Newbie from Belleville, IL.

26 Replies

Hello BP community!

My name is Ryan Smith, and I'm a wholesaler in St. Clair County, IL. I also do deals in St.Louis, MO. I have a couple of deals under my belt, but I do considering myself wet behind the ears. I have been studying real estate for over a year now, but recently started taking the necessary action to be successful, and I have been making some really great progress and connections.

I was recently laid off of my job of 3 years at United States Steel due to market conditions, in which I was a manager in the Business Department. Since then, I have been going full force with my wholesaling business with the goal of not having to resort back to the 9-5 life. I understand that this will take great sacrifice and dedication, but I am up for the challenge. Ultimately, my goal is to continue to grow my wholesaling business to the point in which I have a very strong presence in my target markets; once that is accomplished I will start to venture off into other markets. Currently my goal is to close on 2 deals per month.

Another goal of mine is to build up my net worth through buy and hold properties. Once I am established in my wholesaling business I would like to purchase at least 2-3 rentals per year. I am aware of all the different strategies used to acquire property for cash flow, and I plan to find the one that best fits my business model and apply it accordingly.

Real Estate is my definite purpose in life, and I plan to work as hard as possible to accomplish the goals I have set for myself, while also helping as many people as possible along the way. I look forward to all of the many connections I will make on BP, and will definitely take advantage of the network and tons of useful information that is shared throughout the forums.

Welcome to BP @Ryan Smith ! Looks like you're headed in all the right directions. Stay active on the site, ask lots of questions & you'll accomplish all the goals you mentioned and more. Good luck!

Here is where you can learn more about getting started:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Connect with other BP members:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

Set up keyword alerts for topics that interest you:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

@Ryan Smith - Welcome to the interactive BP community, you are at the right place.

I am sorry to hear of your 9-5 job separation, but, you have basically turned a lemon into lemonade via your REI pursuits.

I like the fact that you have dual plans to achieve, support and sustain your lifestyle so that there is no need to revert to a 9-5 job environment. 

In other words, you are in control of your life, period!

You have outlined a two pronged approach in Wholesale and Buy and Holds with preset target levels of achievement.

Good luck and best wishes with your plans.

You have taken the necessary steps that will help you achieve your twin goals! 

Originally posted by @Ryan Smith :

Hello BP community!

My name is Ryan Smith, and I'm a wholesaler in St. Clair County, IL. I also do deals in St.Louis, MO. I have a couple of deals under my belt, but I do considering myself wet behind the ears. I have been studying real estate for over a year now, but recently started taking the necessary action to be successful, and I have been making some really great progress and connections.

I was recently laid off of my job of 3 years at United States Steel due to market conditions, in which I was a manager in the Business Department. Since then, I have been going full force with my wholesaling business with the goal of not having to resort back to the 9-5 life. I understand that this will take great sacrifice and dedication, but I am up for the challenge. Ultimately, my goal is to continue to grow my wholesaling business to the point in which I have a very strong presence in my target markets; once that is accomplished I will start to venture off into other markets. Currently my goal is to close on 2 deals per month.

Another goal of mine is to build up my net worth through buy and hold properties. Once I am established in my wholesaling business I would like to purchase at least 2-3 rentals per year. I am aware of all the different strategies used to acquire property for cash flow, and I plan to find the one that best fits my business model and apply it accordingly.

Real Estate is my definite purpose in life, and I plan to work as hard as possible to accomplish the goals I have set for myself, while also helping as many people as possible along the way. I look forward to all of the many connections I will make on BP, and will definitely take advantage of the network and tons of useful information that is shared throughout the forums.

Hello!  My name is Michael Lee and I am from and grew up in the City of Dallas and live in a smaller town in NW Dallas County.  Please let me help you in Real Estate or construction.  Good luck to you.

Originally posted by @Ryan Smith :

Hello BP community!

Welcome to BP, I've been using this website for a few weeks now and I have learned so much from the people in here. 

Hi Ryan, welcome to BP! I'm also Real Estate novice, this site and community are amazing! in just one month I have so much I didn't know about REI... I look forward to seeing you around BP!

Welcome to BP, Ryan. I hope your change in employment status will be a blessing in disguise and you don't have to return to 9-5 either. Even if you do, keep at it and build your business as whatever pace you can. Learn as much as you can along the way and I'm sure you'll be thankful for both your successes and what you learn from any mistakes.

@Ryan Smith

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I discovered BP a while ago but didn't really get involved until recently. I'm sorry I waited so long to "plug in". BP is an awesome resource.

I am a cash flow investor. I have been a landlord since 1982 and I have also flipped a fair numbers of homes over the years.

A couple of years ago I discovered the "paper" side of the real estate investment world. I purchased my first Mortgage Note. I have been actively acquiring Notes since that time.

I like the the passive nature, the safety and the cash flow that I receive from Performing Mortgage Notes. I still own "brick & mortar" real estate but my end game is to be 100% in paper at some point.

Check out my profile & let's chat. I'd like to get to know you. I invest all over the country. Who knows, maybe we can do a deal together at some point.

GO BP!!!!

@Ryan Smith

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I concur with @Justin Windham that your employment situation be use for your good. 

Your goals are obtainable and you have a thought out plan. Work your plan daily; success will follow.

Brandon Turner mentions we are considered to be the average of the 5 people we spend the most time with so connect with REIA meetings, accountability partners, and mastermind groups to engage with individuals interested in real estate investing.

At the bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. You will see answers to questions that you didn't even think of. 

Looking forward to sharing insights with you in the forums.

Enjoy as you prosper.....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you