Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
You’re ALWAYS better off investing locally, where it’s easier to:
Next best location is somewhere else you lived, where you have an existing network of family & friends to help you as accomplish the above list as needed.
If you invest OOS, your biggest challenge won't be finding properties to meet your goals on paper, it’ll be successfully outsourcing all of the above.
The biggest mistake we see OOS investors making in our market, over and over again, is not fully understanding Neighborhood/Property/Tenant Classes and how they impact your probability of success!
They all run their ROI numbers assuming Class A results – when buying Class B, C & even D rentals.
Then they’re shocked when their performance expectations aren't met😞
If you choose to invest OOS, and have little to no landlord experience, we highly recommend targeting Class B Neighborhoods/Properties/Tenants. If you target Class C, you better be prepared emotionally & financially for plenty of challenges.
You can find Class B properties in the Midwest to BRRRR, but it will take more digging and YOU will need to understand how to analyze & identify them - because a lot of agents, wholesalers, PMCs, etc. will try to sell you Class C or D misrepresented as Class B:
Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?
Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.
The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.
Both Property Class and Tenant Class will affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies you should target and be willing to deal with a property.
The Property Class will also impact the maintenance & renovations you do to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood”.
Why is that important?
Well, if you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will actually rent it?
Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?
So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met, and it may even be a financial disaster.
We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:
Key metrics for each Property Class:
Class A Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.
Class B Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
Tenant Default: 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Vacancies: 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.
Class C Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.
Class D Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.
Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?
Check out this chart:
|
FICO Score |
Pct of Population |
Default Probability |
|
800 or more |
13.00% |
1.00% |
|
750-799 |
27.00% |
1.00% |
|
700-749 |
18.00% |
4.40% |
|
650-699 |
15.00% |
8.90% |
|
600-649 |
12.00% |
15.80% |
|
550-599 |
8.00% |
22.50% |
|
500-549 |
5.00% |
28.40% |
|
Less than 499 |
2.00% |
41.00% |
Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.
Metro Detroit has 132 cities, the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying. Check out the map on our website where we’ve made this all easy to follow.
We can also share numerous examples of properties & portfolios we’ve assisted investors with!
DM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!
Horror Stories from those that did NOT Understand What they were Buying:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-baltimore-a-path-to-never-ending-pain
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/1231840-sell-at-a-loss-or-rent-at-a-loss
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/840134-memphis-turnkey-tenant-turnover-costs
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-experience-of-oos-investing-in-cleveland-after-15-yearsCongrats on starting your journey. I would recommend below books to get yiur fundaments strong:
Strategy:
Rich man in Babylon
Robert Kiosaki
Real Estate Journey:
Ken McKelroy
@Ruth Murga welcome! If you’d like to talk with anyone over the phone, I can be of service. I’m an out of state investor/agent/wholesaler/private lender. Happy to help, just DM me.
Welcome Ruth!
You'll probably get 50 different answers to this question. But for me, it was know your financial downside. If you go through the purchase process and end up with a property that doesn't rent or bad tenants, etc...how long is that sustainable? Your reserves become a pretty significant part of sustaining the property until things turn around.
Feel free to message me with any questions, I'd be happy to share my experience.
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
You’re ALWAYS better off investing locally, where it’s easier to:
Next best location is somewhere else you lived, where you have an existing network of family & friends to help you as accomplish the above list as needed.
If you invest OOS, your biggest challenge won't be finding properties to meet your goals on paper, it’ll be successfully outsourcing all of the above.
The biggest mistake we see OOS investors making in our market, over and over again, is not fully understanding Neighborhood/Property/Tenant Classes and how they impact your probability of success!
They all run their ROI numbers assuming Class A results – when buying Class B, C & even D rentals.
Then they’re shocked when their performance expectations aren't met😞
If you choose to invest OOS, and have little to no landlord experience, we highly recommend targeting Class B Neighborhoods/Properties/Tenants. If you target Class C, you better be prepared emotionally & financially for plenty of challenges.
You can find Class B properties in the Midwest to BRRRR, but it will take more digging and YOU will need to understand how to analyze & identify them - because a lot of agents, wholesalers, PMCs, etc. will try to sell you Class C or D misrepresented as Class B:
Why is Property Class so important for investors to understand and apply in their investing strategies?
Because the Property Class dictates the Class of the tenant pool that the property will attract.
The Tenant Class greatly impacts rental income stability and property maintenance/damage by tenants.
Both Property Class and Tenant Class will affect what type of contractors, handymen and property management companies you should target and be willing to deal with a property.
The Property Class will also impact the maintenance & renovations you do to, “Maintain to the Neighborhood”.
Why is that important?
Well, if you buy & renovate a property in Class D area to Class A standards, what Tenant Class will actually rent it?
Or, if you put several Class D tenants in a Class A four-plex, what do you think will happen to the property?
So, if you fail to apply the correct assumptions to a property, your expectations won’t be met, and it may even be a financial disaster.
We use the following to rank Property Classes, in order of importance:
Key metrics for each Property Class:
Class A Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 680+, no convictions/evictions in last 7 years.
Tenant Default: 0-5% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class A rents are too high and won’t be approved.
Vacancies: 5-10%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 3-5 years for positive cashflow, but you get highest relative rent & value appreciation.
Class B Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 620-680, some blemishes, no convictions/evictions in last 5 years.
Tenant Default: 5-10% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Vacancies: 10-15%, depending on market conditions.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, 1-3 years for positive cashflow, balanced amounts of relative rent & value appreciation.
Section 8: Class B rents are usually too high for the Section 8 program.
Class C Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores 560-620, many blemishes, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 3 years. Verifying recent 2-years of rental history very important! Same for 2-years of job/income stability.
Tenant Default: 10-20% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class C rents usually meet program requirements, proper screening still recommended.
Vacancies: 10-20%, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Should cashflow immediately, at the lower end of relative rent & value appreciation.
Class D Properties:
Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.
Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?
Check out this chart:
|
FICO Score |
Pct of Population |
Default Probability |
|
800 or more |
13.00% |
1.00% |
|
750-799 |
27.00% |
1.00% |
|
700-749 |
18.00% |
4.40% |
|
650-699 |
15.00% |
8.90% |
|
600-649 |
12.00% |
15.80% |
|
550-599 |
8.00% |
22.50% |
|
500-549 |
5.00% |
28.40% |
|
Less than 499 |
2.00% |
41.00% |
Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.
Metro Detroit has 132 cities, the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying. Check out the map on our website where we’ve made this all easy to follow.
We can also share numerous examples of properties & portfolios we’ve assisted investors with!
DM us if you’d like to discuss this logical approach in greater detail!
Horror Stories from those that did NOT Understand What they were Buying:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/1137397-baltimore-a-path-to-never-ending-pain
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/432/topics/1231840-sell-at-a-loss-or-rent-at-a-loss
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/840134-memphis-turnkey-tenant-turnover-costs
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/963/topics/1195280-experience-of-oos-investing-in-cleveland-after-15-yearsHi Ruth, welcome to the community. If you’re planning to invest locally, I’d suggest starting with a house hack. You can live in one unit and rent out the other to help cover your mortgage. The big plus is the lower down payment since you’re buying it as an owner-occupant, not a full investment property. It’s a nice, safer way to get started while building rental income. If you're seeking out of state. Turnkey is the best way to get started while you build your team. I'm happy to connect if you want to brainstorm strategies
Hi @Ruth Murga good to meet you. Welcome!
If I were just starting out, I'd get clear on what I actually want real estate to do for me.
How much do I want to earn and by when?
An extra $1000 a month in a few years is a very different target than replacing a 6 figure income.
From there, I'd look at which path realistically gets me there. Flips, short term rentals, house hacking, small multifamily, large apartment syndications, they all require different levels of capital, time, and involvement. I'd talk to as many people as possible who are actively doing each one and ask what it really takes.
Once I choose a lane, I'd go deep into learning, building relationships, possibly find a mentor, and then define the daily actions required to hit that goal.
Hope that helps. Happy to connect.
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Hey Ruth, welcome to BiggerPockets! The one piece of advice I’d give is to focus on learning and taking small, deliberate steps rather than rushing into your first deal, because building a strong foundation now will save you a lot of headaches later. Spend time understanding your target market, running the numbers, and connecting with other investors who can share real-world insights. For example, when I moved from Portland, Oregon to Columbus, Ohio in 2020 to start investing, I spent months studying neighborhoods, cash flow metrics, and building my team, and now I own 10+ rentals here. Picking a market with solid fundamentals—like strong population growth, job growth, and companies moving in—makes it easier to find deals that cash flow and appreciate over time. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
I'd recommend doing a sewer scope and due diligence on inherited residents.
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Welcome to BiggerPockets! I started off with a house hack. Is that possible for you?
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Welcome to Bigger Pockets Ruth!
The advice I would give at a high level is don't feel like you have to purchase a property immediately, but take some time to educate yourself. Not long ago, I was in your position, so I'll share what my journey has looked like lately.
For me, I have wanted to invest in real estate for many years, but I really started my education in earnest about 7 months ago. Since then, I have read about a dozen or so real estate books from various authors and on various topics within real estate, consumed hundreds of hours of podcasts and Youtube and just this last week, I started making offers. It doesn't have to take this long for everyone; some people are ready to jump in right away, but that's what my journey has been.
Moving forward, I'll still learn a lot on my first deals, but at least I'll have an idea what is going on around me, what is expected of me as an investor, I'll understand what a good deal looks like and when to walk away. The extra time has really helped me shape my identity as a real estate investor and what my strategy will be.
Good luck to you as you begin your journey!
Thanks,
Don
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the valuable insights! I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to share advice and experiences. This community is an incredible resource, and I’m excited to learn, grow, and contribute. Looking forward to connecting and learning from you all!
Thank you everyone for the insight.
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
Hi @Ruth Murga, welcome to the community! Utah is a great market to get your feet wet in.
If I had to give one piece of advice to someone just starting, it would be to factor tax strategy into your deal underwriting from day one, not just at tax time. Understanding how tools like accelerated depreciation can offset your taxable income will completely change how you evaluate a property's true cash flow and ROI.
Hope that helps!
Hi everyone! My name is Ruth, and I’m based in Utah. I’m starting my journey in real estate investing and my main focus right now is learning. I’m excited to be part of this group and to learn from your experiences. Thank you for having me!
If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
@Ruth Murga
The biggest tip I’d give a new investor is to start with simple, cash-flowing deals in markets where your money stretches further, like parts of the Midwest. You can learn the ropes, see real returns, and build confidence without overpaying or stressing over hot markets. Focus on understanding numbers, team building, and how to manage properties remotely if you’re out of state. It’s all about small, smart steps early on!
Welcome Ruth! I am in Utah! When I started out, I binged listened to the Bigger Pockets podcasts and learned so much! I still love to listen to podcasts and read books that teach me. There are a number of great tips from others on this thread! I am happy to talk with you further, feel free to message me. Congrats on getting started!
Welcome to the community, Ruth, and best of luck as you begin this journey! I am a residential investment loan officer and would be more than happy to serve as a resource to help you navigate through and become better educated about various lending programs and financing strategies.