Kiwi living in Manila...

11 Replies

Hi all, 

I have been interested in real estate for a while and have finally decided that i've done enough reading and now is the time to take the plunge. 

I am in an interesting position. I am from New Zealand, however I am currently living and working in Manila, The Philippines. My girlfriend is also from Boston, so we spend alot of time back there. My first task is decide where I would like to invest. Each location presents different opportunities.

Im excited about what the future holds in store and I look forward to connecting with you all.

@Garrick Thompon  welcome to BP!  My first thoughts would be where the economy is most stable and where I'm going to spending the most amount of my time.  My girlfriend was born in Manila and grew up in Baguio.   We considered investing there however we don't feel good about the gov't.  Its never been solid.  So we'll stick to the U.S. for now.

Promotion
Innago
Property Management Software
Manage Your Rentals Better For Free. Save Time & Money.
Easily Collect Rent, Screen Tenants, Sign Leases, List Properties, Manage Work Orders, & Much More!
100% Free Try It Now

I'm originally from the Philippines and have some investments there. All of these investments are buy and hold. What I noticed there is that virtually no cycles of up & down it seems RE is always in the upward trend that makes RE unaffordable to ordinary folks. I found that it's also challenging to unload, flips. Maybe I'm not doing the right marketing. Any advice from Philippines is appreciated.

Jimmy

@Darren Sager  thanks. I hear your thoughts regarding the political environment here, and that is a reason to move with caution. At the same time, there is allot of opportunity here in specific pockets of the market. The US market does intrigue me however, and it is most likely that we will spend a majority of our time there in the future.

@James Reyes  thanks for the response. Are your current investments in Manila? It's an interesting market here. I think there may be an oversupply of studio/ 1 bedroom apartments with a large number of new buildings being turned over this year. I do think there are specific pockets however that may present an opportunity. 

@Garrick Thompon I'm looking to get started in the next 3-6 months, once i have made a decision on where i would like to invest. 

Got any Nike sneakers? Their motto is...

Mike

PS You could procrastinate tomorrow and get started today?

PPS I'm pushing myself to do some of my "cold calls" right now (which I'd rather do tomorrow (& tomorrow never comes...))

Are there any meet ups or REIAs or anything in the Manila area? I'm in the am boat as @Garrick Thompon . I'm from the US but currently living in Manila. I am looking to invest back in the US since this market has just appreciated so much but rents have barely moved but would like to meet some like minded individuals 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you