Shower doors or shower curtain

11 Replies

Hello BP Community,

We recently bought our 3rd vacation rental and have been doing minor renovations.    In the bathroom there is a new deep tub but no shower doors or a curtain.  We got a quote for installing frame-less shower doors for $850.00 which seems like a allot of money. We set a budget for the reno and furnishing of $5500 and we are already at $3400 and still need to buy furniture including a big screen TV.

I want to ask others do you feel installing shower doors is worth the investment or can we install a curved shower bar with a higher end curtain for combined probably $150.

I would go with a shower curtain. Easier to maintain, can change out the liner, clean the curtain or update it when needed and it will add a little color or dimension

@Joe Garvin   I'm with @Lisa Graesser for all the reasons she said.  A good curtain can add a nice design touch and it can be washed to keep it fresh.  And a good liner isn't very expensive.  They can be changed out when they show wear and tear.  You can buy shower curtain liners for a lifetime for less than $850 ;)

PS....we got a great shower curtain rod on amazon that also doubles as a towel holder.  (It's not curved but we wanted the towel holder function more than anything).  Installation was easy enough and proving to be very durable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAERN7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another consideration - You can always start with a curtain, then install a shower door down the road if you receive negative feedback from guests.

I like to think of decisions as a 'one-way door' or 'two-way door' - A 'two-way door' is a decision I can reverse for low to no cost.  

Generally speaking, I am in favor of two-way door decisions and have learned to think very carefully about one-way doors.

I vote shower curtain as well. Also, I'm not sure if there is a wall at the other end of the tub; if there is you can use a spring rod from target or walmart, and adjust it to meet the height and length you need for the shower curtain.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Mark S. :

@Joe Garvin  I'm with @Lisa Graesser for all the reasons she said.  A good curtain can add a nice design touch and it can be washed to keep it fresh.  And a good liner isn't very expensive.  They can be changed out when they show wear and tear.  You can buy shower curtain liners for a lifetime for less than $850 ;)

PS....we got a great shower curtain rod on amazon that also doubles as a towel holder.  (It's not curved but we wanted the towel holder function more than anything).  Installation was easy enough and proving to be very durable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAERN7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks Mark- originally we liked the curved bar but this one you recommended is certainly unique and we like it.  Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.  We made our decision and will purchase a nice shower curtain.

Many thanks to everyone.

Congratulations on your third STR! I also have three, and I manage one, and have a traditional rental too.

My advice (and it looks like others have said the same and you've decided to go that route), put up the curtain now for the sake of less time and money. I'll add that I put the curved shower rods in my units to give people more room, which you can't really do with a door.

Further, this kind of advice is good for all decisions like this going forward. Don't overthink it. You've got time on your side. STR can be a very lucrative business. So, do what you need to do now to get your properties looking good and functional, and then put them market. Later, when it's making a profit, come back during slow seasons and look at your list of potential upgrades. See what options make sense and decide then if you want or need to spend the time and money on them.

Originally posted by @Garry C. :

Further, this kind of advice is good for all decisions like this going forward. Don't overthink it. You've got time on your side. STR can be a very lucrative business. So, do what you need to do now to get your properties looking good and functional, and then put them market. Later, when it's making a profit, come back during slow seasons and look at your list of potential upgrades. See what options make sense and decide then if you want or need to spend the time and money on them.

Some good advice here.  You often increase your revenue by the things you do in the OFF season versus in season.