Failed Leadership is why California is on fire.

Failed Leadership is why California is on fire.

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes

California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

California is the richest state in the USA.

California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

___

___

Make it make sense.

5Reply
423 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y

@James Wise you're right about California's bad leadership.  But that's not why it's on fire.

Here is how I get my perspective:  I was a firefighter in CA for about a decade in my former life.  The house I'm sitting in right now is on a hill with 270 degree views and I can see about ten miles in each direction.  Nearly every house I can see from here burned to the ground in 2017, including the house that was on this very lot and almost every house on this street.  5,300 in total.  Thankfully, at that time I lived just a bit to the south and the winds blew the fire right by my house, missing by 3,000 feet.  I woke up that morning to a wall of fire as far as I could see.  

I drove to my office, everything around me was on fire including the landscaping and dumpsters in the parking lot--no firefighters around.  But the office itself didn't burn.

The fire had traveled ten miles in about 3 hours. You can't get mutual aid (with a several hour ETA) in time to stop it. The calvary arrives just in time to mop up.

I have a second home in Maui, and as I look out in one direction the entire town I used to see burned to the ground in 2023.  The wind blew that fire to our south, this time missing us by almost a mile.  This is becoming all too familiar, and yet I'm extraordinarily lucky that I suffered no direct fire loss in any of these.

In both of these fires, hydrants didn't work.  Firefighting resources were overwhelmed.  Winds were near or exceeding hurricane force.  The fire created it's own weather including "fire tornados".  

Part of the reasons hydrants didn't work was some water storage was already depleted for maintenance.  Power was shut off to prevent it from starting more fire (or was killed by the fire) and this power is what drives the municipal water pumps.  Homes burned, leaving their water service lines severed and freely flowing water onto the ground, depleting the pressure.  It's just chaos.

Suggestions above include:

To not rebuild and convert the land over to parkland.  How do you buy out over 5,000 homeowners?  Infeasible.

To build out of concrete block.  Ok, but from my house I can see what used to be a K-mart about a mile away.  It was made out of concrete block and it burned to the ground, along with a lot of other concrete and brick structures.  My next door neighbor built their house out of poured in place concrete.  Will it help?  Maybe.  The building codes are pretty strict.  Ours is built with stucco siding, concrete tile roof, tempered windows, self-closing soffit and crawl space vents (they melt when exposed to heat).  A lot of structures go up because the intense radiant heat from the wildfire ignites contents inside the home through the windows, or the embers enter the attics and crawl spaces through the vents--so just building from block won't be a cure.  

Build with steel.  These fires are so hot even the steel structures melted and burned.  The winds were so strong and fire so hot there were cars turned upside down in driveways, and then melted.

The bottom line is that 100 mph winds combined with dry grass and just about any ignition source is unstoppable once it gets going.  If the fire can be knocked down in its infancy you can save entire towns.  And that's what usually happens--there are hundreds of fires no one hears about.  But the ones that aren't stopped right away and get a head on them, when close to an urban area, with wind like this, will cause extreme devastation.  No amount of water will stop it.

And don't even get me started on insurance.  My $7,500 policy was "non-renewed" and I only got two quotes:  $42K and $92K.  Then by a stroke of luck I found another quote for $13K.  If that carrier doesn't stay afloat it's pretty dismal.

See this reply in the discussion

176 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 

    DEI policies? Immigration policies? I think your tin foil hat is on too tight. The firefighters are capable. They are simply overwhelmed. 

    The only stupid government policy was letting people build in difficult to defend areas right up against tinderbox natural settings. Even not allowing that development might not have helped, given how intense and fast the fire is.
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Los Angeles LA 🔥🧯💔
    Our hearts and prayers go to everyone impacted by the Los Angeles wide fires 🙏
    You will overcome this adversity and disaster 🙏

    Let's not point fingers but pray for peace.

    Thank you all.

  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    c

    OMG it is not arsonists, maybe some of the fires were but I'm right here in the burn scar with my AK. it was wildfires!
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @J Womack:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

    California is the richest state in the USA.

    California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

    ___

    ___

    Make it make sense.

    As someone who grew up in California, this tells me two things:

    1) you don’t know what you are talking about and are very comfortable with your ignorance;

    2) you won’t even take two minutes to find facts.

    If the hydrant system relies on electric pumps and in some areas there’s no power, then there is no water. If winds are 100 mph then you lose air support while embers gain massive trajectory. The state has had perpetual drought since I was a kid.

    I know you won’t do it, but read the UNFCCC exec summary from the Kyoto Protocol written in the late 90s and specifically hone in on forecasts related to water scarcity and desertification. The term ‘climate change” is so politicized in the U.S. that people ignore decades of warnings. From flooding in the Midwest to bomb cyclones on the East Coast, drought in California, the weakened Gulf Stream winds…. all were suggested as risks years ago.

    i can’t remember 100 mph Santa Ana wind speeds in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. But that’s what is making embers fly across neighborhoods today.

    Water is an issue nationwide. Florida and Georgia have been locked in court cases since Bush II; there are disputes over water rights from the Colorado River where agreements on utilization of flow as measured in acre-feet were made in 1800s and are no longer sustainable. Is there room to reprice water so it’s rational such that the heaviest users pay the highest rates vs today where the lightest users do, particularly in areas like CA? Yes is the answer. That said, water scarcity is not why my home state and favorite region look apocalyptic right now.



  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    Los Angeles LA 🔥🧯💔
    Our hearts and prayers go to everyone impacted by the Los Angeles wide fires 🙏
    You will overcome this adversity and disaster 🙏

    Let's not point fingers but pray for peace.

    Thank you all.

    This brother!!!


  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    c

    OMG it is not arsonists, maybe some of the fires were but I'm right here in the burn scar with my AK. it was wildfires!
    Right, but perhaps what started the wildfires was people lighting them. Most wildfires are started by people. Lightning/ natural causes has been ruled out. 
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @J Womack:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

    California is the richest state in the USA.

    California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

    ___

    ___

    Make it make sense.

    As someone who grew up in California, this tells me two things:

    1) you don’t know what you are talking about and are very comfortable with your ignorance;

    2) you won’t even take two minutes to find facts.

    If the hydrant system relies on electric pumps and in some areas there’s no power, then there is no water. If winds are 100 mph then you lose air support while embers gain massive trajectory. The state has had perpetual drought since I was a kid.

    I know you won’t do it, but read the UNFCCC exec summary from the Kyoto Protocol written in the late 90s and specifically hone in on forecasts related to water scarcity and desertification. The term ‘climate change” is so politicized in the U.S. that people ignore decades of warnings. From flooding in the Midwest to bomb cyclones on the East Coast, drought in California, the weakened Gulf Stream winds…. all were suggested as risks years ago.

    i can’t remember 100 mph Santa Ana wind speeds in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. But that’s what is making embers fly across neighborhoods today.

    Water is an issue nationwide. Florida and Georgia have been locked in court cases since Bush II; there are disputes over water rights from the Colorado River where agreements on utilization of flow as measured in acre-feet were made in 1800s and are no longer sustainable. Is there room to reprice water so it’s rational such that the heaviest users pay the highest rates vs today where the lightest users do, particularly in areas like CA? Yes is the answer. That said, water scarcity is not why my home state and favorite region look apocalyptic right now.




    OMG, I take back everything I said, meet me in the streets little man.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @J Womack:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

    California is the richest state in the USA.

    California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

    ___

    ___

    Make it make sense.

    As someone who grew up in California, this tells me two things:

    1) you don’t know what you are talking about and are very comfortable with your ignorance;

    2) you won’t even take two minutes to find facts.

    If the hydrant system relies on electric pumps and in some areas there’s no power, then there is no water. If winds are 100 mph then you lose air support while embers gain massive trajectory. The state has had perpetual drought since I was a kid.

    I know you won’t do it, but read the UNFCCC exec summary from the Kyoto Protocol written in the late 90s and specifically hone in on forecasts related to water scarcity and desertification. The term ‘climate change” is so politicized in the U.S. that people ignore decades of warnings. From flooding in the Midwest to bomb cyclones on the East Coast, drought in California, the weakened Gulf Stream winds…. all were suggested as risks years ago.

    i can’t remember 100 mph Santa Ana wind speeds in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. But that’s what is making embers fly across neighborhoods today.

    Water is an issue nationwide. Florida and Georgia have been locked in court cases since Bush II; there are disputes over water rights from the Colorado River where agreements on utilization of flow as measured in acre-feet were made in 1800s and are no longer sustainable. Is there room to reprice water so it’s rational such that the heaviest users pay the highest rates vs today where the lightest users do, particularly in areas like CA? Yes is the answer. That said, water scarcity is not why my home state and favorite region look apocalyptic right now.




    OMG, I take back everything I said, meet me in the streets little man.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    Los Angeles LA 🔥🧯💔
    Our hearts and prayers go to everyone impacted by the Los Angeles wide fires 🙏
    You will overcome this adversity and disaster 🙏

    Let's not point fingers but pray for peace.

    Thank you all.

    This brother!!!



     Call me crazy, but I feel like the $100 million that was cut from the fire prevention budget would be a lot more helpful to the fire victims than hearts and prayers.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.


    Actually out here in the west with our homeless situations that are out of control in certain areas they cause all sorts of fires. VERY common.. One fire they had lit under and under pass and weakened it and it failed :)  Also they burn up their RVs and campers pretty often then the basic tent fire... I am just guessing of course but I think down lines is a real possibility with those wind speeds..
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.


    Actually out here in the west with our homeless situations that are out of control in certain areas they cause all sorts of fires. VERY common.. One fire they had lit under and under pass and weakened it and it failed :)  Also they burn up their RVs and campers pretty often then the basic tent fire... I am just guessing of course but I think down lines is a real possibility with those wind speeds..

     From what I saw online, there is a company that monitors surges in the power lines and on a typical day they may get 1-5 surges but once they started with these high winds that number went over 200. Allegedly there is video evidence of the palisades fire starting due to a power line issue but the person who shot the video I guess will not release it to media.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Clark:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Jay Hinrichs 

    I believe Biden said the federal govt is going to pick up the bill for all the cleanup.

    from a lot of reports I read, most of the private insurance companies got out last year and state insurance is where many were insured. I believe once that is exhausted the private ones pick up the tab but they noted it will get passed on to consumers.

    where I see the issues are if this is now a one in every 5 or 10 or even 20 year event and it's a $1M home (cost to build not total value with land)  then the insurance for these areas is not sustainable.  You could see insurance policies in the six figures.

    No, Biden said nothing about clean up costs I do believe. He said the federal government would pay fire fighting costs.

    i think the state and local governments should use eminent domain and take the land, rezone it for condos and multi-family, install mass transit and better transportation systems and turn difficult to defend areas into parks. The justification for eminent domain would be the cost of defending the current set up, health costs and environmental cleanup costs. 

    There is now the proverbial blank slate for redevelopment. The governments should seize the opportunity.

    keep in mind all the fuel is now gone.. so wild fire will not be an issue going forward as long as folks do more of a desert style landscaping and dont plant things that burn like Eucalyptus as one poster mentioned those things go up like a roman candle at 4th of July. There is no question that fires in these areas are caused by man developing in what was vacant areas where even if there was a fire ( which there has been over the centuries) But these were not in the thought process's in the 1900 until the 60s before CA recorded the subdivision map act  into law.. you just platted and recorded Just look out in the high Deseret there are 1 mil platted lots with virtually no homes but nothing to burn.. One would be amazed at how many cities were platted between 1900 and 1940 in CA then the slow build out started..
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.


    I'm going back to sleep in the burn scar. You're being an *** right now, if you want to be a good person I know families that lost everything...
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    @Dan H. I assume you mean the ONE by you is a “natural” wildfire? NOBODY would say they were all natural wildfires after so many people have been arrested for arson this week. How would your eucalyptus know who started the fire?  Wildfires by their very definition can be started by human activity. Aren’t the eucalyptus tress at least partially to blame for the fires because they are so combustible? Should they be outlawed?

    IF, they are supposed to cut the power when there’s a fire then they have to buy a bunch of Tesla’s mega pack batteries to power the water pumps. They are saying there is no water because there’s no power. You can say the water wouldn’t have stopped the fire but I also assume you wouldn’t say all firefighters should stop spraying  water and go home. So there’s some need for the water. 

    I don’t know what your beef is. Obviously some people started some of the fires. Obviously some of the problems fighting the fire are cause by poor land management and predation. I’m certainly not saying it all is but you seem to think none of it is? If it’s all natural and not preventable and people expect to be able to buy insurance. The insurance is going to have to cost enough to rebuild every 10 years. Otherwise you’re saying you expect other people to subsidize bad choices over and over again. I’m just asking for a free market where things cost what they should cost and the consequences fall of the choice makers. Anyone that rebuilds after this fire knows the choice they are making. It doesn’t mean I don’t feel bad for those going through this, especially if they didn’t know better. 

    But why are people spending so much energy defending bad government policies? This is the kind of thing the press use to investigate  what bad choices were made, who is to blame? There will be consequences, heads will roll.  Now those in charge face no consequences and nobody even asks.

    Anyway. That’s all I’ve got. 

  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

    California is the richest state in the USA.

    California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

    ___

    ___

    Make it make sense.


    You seem like the type of person who feels untouchable, you don't get to **** on my people and walk away. Good luck bro!

    And this.....
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @J Womack:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    California is on fire and they don't have enough water to stop it. 

    California is the richest state in the USA.

    California has 3,427 miles of Coastline.

    ___

    ___

    Make it make sense.

    As someone who grew up in California, this tells me two things:

    1) you don’t know what you are talking about and are very comfortable with your ignorance;

    2) you won’t even take two minutes to find facts.

    If the hydrant system relies on electric pumps and in some areas there’s no power, then there is no water. If winds are 100 mph then you lose air support while embers gain massive trajectory. The state has had perpetual drought since I was a kid.

    I know you won’t do it, but read the UNFCCC exec summary from the Kyoto Protocol written in the late 90s and specifically hone in on forecasts related to water scarcity and desertification. The term ‘climate change” is so politicized in the U.S. that people ignore decades of warnings. From flooding in the Midwest to bomb cyclones on the East Coast, drought in California, the weakened Gulf Stream winds…. all were suggested as risks years ago.

    i can’t remember 100 mph Santa Ana wind speeds in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s. But that’s what is making embers fly across neighborhoods today.

    Water is an issue nationwide. Florida and Georgia have been locked in court cases since Bush II; there are disputes over water rights from the Colorado River where agreements on utilization of flow as measured in acre-feet were made in 1800s and are no longer sustainable. Is there room to reprice water so it’s rational such that the heaviest users pay the highest rates vs today where the lightest users do, particularly in areas like CA? Yes is the answer. That said, water scarcity is not why my home state and favorite region look apocalyptic right now.




    OMG, I take back everything I said, meet me in the streets little man.

    And this....
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Wale Lawal:

    Los Angeles LA 🔥🧯💔
    Our hearts and prayers go to everyone impacted by the Los Angeles wide fires 🙏
    You will overcome this adversity and disaster 🙏

    Let's not point fingers but pray for peace.

    Thank you all.

    This brother!!!



     Call me crazy, but I feel like the $100 million that was cut from the fire prevention budget would be a lot more helpful to the fire victims than hearts and prayers.


    Yeah, that would sure help right now, if you really want to get the bottom of it the city should have cut power that afternoon. Advocate for that. I packed my bags when I saw 15 electrical transformers explode. Home as of last night, I had the mindfulness to turn off my gas feed as I fled, but the stem inside the valve broke! So i smacked my earthquake valve 3 time with the tool, it worked!
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    @Dan H. I assume you mean the ONE by you is a “natural” wildfire? NOBODY would say they were all natural wildfires after so many people have been arrested for arson this week. How would your eucalyptus know who started the fire?  Wildfires by their very definition can be started by human activity. Aren’t the eucalyptus tress at least partially to blame for the fires because they are so combustible? Should they be outlawed?

    IF, they are supposed to cut the power when there’s a fire then they have to buy a bunch of Tesla’s mega pack batteries to power the water pumps. They are saying there is no water because there’s no power. You can say the water wouldn’t have stopped the fire but I also assume you wouldn’t say all firefighters should stop spraying  water and go home. So there’s some need for the water. 

    I don’t know what your beef is. Obviously some people started some of the fires. Obviously some of the problems fighting the fire are cause by poor land management and predation. I’m certainly not saying it all is but you seem to think none of it is? If it’s all natural and not preventable and people expect to be able to buy insurance. The insurance is going to have to cost enough to rebuild every 10 years. Otherwise you’re saying you expect other people to subsidize bad choices over and over again. I’m just asking for a free market where things cost what they should cost and the consequences fall of the choice makers. Anyone that rebuilds after this fire knows the choice they are making. It doesn’t mean I don’t feel bad for those going through this, especially if they didn’t know better. 

    But why are people spending so much energy defending bad government policies? This is the kind of thing the press use to investigate  what bad choices were made, who is to blame? There will be consequences, heads will roll.  Now those in charge face no consequences and nobody even asks.

    Anyway. That’s all I’ve got. 


    Dude STFU, the wind was absurd, you weren't here, a lit cigarette would have burnt down the Eiffel Tower that night.
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.


    Actually out here in the west with our homeless situations that are out of control in certain areas they cause all sorts of fires. VERY common.. One fire they had lit under and under pass and weakened it and it failed :)  Also they burn up their RVs and campers pretty often then the basic tent fire... I am just guessing of course but I think down lines is a real possibility with those wind speeds..

     From what I saw online, there is a company that monitors surges in the power lines and on a typical day they may get 1-5 surges but once they started with these high winds that number went over 200. Allegedly there is video evidence of the palisades fire starting due to a power line issue but the person who shot the video I guess will not release it to media.


    I read about this as I was fleeing. This is the most important comment in all of this. We need this company to monitor the grid and let the Gov know when to shut it all down!
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

     They say that about 90% of wildfires are man made. Obviously not all Arson, but makes sense. Downed Power Lines would fall into that man made category. I would assume the % of man made fires caused by Arson is pretty darn low though.


    Actually out here in the west with our homeless situations that are out of control in certain areas they cause all sorts of fires. VERY common.. One fire they had lit under and under pass and weakened it and it failed :)  Also they burn up their RVs and campers pretty often then the basic tent fire... I am just guessing of course but I think down lines is a real possibility with those wind speeds..

     From what I saw online, there is a company that monitors surges in the power lines and on a typical day they may get 1-5 surges but once they started with these high winds that number went over 200. Allegedly there is video evidence of the palisades fire starting due to a power line issue but the person who shot the video I guess will not release it to media.


    This^^^^^^^^^
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 
    I think PG&E actually filed bankruptcy from that. Our utility has been cutting power every time there is a red flag fire danger her now because of that, and they are also rapidly replacing old poles and requiring new lines to be buried etc. to avoid getting sued like PG&E did. I’m sure they are investigating power lines as a potential cause of the fires happening now. They’ve also arrested several suspected arsonists already and with how many fires started around the same time, many people are saying it could have been arsonists. Thankfully the lines in my neighborhood were put underground when they built our hood. We rarely lose power and less chance of catching on fire, especially considering we are close to open space/ high plains grassy meadows that are prime fire habitat. Power lines are the suspected cause of the Marshal Fire that we had here too. It’s just tricky to prove because even if evidence of melted lines is found, it’s hard to say whether or not the lines melted after the fire already started, or whether they actually started it. 
  • Developer · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    1y
    There should be, I watched from my hill in Eagle Rock as the wind ripped through, the electricity in the San Rafael Hills was on all night asking for a fire they should have shut it off! Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    What started the fires?  Negligent forest management, drug addicts, or illegals?  DEI policies along with environmental, immigration policies is not sustainable for a non 3rd world country (my guess that is the point).  I read an article I thought articulated this very well, we are seeing the collapse of a very complex system and this the fruit. 


     Or it could be an arsonist/ arsonists. 


    In the northern ca fires a few years back it was downed power lines.. and PGE got massive fines for that.. Now anytime in Northern CA when winds get past a certain speed there is rolling blackouts.. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.