Full time Middle School Principal & Part Time Aspiring Real Estate Investor

Full time Middle School Principal & Part Time Aspiring Real Estate Investor

Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently discovered BiggerPockets and I am learning quite a bit from the podcast. My husband and I are in our mid 40s and looking to get into real estate investing. We live in Brevard County, Florida. Last year we sold our large home in Merritt Island, and purchased a condo for our daughters near USF in Tampa (no more paying for dorms) and a townhome for ourselves. We paid cash for both properties, we then took out a mortgage on our townhome to purchase a rental property (another townhome). Although two of the properties are technically paid off, all three of them have HOAs and only one of them is bringing in rental income. The rental income does cover the mortgage and the HOA for the rental, but it does not cover any taxes or insurance. Not sure if we should have gone about things differently, but there isn't much we can do about that now. We would like to try house hacking as our next move, but unfortunately there isn't a large inventory of multi-family homes in Brevard County, FL. We are currently looking at a rare Duplex that is listed for $420,000. We could move into it and rent the other side, but the rent definitely wouldn't cover the mortgage. It's also not in the best area. It has good bones, but would need some upgrades (flooring, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.). I'm just not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like we may have made a mistake getting three properties with HOAs, although we do save on insurance since the HOAs cover the roof and outside structure. Any guidance for a newbie just getting started???

5Reply
328 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent ¡ Satellite Beach, FL ¡ Member since 2014 ¡ 65 posts ¡ 42 votes
5mo
Quote from @Meara Trine:
Quote from @Jonathan Paz:

Hello Meara,

My wife and I have been investing in Brevard County for about 15 years now.  We moved here from South Florida after college and joining the Air Force and investing locally made a lot of sense.  We were able to fully retire early (under 40 years old) and live off that rental income now.  It’s more income than I can make as an engineer, but it’s definitely not 100% passive when you are exceeding 20+ rentals.  I also help clients, mostly investors, buy homes as an agent.  I do this because it’s something I’m passionate about and I find a lot of fun, but it’s nice having that income stream from the rentals. It took many years of consistently buying deals, house hacking, dealing with lenders, and managing tenants and property managers to get to where we are at.  We have over 40 rental units here now in the Space Coast and have had really good luck with our tenants and property appreciation.  The cash flow has always been tight here, and as you noticed, there aren’t too many duplexes that hit the market that check all the boxes.  We have about 8, and they are in different parts of Brevard, and each area has its pros and cons. You aren’t going to have the best cash flow in the best area.  You will sacrifice one thing over the other.  My advice would be to continue on a slow and steady growth trajectory, using the least amount of cash possible (ie. use leverage) and buy in the better areas.  Appreciation gains have been better than cash flow here.  You too can live off of rentals here.  I helped a friend recently get there, and it takes a lot of sacrificing early on for a very good reward later in life.  We have so much time freedom and it’s wonderful.


 Hi Jonathan, 

Thank you so much for your response! I keep hearing and reading about all this cash flow everyone is getting with their rentals and I was beginning to think I was missing something or that maybe it just wasn't possible to be successful with rental properties in Brevard. Hearing someone say "cash flow is tight in our area" makes me feel so much better. We decided against the duplex because it was old and would probably need more work than it was worth. 

What are your thoughts on townhomes with lower HOAs? As you said, duplexes are rare in our county. We currently own one rental that's a townhome. We have a good tenant in it and basically break even on it, but considering we have a 15 year loan, I thought that wasn't too bad. We are looking for passive income in retirement. We have great, stable daytime jobs that pay us well...so we don't really need cash flow now. I know this goes against a lot of ideas out there.  

I personally own about 20 condos/townhomes that have low HOAs and like them as a means to getting started. They have their pros and cons. We sold our last one that was a similar situation as yours, 15 year loan that basically broke even. I didn't like that it was a small community, so that makes dues more expensive and also reduces the number of qualified and willing HOA board members. It had appreciated a lot and we wanted to cash out of it. In my opinion, townhomes are a really good buy for investments if they have a well managed HOA with low dues. Sometimes it's better when you own your own roof, because it dramatically reduces the HOA cost, however it increases your insurance cost. The pro on this situation is that you don't have the community making decisions on prematurely replacing roofs, but the con is that a bunch of roofs end up looking different which takes away from the aesthetics of the community. The main reason why I like townhomes though is that they finance like a single family home. They do not fall under the same restrictions and financing hurdles as condos, because you actually own the land. This makes selling them in the future easier, however just note that they won't appreciate as much as a house will. We all have to get started somewhere and under a tight budget, and it's really hard to beat the cash flow of an affordable townhome, especially those that are 3 bedrooms and have a garage because they rent for nearly as much as a single family house but at a fraction of the price.

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent ¡ Merritt Island, FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 974 posts ¡ 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Hi Meara,

    Welcome to BP! At which school are you the Principal? My wife teaches in Cocoa Beach and I volunteer as a coach at MIHS. Lots of good questions and IMO, the best thing for you to do now is learn, not buy. You and your husband have to get a better understanding of REI and figure out your path forward (there are many ways to financial freedom). For example, I do not see homes with HOAs as the problem. A bigger problem is having purchased 2 of them cash because that depletes M1 (unless you happen to have tons of cash lying around). Alternatively, have a large HELOC available to tap. When buying a rental, the numbers have to make sense, so if rents aren't covering everything, that's a no. In fact, proper calculations should include reserves so rents need to exceed total monthly outlay. Regarding the duplex, it probably sounds awesome because as you mentioned, we don't have tons of multi-units in Brevard...would the numbers work if both sides were rented? That's what is most important, not living free. If you can see yourself living in that duplex, buy it, renovate, rent one side, move into the other and rent out your current home. Then seek the next project. If both sides of the duplex are rented and the numbers still don't work, move on. It is important to not force a deal. My wife and I have a home near the high school and are looking to build a small portfolio, so my eyes are always peeled. We did sit and have a conversation of where we want to be and how we'll get there. Any chance you know the Verpaele family?

  • Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes
    5mo

    I am the principal at Jefferson....Goooo Statesmen! Thank you for your advice!

    • Real Estate Agent ¡ Merritt Island, FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 974 posts ¡ 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Meara Trine:

      I am the principal at Jefferson....Goooo Statesmen! Thank you for your advice!

      Fantastic!! We're zoned for Jefferson, however, our son starts at Edgewood in August. My wife's a 6th grade teacher at Freedom 7. We need to strengthen the Jefferson-MIHS Track & Field connection. 
      Regarding investing, please feel free to reach out to me for a chat (or chats) anytime. Though you're eager to invest, it is my strong feeling that you and your husband should listen to BP podcasts for a while. Additionally, look at attending real estate investor meetings (not many in Brevard, sadly). 
      Cheers,
      Tchaka


    • Real Estate Agent ¡ Satellite Beach, FL ¡ Member since 2014 ¡ 65 posts ¡ 42 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Tchaka Owen:
      Quote from @Meara Trine:

      I am the principal at Jefferson....Goooo Statesmen! Thank you for your advice!

      Fantastic!! We're zoned for Jefferson, however, our son starts at Edgewood in August. My wife's a 6th grade teacher at Freedom 7. We need to strengthen the Jefferson-MIHS Track & Field connection. 
      Regarding investing, please feel free to reach out to me for a chat (or chats) anytime. Though you're eager to invest, it is my strong feeling that you and your husband should listen to BP podcasts for a while. Additionally, look at attending real estate investor meetings (not many in Brevard, sadly). 
      Cheers,
      Tchaka


      Tchaka,

      Both of our boys go to Freedom 7, 1st and 2nd grade.  We love the school!  Maybe one of them will get your wife as their teacher in a couple of years!  You made all really good points.  I think we share the same investment philosophy.  Listening to a lot of BP podcasts and just having a lot of patience is so important.  Deals are always popping up, but you can go broke buying “good deals” that don’t generate cash flow, are in bad areas, or are money pits.  

    • Real Estate Agent ¡ Merritt Island, FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 974 posts ¡ 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Jonathan, that's wonderful! Our kid had Ms. Curtis (who is one of the 1st grade teachers) and Ms. Robertson for 3rd and 4th (now teaching 2nd) - both great! The school has done a great job with hiring as all teachers excel. Patience is a virtue, particularly since prices in this area have risen substantially since around 2020. Our eyes are always peeled, however, we tend to pass after running the numbers. We're not gun-shy, just patient. Awesome job building such a nice portfolio!!
        
    • Real Estate Agent ¡ Satellite Beach, FL ¡ Member since 2014 ¡ 65 posts ¡ 42 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Tchaka Owen:
      Jonathan, that's wonderful! Our kid had Ms. Curtis (who is one of the 1st grade teachers) and Ms. Robertson for 3rd and 4th (now teaching 2nd) - both great! The school has done a great job with hiring as all teachers excel. Patience is a virtue, particularly since prices in this area have risen substantially since around 2020. Our eyes are always peeled, however, we tend to pass after running the numbers. We're not gun-shy, just patient. Awesome job building such a nice portfolio!!
        

      Our oldest has Mr. Curtis and I agree, she is great and all the Freedom 7 teachers have been so good!  I agree that this is a really tough market to make the numbers work with the prices where they are.  Definitely continue to have patience.  We almost completely stopped buying a couple of years ago after the Covid boom and rise of interest rates.  Maybe 1-2 deals per year now, where we used to do 1 per month.  The stock market has done really well though and there are other options like private lending to take advantage of high interest rates or Treasury Bills when inflation picks up.  It’s a lot easier to make sense of a deal here though if you plan to house hack a primary residence. The luxury/vacation rentals market took a huge beating as well.  Values are still up, but vacancy has skyrocketed.  The worst of areas barely appreciated during Covid boom, as expected.  So I believe the sweet spot is right in the middle, avoiding high end luxury/beachside and low-end D class neighborhoods/areas.  Even though the numbers are tight, this market has weathered the storm and I believe that wages and population will continue to grow which will help support higher rents.

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender ¡ Massillon, OH ¡ Member since 2022 ¡ 1k+ posts ¡ 486 votes
    5mo

    Ideally, you want the property to cover your principal, interest, taxes, insurance, and HOA. Those are all taken into consideration with loans like DSCR loans (debt service coverage ratio...lenders want to see 1:1 or higher here). There are investors that are okay with negative cash flow and they bank on appreciation, but it doesn't sound like that's youor goal here. HOAs aren't inherently bad, but they do make it tougher for a deal to pencil out. I'm guessing the savings on insurance doesn't outweigh the HOA costs, so I wouldn't even factor that in.

    With house hacking, the goal may not always be to have one side completely cover the mortgage, as it's not super common these days. But if the rent from the duplex still wouldn't cover the PITIA once both sides are rented, I'd walk away. 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2011 ¡ 3k+ posts ¡ 2k+ votes
    5mo

    Hello,

    I live in Indialantic, so also close by.  Congratulations for pulling the trigger and actually buying properties, which is often the most challenging part.  

    The idea is to buy assets and not buy liabilities.  

    The overlooked aspect of this discussion is the tax piece. Income properties generate income through rents and to keep the rentals operating, there are expenses such as property tax, mortgage interest, insurance, HOA dues, repairs, utilities and improvements. In the next tax year, you add up all the income and you deduct expenses, as well as depreciate a portion of the basis in the property, and a portion of repairs/improvements; on a rental property, there are a lot of deductions. Please seek a tax professional who can help you turn a possible frown upside down.

    This is the tax-for-lending component: The income properties will go on your tax return and their rents contribute to your income for the purpose of financing, once they have been on your tax return for 2 years.  This matters if you consider financing down the road vs keeping the properties paid off. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent ¡ Columbus, OH ¡ Member since 2019 ¡ 3k+ posts ¡ 2k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Meara Trine:

    Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently discovered BiggerPockets and I am learning quite a bit from the podcast. My husband and I are in our mid 40s and looking to get into real estate investing. We live in Brevard County, Florida. Last year we sold our large home in Merritt Island, and purchased a condo for our daughters near USF in Tampa (no more paying for dorms) and a townhome for ourselves. We paid cash for both properties, we then took out a mortgage on our townhome to purchase a rental property (another townhome). Although two of the properties are technically paid off, all three of them have HOAs and only one of them is bringing in rental income. The rental income does cover the mortgage and the HOA for the rental, but it does not cover any taxes or insurance. Not sure if we should have gone about things differently, but there isn't much we can do about that now. We would like to try house hacking as our next move, but unfortunately there isn't a large inventory of multi-family homes in Brevard County, FL. We are currently looking at a rare Duplex that is listed for $420,000. We could move into it and rent the other side, but the rent definitely wouldn't cover the mortgage. It's also not in the best area. It has good bones, but would need some upgrades (flooring, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.). I'm just not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like we may have made a mistake getting three properties with HOAs, although we do save on insurance since the HOAs cover the roof and outside structure. Any guidance for a newbie just getting started???

    Hey Maera, welcome to BiggerPockets, you’re actually in a better spot than you think and didn’t “mess up,” you just built a portfolio that’s a bit equity-heavy and cash flow-light, which is super common early on. The main thing I’d focus on moving forward is being very intentional about buying for cash flow, not just convenience or location, especially with HOAs since they quietly eat into margins and limit flexibility. On that duplex you’re considering, I’d be careful—if the rent doesn’t even come close to covering the mortgage from day one and it needs upgrades, you’re basically banking on appreciation or future rent increases, which is a tougher play right now and can stretch you thin. House hacking is still a great strategy, but the numbers need to make sense even if it’s not perfect, so I’d either negotiate hard, look for something where you can add value and increase rents quickly, or consider expanding your search area if inventory locally is tight. Also, since you already have equity tied up, it might be worth stepping back and asking whether your next move should be optimizing what you have (raising rents if possible, reviewing expenses, maybe repositioning one property) versus jumping into another deal that doesn’t perform well. A lot of newer investors feel pressure to “keep buying,” but the real win is buying right, not fast.
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor ¡ VA ¡ Member since 2015 ¡ 21k+ posts ¡ 19k+ votes
    5mo
    Welcome to BiggerPockets, and thank you for providing kids an education, as my father was a principal, and I know how challenging it is. First off, buying an HOA is not a bad thing. I own several properties in an HOA, and it's less maintenance because they take care of the roof and all the things you mention. The key with an HOA is to make sure that it is properly managed. In regards to the house hacking component, do not force a house hack and live in a property or an area you do not want to live in. It's not worth the mental stress. Take your time in regards to finding a place, and if you cannot find one, again, there are opportunities out there where you might be able to pick up another rental. It's all about being patient, as real estate is a marathon, not a sprint.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager ¡ Royal Oak, MI ¡ Member since 2012 ¡ 12k+ posts ¡ 9k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Meara Trine:

    Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently discovered BiggerPockets and I am learning quite a bit from the podcast. My husband and I are in our mid 40s and looking to get into real estate investing. We live in Brevard County, Florida. Last year we sold our large home in Merritt Island, and purchased a condo for our daughters near USF in Tampa (no more paying for dorms) and a townhome for ourselves. We paid cash for both properties, we then took out a mortgage on our townhome to purchase a rental property (another townhome). Although two of the properties are technically paid off, all three of them have HOAs and only one of them is bringing in rental income. The rental income does cover the mortgage and the HOA for the rental, but it does not cover any taxes or insurance. Not sure if we should have gone about things differently, but there isn't much we can do about that now. We would like to try house hacking as our next move, but unfortunately there isn't a large inventory of multi-family homes in Brevard County, FL. We are currently looking at a rare Duplex that is listed for $420,000. We could move into it and rent the other side, but the rent definitely wouldn't cover the mortgage. It's also not in the best area. It has good bones, but would need some upgrades (flooring, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.). I'm just not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like we may have made a mistake getting three properties with HOAs, although we do save on insurance since the HOAs cover the roof and outside structure. Any guidance for a newbie just getting started???


    A bit confused with your post.

    1) What are your real estate investing goals?

    2) How are we supposed to help you if you don't share your goals?

    3) Appears your primary has a mortgage on it?

    4) How does the rental income NOT cover the property taxes on the rental if there's no mortgage payment?

    Going to guess you are mixing your properties together?

    Primary: has the mortgage on it. You're paying mortgage, taxes, insurance and HOA.
    - How much of all that will rent cover if/when you rent it out?
    - What were your monthly housing expenses for the Merritt Island house?
    --- How much have your monthly housing expenses changed?

    Rental: no mortgage, but you took out a mortgage on your primary to buy it. So, after that mortgage payment, property taxes, insurance, HOA and 5% vacancy, 10% Maintenance - what's the loss each month?

    Condo/Dorm: no mortgage, you're paying taxes, insurance and HOA.
    - You already stated you bought this to avoid paying for dorms. So, why would you expect cashflow from it?
    - How much are you really saving?

    FEEDBACK: why would you mix all these property performances together? 
    Similarly, why would you expect to live in a duplex and have the rents from one unit cover entire ownership costs?
    - You could have done that 10 years ago, when prices were suppressed, but should NOT expect that NOW

    Again, what are your goals in doing all this?

    • Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Meara Trine:

      Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently discovered BiggerPockets and I am learning quite a bit from the podcast. My husband and I are in our mid 40s and looking to get into real estate investing. We live in Brevard County, Florida. Last year we sold our large home in Merritt Island, and purchased a condo for our daughters near USF in Tampa (no more paying for dorms) and a townhome for ourselves. We paid cash for both properties, we then took out a mortgage on our townhome to purchase a rental property (another townhome). Although two of the properties are technically paid off, all three of them have HOAs and only one of them is bringing in rental income. The rental income does cover the mortgage and the HOA for the rental, but it does not cover any taxes or insurance. Not sure if we should have gone about things differently, but there isn't much we can do about that now. We would like to try house hacking as our next move, but unfortunately there isn't a large inventory of multi-family homes in Brevard County, FL. We are currently looking at a rare Duplex that is listed for $420,000. We could move into it and rent the other side, but the rent definitely wouldn't cover the mortgage. It's also not in the best area. It has good bones, but would need some upgrades (flooring, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.). I'm just not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like we may have made a mistake getting three properties with HOAs, although we do save on insurance since the HOAs cover the roof and outside structure. Any guidance for a newbie just getting started???


      A bit confused with your post.

      1) What are your real estate investing goals?

      2) How are we supposed to help you if you don't share your goals?

      3) Appears your primary has a mortgage on it?

      4) How does the rental income NOT cover the property taxes on the rental if there's no mortgage payment?

      Going to guess you are mixing your properties together?

      Primary: has the mortgage on it. You're paying mortgage, taxes, insurance and HOA.
      - How much of all that will rent cover if/when you rent it out?
      - What were your monthly housing expenses for the Merritt Island house?
      --- How much have your monthly housing expenses changed?

      Rental: no mortgage, but you took out a mortgage on your primary to buy it. So, after that mortgage payment, property taxes, insurance, HOA and 5% vacancy, 10% Maintenance - what's the loss each month?

      Condo/Dorm: no mortgage, you're paying taxes, insurance and HOA.
      - You already stated you bought this to avoid paying for dorms. So, why would you expect cashflow from it?
      - How much are you really saving?

      FEEDBACK: why would you mix all these property performances together? 
      Similarly, why would you expect to live in a duplex and have the rents from one unit cover entire ownership costs?
      - You could have done that 10 years ago, when prices were suppressed, but should NOT expect that NOW

      Again, what are your goals in doing all this?

      Hi Drew,

      I really appreciate your questions and comments. Below are my responses. I look forward to your response. Thank you for helping me.

      1. Our real estate investing goals are to buy and hold 5-6 properties in addition to our primary residence and our daughters' condo (so 7-8 properties total). Ultimately, we want to receive passive income on those 5-6 properties in retirement. We don't plan on retiring until 2040 though, so we do have some time. We will always need a primary residence and we would like to let our daughter's stay in the condo we bought for as long as they want, so we do not expect any income from those 2 properties. I guess technically that makes them liabilities because we will be paying taxes, insurance, and HOA fees for both of those. Once our daughter's finish college and start their careers, they will take over paying for taxes, insurance, and HOA on the paid off condo, but it will remain in our name. That's probably 6 years down the road though.

      2. Agreed, see above.

      3. Yes, we took out a mortgage on our primary residence (that was previously paid off) to purchase our first rental. We only have the one mortgage and it is technically on our primary residence. 

      4. I suppose you are correct. I wasn't thinking of it that way. I was including the mortgage in my calculations since we took it out to purchase the rental. We receive $1925 a month in rent. Taxes, Insurance, and HOA cost $798 a month, so the rent covers that. The mortgage is $1390, so we are short about $263 per month if we include the mortgage.

      5. If we were to rent out our current primary residence, we could probably get $2,000 a month in rent. Taxes, Insurance, and HOA would cost approximately $930. If I were to add in the mortgage there instead of with the rental, that would be $2320, so we would be $320 short...BUT we would be removing the mortgage from the rental calculation which would mean we would be cash flowing $592 from the rental. I hope all that makes sense.

      6. We have 2 reasons for looking at the duplex. We need to move to that area for my husband's work and we like the idea of house hacking. I got the idea/expectation that the rent from one unit should cover ownership costs from reading books and listening to to the BiggerPockets podcast. I didn't think it was possible before that, but keep hearing that it is possible. I just don't want to make a big mistake. I honestly don't think it's possible in my area. 

      7. Again, our goal is not necessarily to cash flow now. We want to cash flow in retirement (2040). BUT, we also don't want to make stupid decisions and lose money either. Even in this forum, I've been told a wide variety of varying opinions. Some say to go slow, others to go fast. Some say to use debt to move forward, others to pay off debt. Some you should only purchase if you can cash flow, others say as long as you break even. It's very confusing.   

    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager ¡ Royal Oak, MI ¡ Member since 2012 ¡ 12k+ posts ¡ 9k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Meara Trine:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Meara Trine:

      Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently discovered BiggerPockets and I am learning quite a bit from the podcast. My husband and I are in our mid 40s and looking to get into real estate investing. We live in Brevard County, Florida. Last year we sold our large home in Merritt Island, and purchased a condo for our daughters near USF in Tampa (no more paying for dorms) and a townhome for ourselves. We paid cash for both properties, we then took out a mortgage on our townhome to purchase a rental property (another townhome). Although two of the properties are technically paid off, all three of them have HOAs and only one of them is bringing in rental income. The rental income does cover the mortgage and the HOA for the rental, but it does not cover any taxes or insurance. Not sure if we should have gone about things differently, but there isn't much we can do about that now. We would like to try house hacking as our next move, but unfortunately there isn't a large inventory of multi-family homes in Brevard County, FL. We are currently looking at a rare Duplex that is listed for $420,000. We could move into it and rent the other side, but the rent definitely wouldn't cover the mortgage. It's also not in the best area. It has good bones, but would need some upgrades (flooring, appliances, cabinets, bathrooms, etc.). I'm just not sure what to do moving forward. I feel like we may have made a mistake getting three properties with HOAs, although we do save on insurance since the HOAs cover the roof and outside structure. Any guidance for a newbie just getting started???


      A bit confused with your post.

      1) What are your real estate investing goals?

      2) How are we supposed to help you if you don't share your goals?

      3) Appears your primary has a mortgage on it?

      4) How does the rental income NOT cover the property taxes on the rental if there's no mortgage payment?

      Going to guess you are mixing your properties together?

      Primary: has the mortgage on it. You're paying mortgage, taxes, insurance and HOA.
      - How much of all that will rent cover if/when you rent it out?
      - What were your monthly housing expenses for the Merritt Island house?
      --- How much have your monthly housing expenses changed?

      Rental: no mortgage, but you took out a mortgage on your primary to buy it. So, after that mortgage payment, property taxes, insurance, HOA and 5% vacancy, 10% Maintenance - what's the loss each month?

      Condo/Dorm: no mortgage, you're paying taxes, insurance and HOA.
      - You already stated you bought this to avoid paying for dorms. So, why would you expect cashflow from it?
      - How much are you really saving?

      FEEDBACK: why would you mix all these property performances together? 
      Similarly, why would you expect to live in a duplex and have the rents from one unit cover entire ownership costs?
      - You could have done that 10 years ago, when prices were suppressed, but should NOT expect that NOW

      Again, what are your goals in doing all this?

      Hi Drew,

      I really appreciate your questions and comments. Below are my responses. I look forward to your response. Thank you for helping me.

      1. Our real estate investing goals are to buy and hold 5-6 properties in addition to our primary residence and our daughters' condo (so 7-8 properties total). Ultimately, we want to receive passive income on those 5-6 properties in retirement. We don't plan on retiring until 2040 though, so we do have some time. We will always need a primary residence and we would like to let our daughter's stay in the condo we bought for as long as they want, so we do not expect any income from those 2 properties. I guess technically that makes them liabilities because we will be paying taxes, insurance, and HOA fees for both of those. Once our daughter's finish college and start their careers, they will take over paying for taxes, insurance, and HOA on the paid off condo, but it will remain in our name. That's probably 6 years down the road though.

      2. Agreed, see above.

      3. Yes, we took out a mortgage on our primary residence (that was previously paid off) to purchase our first rental. We only have the one mortgage and it is technically on our primary residence. 

      4. I suppose you are correct. I wasn't thinking of it that way. I was including the mortgage in my calculations since we took it out to purchase the rental. We receive $1925 a month in rent. Taxes, Insurance, and HOA cost $798 a month, so the rent covers that. The mortgage is $1390, so we are short about $263 per month if we include the mortgage.

      5. If we were to rent out our current primary residence, we could probably get $2,000 a month in rent. Taxes, Insurance, and HOA would cost approximately $930. If I were to add in the mortgage there instead of with the rental, that would be $2320, so we would be $320 short...BUT we would be removing the mortgage from the rental calculation which would mean we would be cash flowing $592 from the rental. I hope all that makes sense.

      6. We have 2 reasons for looking at the duplex. We need to move to that area for my husband's work and we like the idea of house hacking. I got the idea/expectation that the rent from one unit should cover ownership costs from reading books and listening to to the BiggerPockets podcast. I didn't think it was possible before that, but keep hearing that it is possible. I just don't want to make a big mistake. I honestly don't think it's possible in my area. 

      7. Again, our goal is not necessarily to cash flow now. We want to cash flow in retirement (2040). BUT, we also don't want to make stupid decisions and lose money either. Even in this forum, I've been told a wide variety of varying opinions. Some say to go slow, others to go fast. Some say to use debt to move forward, others to pay off debt. Some you should only purchase if you can cash flow, others say as long as you break even. It's very confusing.   


      Yeah, lots of different OPINIONS on RE investing.
      So, be careful of the advice posted here😁

      Leveraging debt on your RE investments can multiply your returns, BUT many investors have been forced to file bankruptcy by too much leveraging leading to too much negative cashflow.
      So, you need to find your risk tolerance and proceed.
      - Often, risk tolerance decreases as we age, because we have less time to recover from financial mistakes.

      It is possible to have one side of a duplex cover the entire housing expenses, but VERY difficult to find these days. You would need to find your own motivated sellers or network with agents, wholesalers, etc. to find them.

      And yes, often you have to look at Class B, C or D areas to find cashflowing properties - BUT, make sure you really understand the corresponding tenant challenges and adjust your vacancy (plus potential evictions) and maintenance assumptions.
      - Make sure you understand, "Maintaining to the Neighborhood" to avoid losing money via over-improvements per your personal preferences.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor ¡ Ellsworth, ME ¡ Member since 2021 ¡ 1k+ posts ¡ 2k+ votes
    5mo

    You can change anything about a property except for its location. Don't talk yourself into purchasing in a questionable neighborhood. My litmus test for purchase/location has evolved over time. Since we started doing mid term rentals (common to get traveling nurses), I always ask myself "Would a single female travel nurse walk her dog in this neighborhood at night?" You're local, so you know the location and neighborhood, but make sure you visit the property after dark as well. 

    Good luck...if you can be a middle school principal, balance your life, and maintain some semblance of mental health, scaling your portfolio and building more wealth won't be a problem. Feel free to reach out if you think that there is anything that I can do to be a resource. My background is in live-in flips, long term, mid term, and short term rentals. I have absolutely nothing to sell. 

    • Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Travis Timmons:

      You can change anything about a property except for its location. Don't talk yourself into purchasing in a questionable neighborhood. My litmus test for purchase/location has evolved over time. Since we started doing mid term rentals (common to get traveling nurses), I always ask myself "Would a single female travel nurse walk her dog in this neighborhood at night?" You're local, so you know the location and neighborhood, but make sure you visit the property after dark as well. 

      Good luck...if you can be a middle school principal, balance your life, and maintain some semblance of mental health, scaling your portfolio and building more wealth won't be a problem. Feel free to reach out if you think that there is anything that I can do to be a resource. My background is in live-in flips, long term, mid term, and short term rentals. I have absolutely nothing to sell. 

      Thank you Travis. I truly appreciate your insights! I also appreciate that you have nothing to sell and are just willing to give advice. In today's world, that is insanely valuable!
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFPŽ, PFS ¡ FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 5k+ posts ¡ 3k+ votes
    5mo

    From a tax standpoint, I do not think you made a mistake. A lot of newer investors end up in HOA properties at first, especially in Florida, and there are still good tax benefits on the rental side.

    Your rental townhome should allow you to deduct things like mortgage interest, HOA fees, property taxes, insurance, repairs, and depreciation, which can help reduce the taxable income from the property.

    The condo for your daughters is a little different. Unless they are paying you fair market rent, the IRS will generally view that as a personal property rather than a true rental, so you would not get the full rental tax benefits there.

    As for the duplex, living in one side and renting the other can still be a great way to get started. Even if the rent does not fully cover the mortgage at first, the rental portion can still create valuable tax deductions through depreciation and expenses.

    Honestly, I would worry more so long term cash flow and buying in a good area and then letting the tax benefits come into play like depreciation and expenses to reduce the "taxable" income on the property. High HOA fees are not ideal, but they are also common in Florida and sometimes help lower your insurance exposure. The biggest thing is making sure future deals make sense financially and are not relying only on appreciation to work.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPAÂŽ5241 Reviews
    TaxMDÂŽ | Tax Planning Software
  • Real Estate Agent ¡ Satellite Beach, FL ¡ Member since 2014 ¡ 65 posts ¡ 42 votes
    5mo

    Hello Meara,

    My wife and I have been investing in Brevard County for about 15 years now.  We moved here from South Florida after college and joining the Air Force and investing locally made a lot of sense.  We were able to fully retire early (under 40 years old) and live off that rental income now.  It’s more income than I can make as an engineer, but it’s definitely not 100% passive when you are exceeding 20+ rentals.  I also help clients, mostly investors, buy homes as an agent.  I do this because it’s something I’m passionate about and I find a lot of fun, but it’s nice having that income stream from the rentals. It took many years of consistently buying deals, house hacking, dealing with lenders, and managing tenants and property managers to get to where we are at.  We have over 40 rental units here now in the Space Coast and have had really good luck with our tenants and property appreciation.  The cash flow has always been tight here, and as you noticed, there aren’t too many duplexes that hit the market that check all the boxes.  We have about 8, and they are in different parts of Brevard, and each area has its pros and cons. You aren’t going to have the best cash flow in the best area.  You will sacrifice one thing over the other.  My advice would be to continue on a slow and steady growth trajectory, using the least amount of cash possible (ie. use leverage) and buy in the better areas.  Appreciation gains have been better than cash flow here.  You too can live off of rentals here.  I helped a friend recently get there, and it takes a lot of sacrificing early on for a very good reward later in life.  We have so much time freedom and it’s wonderful.

    • Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jonathan Paz:

      Hello Meara,

      My wife and I have been investing in Brevard County for about 15 years now.  We moved here from South Florida after college and joining the Air Force and investing locally made a lot of sense.  We were able to fully retire early (under 40 years old) and live off that rental income now.  It’s more income than I can make as an engineer, but it’s definitely not 100% passive when you are exceeding 20+ rentals.  I also help clients, mostly investors, buy homes as an agent.  I do this because it’s something I’m passionate about and I find a lot of fun, but it’s nice having that income stream from the rentals. It took many years of consistently buying deals, house hacking, dealing with lenders, and managing tenants and property managers to get to where we are at.  We have over 40 rental units here now in the Space Coast and have had really good luck with our tenants and property appreciation.  The cash flow has always been tight here, and as you noticed, there aren’t too many duplexes that hit the market that check all the boxes.  We have about 8, and they are in different parts of Brevard, and each area has its pros and cons. You aren’t going to have the best cash flow in the best area.  You will sacrifice one thing over the other.  My advice would be to continue on a slow and steady growth trajectory, using the least amount of cash possible (ie. use leverage) and buy in the better areas.  Appreciation gains have been better than cash flow here.  You too can live off of rentals here.  I helped a friend recently get there, and it takes a lot of sacrificing early on for a very good reward later in life.  We have so much time freedom and it’s wonderful.


       Hi Jonathan, 

      Thank you so much for your response! I keep hearing and reading about all this cash flow everyone is getting with their rentals and I was beginning to think I was missing something or that maybe it just wasn't possible to be successful with rental properties in Brevard. Hearing someone say "cash flow is tight in our area" makes me feel so much better. We decided against the duplex because it was old and would probably need more work than it was worth. 

      What are your thoughts on townhomes with lower HOAs? As you said, duplexes are rare in our county. We currently own one rental that's a townhome. We have a good tenant in it and basically break even on it, but considering we have a 15 year loan, I thought that wasn't too bad. We are looking for passive income in retirement. We have great, stable daytime jobs that pay us well...so we don't really need cash flow now. I know this goes against a lot of ideas out there.  

    • Real Estate Agent ¡ Satellite Beach, FL ¡ Member since 2014 ¡ 65 posts ¡ 42 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Meara Trine:
      Quote from @Jonathan Paz:

      Hello Meara,

      My wife and I have been investing in Brevard County for about 15 years now.  We moved here from South Florida after college and joining the Air Force and investing locally made a lot of sense.  We were able to fully retire early (under 40 years old) and live off that rental income now.  It’s more income than I can make as an engineer, but it’s definitely not 100% passive when you are exceeding 20+ rentals.  I also help clients, mostly investors, buy homes as an agent.  I do this because it’s something I’m passionate about and I find a lot of fun, but it’s nice having that income stream from the rentals. It took many years of consistently buying deals, house hacking, dealing with lenders, and managing tenants and property managers to get to where we are at.  We have over 40 rental units here now in the Space Coast and have had really good luck with our tenants and property appreciation.  The cash flow has always been tight here, and as you noticed, there aren’t too many duplexes that hit the market that check all the boxes.  We have about 8, and they are in different parts of Brevard, and each area has its pros and cons. You aren’t going to have the best cash flow in the best area.  You will sacrifice one thing over the other.  My advice would be to continue on a slow and steady growth trajectory, using the least amount of cash possible (ie. use leverage) and buy in the better areas.  Appreciation gains have been better than cash flow here.  You too can live off of rentals here.  I helped a friend recently get there, and it takes a lot of sacrificing early on for a very good reward later in life.  We have so much time freedom and it’s wonderful.


       Hi Jonathan, 

      Thank you so much for your response! I keep hearing and reading about all this cash flow everyone is getting with their rentals and I was beginning to think I was missing something or that maybe it just wasn't possible to be successful with rental properties in Brevard. Hearing someone say "cash flow is tight in our area" makes me feel so much better. We decided against the duplex because it was old and would probably need more work than it was worth. 

      What are your thoughts on townhomes with lower HOAs? As you said, duplexes are rare in our county. We currently own one rental that's a townhome. We have a good tenant in it and basically break even on it, but considering we have a 15 year loan, I thought that wasn't too bad. We are looking for passive income in retirement. We have great, stable daytime jobs that pay us well...so we don't really need cash flow now. I know this goes against a lot of ideas out there.  

      I personally own about 20 condos/townhomes that have low HOAs and like them as a means to getting started. They have their pros and cons. We sold our last one that was a similar situation as yours, 15 year loan that basically broke even. I didn't like that it was a small community, so that makes dues more expensive and also reduces the number of qualified and willing HOA board members. It had appreciated a lot and we wanted to cash out of it. In my opinion, townhomes are a really good buy for investments if they have a well managed HOA with low dues. Sometimes it's better when you own your own roof, because it dramatically reduces the HOA cost, however it increases your insurance cost. The pro on this situation is that you don't have the community making decisions on prematurely replacing roofs, but the con is that a bunch of roofs end up looking different which takes away from the aesthetics of the community. The main reason why I like townhomes though is that they finance like a single family home. They do not fall under the same restrictions and financing hurdles as condos, because you actually own the land. This makes selling them in the future easier, however just note that they won't appreciate as much as a house will. We all have to get started somewhere and under a tight budget, and it's really hard to beat the cash flow of an affordable townhome, especially those that are 3 bedrooms and have a garage because they rent for nearly as much as a single family house but at a fraction of the price.

    • Rental Property Investor ¡ Melbourne, FL ¡ Member since 2026 ¡ 7 posts ¡ 10 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jonathan Paz:
      Quote from @Meara Trine:
      Quote from @Jonathan Paz:

      Hello Meara,

      My wife and I have been investing in Brevard County for about 15 years now.  We moved here from South Florida after college and joining the Air Force and investing locally made a lot of sense.  We were able to fully retire early (under 40 years old) and live off that rental income now.  It’s more income than I can make as an engineer, but it’s definitely not 100% passive when you are exceeding 20+ rentals.  I also help clients, mostly investors, buy homes as an agent.  I do this because it’s something I’m passionate about and I find a lot of fun, but it’s nice having that income stream from the rentals. It took many years of consistently buying deals, house hacking, dealing with lenders, and managing tenants and property managers to get to where we are at.  We have over 40 rental units here now in the Space Coast and have had really good luck with our tenants and property appreciation.  The cash flow has always been tight here, and as you noticed, there aren’t too many duplexes that hit the market that check all the boxes.  We have about 8, and they are in different parts of Brevard, and each area has its pros and cons. You aren’t going to have the best cash flow in the best area.  You will sacrifice one thing over the other.  My advice would be to continue on a slow and steady growth trajectory, using the least amount of cash possible (ie. use leverage) and buy in the better areas.  Appreciation gains have been better than cash flow here.  You too can live off of rentals here.  I helped a friend recently get there, and it takes a lot of sacrificing early on for a very good reward later in life.  We have so much time freedom and it’s wonderful.


       Hi Jonathan, 

      Thank you so much for your response! I keep hearing and reading about all this cash flow everyone is getting with their rentals and I was beginning to think I was missing something or that maybe it just wasn't possible to be successful with rental properties in Brevard. Hearing someone say "cash flow is tight in our area" makes me feel so much better. We decided against the duplex because it was old and would probably need more work than it was worth. 

      What are your thoughts on townhomes with lower HOAs? As you said, duplexes are rare in our county. We currently own one rental that's a townhome. We have a good tenant in it and basically break even on it, but considering we have a 15 year loan, I thought that wasn't too bad. We are looking for passive income in retirement. We have great, stable daytime jobs that pay us well...so we don't really need cash flow now. I know this goes against a lot of ideas out there.  

      I personally own about 20 condos/townhomes that have low HOAs and like them as a means to getting started. They have their pros and cons. We sold our last one that was a similar situation as yours, 15 year loan that basically broke even. I didn't like that it was a small community, so that makes dues more expensive and also reduces the number of qualified and willing HOA board members. It had appreciated a lot and we wanted to cash out of it. In my opinion, townhomes are a really good buy for investments if they have a well managed HOA with low dues. Sometimes it's better when you own your own roof, because it dramatically reduces the HOA cost, however it increases your insurance cost. The pro on this situation is that you don't have the community making decisions on prematurely replacing roofs, but the con is that a bunch of roofs end up looking different which takes away from the aesthetics of the community. The main reason why I like townhomes though is that they finance like a single family home. They do not fall under the same restrictions and financing hurdles as condos, because you actually own the land. This makes selling them in the future easier, however just note that they won't appreciate as much as a house will. We all have to get started somewhere and under a tight budget, and it's really hard to beat the cash flow of an affordable townhome, especially those that are 3 bedrooms and have a garage because they rent for nearly as much as a single family house but at a fraction of the price.


       Thank you!!! This is so helpful to hear.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker ¡ Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX ¡ Member since 2018 ¡ 5k+ posts ¡ 2k+ votes
    5mo

    @Meara Trine

    You’re not to blame, you just happened to be in the wrong class of investments; that’s typical in Florida because of HOAs. I would not try to force a deal that does not work out, particularly in an underperforming market. The goal here should be to look for the next property solely from the cash-flow perspective, regardless of whether it’s in Brevard County or not.

    Good luck!

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker ¡ Tampa, FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 1k+ posts ¡ 685 votes
    5mo

    Hey Meara welcome you’re actually in a solid position owning multiple properties already I’ve been investing in Florida for over 20 years and I’m personally not a fan of HOAs for rentals since they tend to squeeze cash flow so what you’re seeing is normal before jumping into that duplex I’d stress test it assume 75–80% occupancy higher taxes and insurance maintenance and reserves and see if you’re still comfortable covering the gap if not I wouldn’t force it especially in a weaker area better to wait for a deal that works on day one if you ever want a second set of eyes on numbers happy to help just shoot me a message

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Contractor ¡ Orlando, FL ¡ Member since 2016 ¡ 72 posts ¡ 16 votes
    4mo

    Welcome, Meara.

    First, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much. Most investors have at least one purchase they would structure differently with the benefit of hindsight. The important thing is that you're analyzing the situation now instead of continuing on autopilot.

    One thing that stood out to me is that you seem focused on whether the rent covers the mortgage, but I'd encourage you to look at the full picture: HOA fees, insurance, taxes, maintenance reserves, vacancy, and any upcoming capital expenses. A property can technically be cash-flowing and still underperform from an investment standpoint.

    Regarding the duplex, I'd be cautious about assuming the renovations will create enough value to justify the investment. Before spending money on flooring, cabinets, bathrooms, and other upgrades, I'd want to verify what renovated duplexes in that area are actually renting for and work backward from there.

    The good news is that you're asking these questions before buying, not after. That's usually the difference between an expensive lesson and a successful investment.

    I've seen plenty of investors discover that the best deal wasn't the property they almost bought, but the one they walked away from after digging deeper into the numbers.

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker ¡ Tampa, FL ¡ Member since 2017 ¡ 1k+ posts ¡ 685 votes
    4mo

    I actually love house hacking. It's how I got started and one of the biggest reasons I was able to grow to about 40 properties over the years. Personally, I'm not a fan of HOAs (I can share a story I wrote about them after investing in HOAs over the past 25 years), but I don't think that's your biggest issue. I'd focus on the numbers. Just because a property is a duplex doesn't mean it's automatically a good house hack. If the rent from the other side doesn't meaningfully lower your housing cost or move you closer to positive cash flow, I'd keep looking. Don't beat yourself up over the decisions you've already made. Most investors learn more from their first few deals than from any book or podcast. Keep learning, keep running the numbers, and be patient. The right deal is worth waiting for. Moving forward no more HOAs!!! 

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.