Best door lock for vacation rental

9 Replies

Can anyone recommend a good front door lock for my upcoming furnished rental? This property is in another state and I want to be able to control access remotely.

Thanks

I use the eRentalLock. Just add a .com to that to check out their web site.
They come in a couple of styles (brass, nickel, bronze) and configurations (deadbolt, handle, etc.). They're a standard Schlage electronic lock with a chip built in that allows for remote configuration. Plug in the time and date for check-in and check-out and the site spits out a code that will only work during those times. Hint: Add an extra hour on each side, so as not to lock folks out for being a few minutes early or late.

I use these in my vacation rental and long term rental units. For the LTR, I can let people schedule showings on their own without me having to be on site all the time.

I don't have a recommendation for a lock, but I really like the Zmodo cameras.  They are motion activated and transmit an alert to your phone.  You'll need an active wifi connection and a 110 volt a.c. power supply.  Last week I caught someone that had broken into a vacant furnished house and they were trying to put in a device to steal the wifi.  The police arrested them. You can also record what the camera sees.  You can also speak on your phone and there is a speaker on the camera.  My wife said "Don't steal that tv.  I can see you.  The police are here".  That burglar got up off the floor and sat on a couch, 2 seconds later the police were shining flashlights inside.

Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu :

My wife said "Don't steal that tv.  I can see you.  The police are here".  That burglar got up off the floor and sat on a couch, 2 seconds later the police were shining flashlights inside.

That is freaking golden! I love it!

I would look into locks incorporated into home control systems, so your thermostats, locks, lights, and security are linked. 

Originally posted by @Blair Russell :

I would look into locks incorporated into home control systems, so your thermostats, locks, lights, and security are linked. 

Thanks, Blair. I plan to at least do the front door lock and thermostat, but hadn't considered lights and/or security. Do you have any experience with specific manufacturers?

I use Kwikset for my Locks, Radio Thermostat Company of America for my Thermos, and any Alarm.com supplier will give you a lot of options. I even get fire alarm alerts to my cellphone. 

Wow Blair these are very helpful recommendations. Thanks.

I believe it is illegal to have cameras inside a rental property. you can have them outside and should disclose that you have cameras.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here