San Diego Meetup.

14 Replies

Hi Stacie,

There is a Bigger Pockets Real Estate Investors meetup coming up soon.

The next event will take place on Friday, October 19th at 5:30 PM @ Ballast Point - Miramar.

Address: 9045 Carroll Way, San Diego, CA 92121.

Check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/623256-san-diego-real-estate-investor-happy-hour-friday-october-19th?page=1#p3715666

Originally posted by @Stacie Lynn :
I was wondering if anyone knows of any Meetups on the San Diego area. Would like to meet up with others and collaborate.

Your BP Dashboard will list local events that have been posted on BP including the one that @Gregg Watkins posted.

Meetup.com is another source for real estate meetups.  Just enter real estate in the search field.

Good luck 

Originally posted by @Stacie Lynn :
@Dan Heuschele thank you! I am also in Poway.

I am in North Poway off of Espola Road.  I sent you a PM in response to the other thread looking for local investors with experience.  

I have had a goal to do more RE networking this year and to that end I have made it to two of the San Diego BP socials mentioned by @Gregg Watkins (I do not get a pull down for his name) and hope to make it to more this year.  So far the experience level of the people I have met there has been pretty low which I understand that they are there to make contacts and learn (everyone needs to start).  My issue is that there have been way too few successful, experienced local RE investors at both San Diego BP socials that I went to.  In addition the majority of the not so experienced are either out of state (OOS) or planning on going OOS.

So I am not recommending against going to the San Diego BP social as much as 1) setting an expectation 2) suggesting you may want to go to a meetup maybe associated with an RE investor club.

BTW there used to be a near monthly BP Meetup at various RE investment properties.  They had great variety and the people who were sponsoring those Meetups were actually doing various local and sometimes large RE investment projects.  I volunteered one of my rehab projects but it was at the same time that someone else volunteered their rehab project just a few miles from my RE so the other rehab effort was used.  I found them more interesting and informative than the San Diego BP social.  Maybe we can get them to resurrect them (@Kevin Fox , @Justin R. , ...).  Unfortunately, I do not have a current value add in works to volunteer a project.

Good luck

Originally posted by @Dan Heuschele :
Originally posted by @Stacie Lynn:

I am in North Poway off of Espola Road.  I sent you a PM in response to the other thread looking for local investors with experience.  

I have had a goal to do more RE networking this year and to that end I have made it to two of the San Diego BP socials mentioned by @Gregg Watkins (I do not get a pull down for his name) and hope to make it to more this year.  So far the experience level of the people I have met there has been pretty low which I understand that they are there to make contacts and learn (everyone needs to start).  My issue is that there have been way too few successful, experienced local RE investors at both San Diego BP socials that I went to.  In addition the majority of the not so experienced are either out of state (OOS) or planning on going OOS.

So I am not recommending against going to the San Diego BP social as much as 1) setting an expectation 2) suggesting you may want to go to a meetup maybe associated with an RE investor club.

BTW there used to be a near monthly BP Meetup at various RE investment properties.  They had great variety and the people who were sponsoring those Meetups were actually doing various local and sometimes large RE investment projects.  I volunteered one of my rehab projects but it was at the same time that someone else volunteered their rehab project just a few miles from my RE so the other rehab effort was used.  I found them more interesting and informative than the San Diego BP social.  Maybe we can get them to resurrect them (@Kevin Fox , @Justin R. , ...).  Unfortunately, I do not have a current value add in works to volunteer a project.

Good luck

When I first started, I went to a few local REI group meetings in Houston. However, I quickly realized that no one there had done a deal. I had just a few apt buildings at the time but still had more experience than others.

I'd LOVE to go to a SD REI group that had some experienced investors. I've sort of ignored those I've seen posted as I fear it's just going to be a bunch of people in a room asking if starting an LLC and building a team is a good first step.

It sounds elitist but someone suggested making a forum only for "professionals" (vs. the simple pay-for 'pro' designation which doesn't say anything about your experience).  Now idea how that would be monitored but if they could find a way I bet they'd get a new level of engagement from those with a lot of experience.

I know I have my own questions from time to time but don't really ask as there really isn't a forum designed for and checked by those who have been doing what I'm interested in discussing. 

Originally posted by @Cody L. :
Originally posted by @Dan Heuschele:

Good luck

When I first started, I went to a few local REI group meetings in Houston. However, I quickly realized that no one there had done a deal. I had just a few apt buildings at the time but still had more experience than others.

I'd LOVE to go to a SD REI group that had some experienced investors. I've sort of ignored those I've seen posted as I fear it's just going to be a bunch of people in a room asking if starting an LLC and building a team is a good first step.

It sounds elitist but someone suggested making a forum only for "professionals" (vs. the simple pay-for 'pro' designation which doesn't say anything about your experience).  Now idea how that would be monitored but if they could find a way I bet they'd get a new level of engagement from those with a lot of experience.

I know I have my own questions from time to time but don't really ask as there really isn't a forum designed for and checked by those who have been doing what I'm interested in discussing. 

I posted a question a few months ago (on an easment issue that ended up having the thread removed) and got various replies including from some very experienced RE investors.  The bulk of the replies, including those from experienced RE investors, went contrary to what I believed and scared me (and scared my wife more).  I consulted a local lawyer that knew the law and the bulk of the replies were incorrect.

So far the problem has gone away but there still may be a legal show down in the future but I suspect the other party has or will back down.  Regardless if there is a future legal action, we feel much better having consulted an expert.

My point is a lot of people provide their view on this forum.  Some of them have done very little in RE, some have achieved great success in RE, some think they are on the path to great success but are one Great Recession from being wiped out.  It does not matter who replies, do not rely on the information without verifying via a trusted source.

Originally posted by @Cody L. :
Originally posted by @Dan Heuschele:

BTW there used to be a near monthly BP Meetup at various RE investment properties.  They had great variety and the people who were sponsoring those Meetups were actually doing various local and sometimes large RE investment projects.  I volunteered one of my rehab projects but it was at the same time that someone else volunteered their rehab project just a few miles from my RE so the other rehab effort was used.  I found them more interesting and informative than the San Diego BP social.  Maybe we can get them to resurrect them (@Kevin Fox , @Justin R., ...).  Unfortunately, I do not have a current value add in works to volunteer a project.

Good luck

When I hear people describing Mastermind groups, they sound like what you're describing.  I've never looked into joining or creating one.

Hey Stacie! You should come to the SD Outback REIN meetings on the third Wed. of every month. The next one is this Wed. at 6:30 at Marina Village. The address is 1936 Quivira Way, San diego 92106. You're first visit is free! You can also check out the website at www.SDOutbackREIN.com

It's a great way to network and learn!

Hi @Stacie Lynn , I have personally been to quite a few different real estate meetups around San Diego and I have yet to return to any of them a second time.  Most are "beginners" or "interested" in real estate.  There is nothing wrong with that if people are trying to connect with other like minded individuals.  I'm sure there are a few good ones out there for those that are a little more experienced, I sure as heck don't know about them.

Happy Investing!

@Stacie Lynn

I’m looking for a similar meetup in the Poway / Rancho Penasquitos area.

I’m a local accredited investor with seven figures in cash sitting in a money market account ready to invest. I have been selling San Diego condos I bought in 2009 and buying units in KS MO.

If you can’t find something let’s start one

As someone who is just learning and does not have skin in the game yet, I would like to volunteer, and provide any help in organizing a meetup if you guys are interested.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you