Become an Agent? Does it help when purchasing properties?

7 Replies

Hey Gang, Thinking if taking my PA real estate test to become an agent. Thoughts on how this may help when purchasing properties or reasons it may work against me. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Zach

@Zach Shatto Being an agent gives you MLS access so your going to be able to see and put in offers on properties quicker and as frequent as you wish. However it does take away your ability to direct mail and cold call people. So it depends on what exactly your trying to do.

I was without a license for so many years and until I got mine, it has really helped especially when it comes time to analyzing real estate investment properties. You can take control of the comps and see the back history of the property. If anything it'll take you to the level you want to go.

@Zach Shatto the main advantage is it give you access to the MLS so you can run comparable sales and have ALL the sales details and pictures.

Another advantage is you can sometimes get a commission or at lease save a commission on your own purchases and sales.

The main disadvantages are cost to maintain your license, you are held to a higher standard, and the agent world does not like creative deals. You may feel like you are being constrained in what you do.

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Zach Shatto the main advantage is it give you access to the MLS so you can run comparable sales and have ALL the sales details and pictures.

Another advantage is you can sometimes get a commission or at lease save a commission on your own purchases and sales.

The main disadvantages are cost to maintain your license, you are held to a higher standard, and the agent world does not like creative deals. You may feel like you are being constrained in what you do.

I am not sure the cost of the license is a barrier to anyone doing any real business sure is cheaper than what wholesalers spend on their marketing.. 

and me being an agent I am about as creative as anyone on the real estate boards.. I mean i am sitting in the airport lounge in Portland and i am doing deals in Baltimore  LOL... just pullin your leg but not really.

I think getting in with high producing agents is a huge benefit for folks.. I cant think of being without it..   and the higher standard is simply having ethics which i am sure we all strive to have..

Yes, if you are okay with the cost, and  actually know that you will be buying or selling, you should get it.

It is very helpful *IF* you know what you're doing. Or, at least take the time to get educated if you don't. You can have a room full of tools but if you don't know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver, well, you sure aren't going to build or fix anything.

What I mean by this is how to properly analyze comps, navigate the paperwork, etc. Also, understanding how the world of agents works - meaning how to interact with them, how the business is conducted/handled, all the rules/regulations, etc. If you are going to get a professional designation, you have to act the part, as you will be held to a higher standard.

Not speaking to you personally here since I don't know your level of expertise, etc. This is just generic advice.