but you’re not looking at any given review in isolation. 

      Also, more reviews, even with a slightly lower score is better in my mind, think back to statistics class and standard deviation.

      Ultimately, it’s all relative, if the average property in a market gets 4.85 and you’re at or above the average it’s all good.


       Yeah I mean people love complaining. It is either get the top listing badge so you get the actual boost or just maintain the guest favorite or super host level. That is good enough. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.