ISO: Learning Opportunities

7 Replies

Hello,

Brandon here. I am actively seeking a real estate investment group or meet-up in the Cobb county area. I would be willing to travel to Atlanta, however I do live in Kennesaw so that would be easier. 

I would like to get some knowledge and really involve myself with folks who are actively buying properties, rehabbing and flipping. I'm not looking for a shortcut, or a GRQ scheme, no bootcamps or overpriced seminars. Just good old fashion information, relationship building, and learning by doing.

@Brandon Davis welcome to BP. You have found the place to learn right here. You can think of BP as one big giant virtual mentor.  There is a ton of information all over the site. Check under the learn tab for how to guides, podcasts and blogs. 

To find an existing group in your area search Google for REIA or Meetup. There are a ton of small (and not so small) meetup investor groups.

Hi @Brandon Davis ! Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I'm here based in Dunwoody near Perimeter Mall but I invest in Cobb County as well. What specifically are you looking to get into? I might be able to help. 

There are plenty of REIA meetups out in Cobb County that might be good to go to. There's also a North Georgia REIA group. The one thing I'll tell you to watch out for is the constant sales pitches you'll get. You will generally find great (free) resources here that are way better than many of the "seminars" that are pitched there. Feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like to connect.

Hey @Brandon Davis !  Welcome to BP!  I'm in Kennesaw too.  My husband and I bought our first two rental properties in the last year and I can honestly say we couldn't have done it without the resources on BP.  

As far as Cobb Co. REIAs go, we went to one meeting and got pretty turned off by the "pitchiness" and haven't been back.  As @Marvin McTaw mentioned, there is a North Georgia REIA that's supposed to be really good. We haven't made it up there, and unfortunately it's ending after this year. North Metro REIA meets the 1st Thursday of every month at the Hilton Garden Inn on Cobb Place Blvd in Kennesaw. Haven't been to that one yet, but I'm hoping to get there the first of next year.

Also, be on the lookout for ATL area BP meetups.  

Hope this helps - best wishes to you!

Hey Julie

Thanks for that tid-bit of information. Congratulations on your purchases! I am definitely not interested in any pitches or fake interest just to develop into a pitch. My last "mentor" and I met at home depot. I'm just on my own now and looking to get in contact with the right people :).

Any how I wish you the best and hopefully well run into each other at a REI event.

P.S. Your goals are exciting too $$$

@Brandon Davis

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. You can search Bigger Pockets Members list for members in your area who have information associated with their names pertaining to what you are seeking. 

Bigger Pockets has various resources: ebooks, blogs, forums, podcasts, webinars, colleagues, keyword alerts, an awards system, a learn section, informative people in many fields of real estate, and more.

Consider spending 30 minutes for 30 consecutive days on Bigger Pockets. You will receive an Addict award along with a habit; as well as learning and retaining useful real estate information without struggling.

We are considered to be the average of the 5 people we spend the most time with so connect with REIA meetings, accountability partners, and mastermind groups to engage with individuals interested in real estate investing.

At the bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. You will see answers to questions that you didn't even think of.

Enjoy as you prosper.....

Brandon:

Good morning, and welcome to BP! Here's some food for thought:

Before you make your first investment, meet with a mortgage/financial professional. They'll ask you to share your short- AND long-term goals, and then they'll help you construct a plan that will do two things:

1. Achieve your short-term goals that will produce proceeds and resources that will,

2. Give you the wherewithal to pursue and achieve your long-term goals

Many investors start off "too hot", and they either overdevelop their first property or they spend their money too fast: either of these behaviors will stop you dead in your tracks, and you probably won't even be able to achieve your short-term goals - and you certainly won't have the resources to pursue your long-term goals. Since you're not paying a mortgage pro for consulting, it's in their best interest to give you a solid plan so you're successful.

I wish you the very best!

Grant

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you