How To Learn Real Estate

5 Replies

Hey everyone! I am new to real estate. I was wondering where I could learn about the basics of real estate. I am a hands on kind of person and here to learn! I know absolutely nothing about it. Not sure where to start to learn cause I mean when I say I know nothing about it I mean absolutely zip. I been watching some youtube videos and listening to biggerpockets podcast but its like listening to a different language. I am hearing and seeing but not understand any of what I am learning, like none of it lol. I been looking for a mentor around my market here in san angelo tx but no luck so far. Like I said early I am a hands on learner. Part of my wavering learning disability I have. Anyway I am looking forward to figuring/learning all of this. Real Estate sounds like so much fun. I really believe I will draw a strong passion for this once it finally clicks for me. Btw it is nice to meet everyone. Hope we grow together and become good friends :)

@Mike Curry

Welcome to BP!  Do keep reading and participating in the forums.

You might also find a local, seasoned, successful real estate investor and see if s/he will allow to you to tag along and learn in exchange for offering some skill (accounting, carpentry, landscaping, etc) you can contribute ... or, general labour.

Keep educating yourself. A good start is The Book On Real Estate Investing by Brandon Turner. The best investment you can make it in yourself and the most efficient way is through self education. Also find a friend/ family member/ old couple at church that has a few rentals and let them know you are interested in learning.

You Learn by reading, reading, readings, and reading some more. You go to real estate clubs and live training. You meet people that are doing deals and talk with them. This takes time...as in years. It does not take years to buy your first property, but years to get the kind of traction where you can really make a living at it. 

I answered something similar to another person. Definitely read and engage in the forum. I found so much information and inspiration to take action. I'm already planning on actions to take to get a property. Don't give up and stay active on here. There's so much wealth of information from these experience investors. 

Hey this is great info. Thabks btw for that.I am currently reading rich dad poor dad. Amazing book. Really intrigued by this book, honestly have to say this is one if not the best book I have ever read up to this point. I will continue to educate myself. But hard for me to do that because of my learning disability. I will at some point have to do hands on work to get anywhere with this. I was thinking about finding a real estate agent in my area and ask them if I could shadow them when doing research on houses and doing deals so I can learn. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you