Market Rents in 92102 Area Code

8 Replies | San Diego, California

Please message me if you're familiar with market rents in the 92102 area code. I've already researched rents on Craigslist, Rentometer and the MLS, just want to connect with a local investor. Thanks in advance!

Casey,

I currently own a MFH in the 92102 area and am pretty familiar with market rents. I would be curious to see what your plans are, I think the Logan Heights area will be the path of progress in the future. 

Hi @Christopher Gallardo , I agree since the rising housing market is pushing people more inland. I feel there's more runway to raise rents and property value through rehabbing properties in this pocket of San Diego. I'm curious what investors see for market rents in the area. I know rental amounts vary depending on property condition. Thanks for commenting. 

Logan Heights is one of the roughest neighborhoods in San Diego, maybe the roughest. 

It may or may not improve but until it improves you are purchasing in one of the lowest class areas in San Diego.   Be prepared for tenants of that class until the area improves.  

I would want a very good rent to value ratio to consider that area and I would only consider it because I used to live not too far from Logan Heights.  If I only lived in middle class and above areas, I would not consider it.  

Good luck.  You may need it.  

What part of 92102 are you looking at specifically? Golden Hill & South Park are within that zip code. The rents vary drastically depending on the specific pocket. That said I am very familiar with rents throughout the zip code. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. 

@Dan Heuschele I think you are over selling how bad Logan Heights is. I currently live in the area and feel perfectly comfortable living here.

Logan Heights carries a bad name because of how it use to be, but it has come a long way. Many of the families living here are honest hard working people, it will take some time and money for it to come around completely but I have faith it will happen. I won't deny that its not as nice as areas like Southpark and Golden Hill that are within the 92102 area code, but we enjoy living here.

Originally posted by @Christopher Gallardo :

@Dan Heuschele I think you are over selling how bad Logan Heights is. I currently live in the area and feel perfectly comfortable living here.

Logan Heights carries a bad name because of how it use to be, but it has come a long way. Many of the families living here are honest hard working people, it will take some time and money for it to come around completely but I have faith it will happen. I won't deny that its not as nice as areas like Southpark and Golden Hill that are within the 92102 area code, but we enjoy living here.

So what areas would you classify as rougher?   San Diego is not LA, Baltimore, Detroit, Philadelphia.  Our roughest areas are not nearly as rough as many other cites roughest areas.   But for San Diego I think Logan Heights is in the running for roughest area but not nearly as rough as it was 30 years ago.   Where I lived in Encanto, 30 years ago most homes did not have a car.  Now they all have cars but the problem is many do not drive 😀.  A sign of a poor area used to be lack of cars.  Now it is a lot of cars that are not operating (often on the yard).  

My view: Logan Height, encanto, Skyline are currently the worse but I admit to not going to those areas regularly or often to see any recent changes.   A lot of the other historically bad areas have been regentified.  Gas lamp and Petco Park helped the areas closest to them.  

@Dan Heuschele I think we are on the same page that even the rough parts of San Diego are mild compared to some of the larger cities, I just don't want people thinking Logan Heights is anything like some of those areas you mentioned.

I feel pretty optimistic about the potential in the area, you should check out the San Diego City revitalization plan for Southeast San Diego if you want to see what might be in store for some of these areas. 

I think it really depends on how you define Logan Heights. There are several sub-communities just like City Heights. In my opinion, anything west of the 15 is definitely in the path or progress. Grant Hill, Sherman Heights, etc. Freeways in San Diego can have huge power in defining neighbors. Once you ross one values/rents can shift dramatically. Lets take for example Normal Heights west of the 15 compared to Kensington East of the 15. The only difference is a freeway but the pricing is very different. The same goes for Logan Heights. Encanto & Skyline are rough. Unfortunately, there isn't enough investor or owner occupied money being poured into parts of these sub-communities so they continue to remain stagnant in terms of growth.  Growing up in San Diego and moving to South Park as a child before it gentrified I have spent lots of time in Logan Heights at different points in its progression. I still would not buy east of the 15. That said, although I think it's one of the hottest parts of San Diego, I still would be wary as a single woman living in parts of Sherman/Grant Hill/Bario.