Do you look at their profile before considering their opinion?

Do you look at their profile before considering their opinion?

Shiloh LundahlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

There are so many people who respond to posts here on BiggerPockets and so many verying opinions. How do you determine for yourself who to listen to? 

Do you do what most people do and give credit to those who agree with you and discredit those who do not? Do you take everything that people say as valid opinions? Do you do what I do and look at their profile to see how many deals they have done before you determine whether or not to consider their opinion? If I look at someone’s profile and there is nothing on it that tells me about this person then I don’t tend to take into consideration their opinions because I have no idea about the person or their level of knowledge or experience.

How do you determine what opinions to learn from or adopt and which to discard as you read through the forums?

15Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
8y

I mostly just consider how thoughtfully it's written and whether it makes sense.  If they present a good argument, then that's usually good enough for me.  Besides, it's an opinion, so there may not even be a right or wrong answer and if there is, I probably won't find out until after I act on the one I chose.  lol

See this reply in the discussion

81 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Post count/vote count is huge. Kind of shows if the community as a whole values their opinion or not. 

    Secondly I'd check their references. ESPECIALLY for vendors. 

    One of my pet peeves is the guys who start out trying to sell as service on something they haven't perfected. Pretty easy to weed these guys out. 

    When in doubt... Ask about their experience in a polite way.  

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    8y

    When it comes to real estate, the good thing about BP is you can find everything on it. The bad thing about BP is you can find everything on it. But don't take my word for it, please check my profile first ...

  • O Fallon, MO · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 21 votes
    8y
    With respect to all the answers here, and most bring up very valid points, personally I haven't thought of that. The most important thing to me, like a few have said, is tone or how the reply is presented. I am brand new to BiggerPockets and real estate investing (trying to get my first deal now) so I don't have the experience to speak from. I'm doing all I can by consuming as much info to make the right decisions. I don't feel 100% comfortable trying to give advice per se, but if I feel I can contribute an answer of worth I'll likely cite someone more experienced or intelligent than myself. In this case, we're talking pure opinion. That all said, tone is most important to me because I find the people with the most information to give do so in a respectful manner. High quality information at that. Most in this community signed up for the reason it was created: to learn in an environment conducive to learning. Those are the ones I want to engage with, not the ones that refuse to take a different perspective and in a respectful way.
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 66 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Casmon:

    Generally, I focus on the content of someone's post, but gauge the responses from others as well. The more you interact, the more you get to know people. However, it's still an Internet forum, so you are responsible for your actions and decisions.

    A profile picture and searchable name is important to me though for a basic level of connection and "google" validation.

     Interesting that you seek "google" validation" Google can be and is commonly "spoofed". 

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Bill T. If you are exploring working with someone that you only know through an Internet forum, it's a common practice to start with some desktop research and see what pops up in a Google search. There are a lot of people on these forums searching for partners, investment opportunities, mentors/coaches, etc and it's important for them to gather information before they engage in those discussions. A Google search certainly isn't the end all, but if you're looking to connect offline, you may want to see a picture and have a real name.
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I look at content as well as the experience of the poster. If you have someone that has been involved most of their life, they generally have a lot of good advice. I have seen some people that I really enjoyed disappear from BP that were very smart. I may occasionally look at a profile but that is an after thought. I like to read a lot of posts where I don't have knowledge in that area to gain insight. I usually pay attention to any of the mods postings (even if they kill my post LOL). All in all, BP is the best RE website around and I have learned a tremendous amount. I have also been able to grow my business from the site as well. Profiles can be misleading...but also a good indicator of experience as well as their future vision. Most of the time when they call themselves "wholesaler" I tend to roll my eyes and move on:) That appears to mean "new", "inexperienced", and "no money" in most instances. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    I trust the opinion of those who offer sound information that may apply as advice without hubris. I am much more wary of those who feel they have all the answers or only theirs is the right answer
  • Justin BrownBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Allentown, PA · Member since 2017 · 343 posts · 156 votes
    8y
    Great discussion! It may have been said already but I think the vote function is under used. And that can really help vet a post. Also it’s tough to judge someone by how long they have been on BP or how many deals they have done. Someone may have been in real estate for a while and just stumbled on the site and could also be in an accessory role (accountant, title agent, etc) and not done any deals themselves but have excellent advice. At the end of the day it’s up to you to make the decision. And beyond BP you should be making local connections and support if your goals.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    Also  since I only use this site and my Cirrus owners and Pilots site I don't have a lot of context.. but there is a lot of similarities..  since Copa does not have a page that gives the OP background.. you have to rely on post counts and at the bottom of their page it will say what kind of airplane they own and fly.. if they own and fly a Jet well then you know they have done pretty well for themselves over the years compared to someone who is on the site and is a renter.. Now I have been both an owner and renter.. so I know my place on that site.. LOL.

    and things are much more intense especially when we talk about someone who just killed themselves in an accident. But on that site even though I have been flying 30 years and 1000 hours I feel like the rookie compared to many of those members that post.. I end up seeing them in flying magazines where they are writing articles etc.. But end of the day your part of the community and if you hit them politely off line the connections are well worth it. 

    So you see the same here on BP with those starting out having their opinions whether they are based in experience or just what they read its hard to decipher unless you read their profile.

    And the other major differences is that many on this site are here to do business plain and simple.. whereas on our pilots site its verboten in the main forums to talk any kind of business ..  Not that the owner of or vendor for some aviation product  does not post they do.. but its always something to do with aviation safety.. and not what you get on BP with some of the folks on this site that simply post the exact same things every time on the threads that involve their business and their desire to make money form BP posters to sell their products or services..

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I actually look at profile AFTER reading the content of the posting if I don't already know that person from previously good posts.

    HOWEVER, that being said, I'm a geek and the more numbers I get to back up an opinion, the more I am likely to vote.

    For instance, I myself try to posts with Spreadsheets and numbers to prove a specific case. A clear example is a fixed rate Mortgage that's being paid by your tenants. If your Mortgage is $360k and is fixed for 30 years, math tells me that if you take the $360k and divide it by 30 years, you get $12,000 a year or $1k per month. So if your tenants are paying that for you even if you are breaking even in cash flow, you are making money.

    The above is not necessarily an OPINION.... it's a mathematical fact but one where other members seem not to have encountered in other readings, so I use this forum to post stuff like that here.

    Now, if your profile doesn't have much, but you back up your opinion or statement with Mathematical facts and I can follow it, +1 for you!

    I also have to say that I'm tempted to vote for humor as well...... for instance, there was a poster named PICKA POCKETA....... NO WAY THAT COULD BE REAL! haha! As tempted as I was to vote just because of the name choice, I didn't!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I evaluate credibility dependant on the topic. I consider time in business, number of tenant years in business, number of units and specific field of expertise. The topic determines if it is investing, flipping or landlord experience I value. Number of posts may reflect length of time as member or amount of free time the member may have. I have a lot of free time.

    Not every investor has tenant experience and not every landlord knows what they are talking about regarding investing. 

    You must also consider how they operate their business and whether it fits your business plan. 

    My goal is creating good tenants through screening and strict management to maximising returns. For that reason I have zero tolerance for tenants that do not adhere strictly to their lease and pay full market rents. My definition of, and how to manage a good tenant, as opposed to a hobby landlords definition and management are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

    You must consider the specific business experience of who is posting.

    The reality is there is a small, limited number of topics posted. Most long standing members will post the same response to those topics repeatedly. 

  • Wholesaler · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 472 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    I am a newbie as well and here is my take. 

    Pay attention to votes, quality of posts and whether they answer or ask questions. You'll gradually see who is the real deal and where you should get expertise from. Posts don't mean so much to me anymore because I know I have a certain amount I do a day just to stay connected and ask questions. I try to help others that are even less experienced than I am where I can but in general am usually the one asking the questions and that is why my posts are growing quickly. I have gotten solid advice from people with less posts than I who are actually doing deals and they usually have many votes. 

    Post/vote ratio can tell you a lot and I think I've confirmed this myself because as I have grown more knowledgeable my ratio has gotten better. At the end of the day this site has saved me so much turmoil in just the time I've been on it.

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Ware:

    I try to never assume I’m right when giving answers and I treat others the same way. Even though you should all believe everything I say because I put the “J” in Jenius.

    I believe the J is silent. 

    @Shiloh Lundahl Love this post! I'll just be the first one to say that I pretty much always look at anybody's profile that answers my questions. Am I the only one? I just think it's really cool to see how different everybody's goals are, and what each person is doing differently with REI. My intention is never to see if they are qualified to answer my question or not...It's always pretty easy to assess the credibility of answers based on their content and sophistication.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    8y

    I use common sense when it comes to various topics on here, I hardly ever look at the profile. I find it may be some ego trip that is half-truth, but it might help some folks.

    I could care less if they have bad writing skills. Do they make A point does it make sense?

    Yes, my writing skills are weak but that has no bearing on what I have to offer to the public in relation to my buying, owning property.

    I find for my self once I do a deal I get a high like feeling, I like to read and write about it with like-minded people i.e. driven, go getters, etc.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 66 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Casmon:

    Bill T. If you are exploring working with someone that you only know through an Internet forum, it's a common practice to start with some desktop research and see what pops up in a Google search. There are a lot of people on these forums searching for partners, investment opportunities, mentors/coaches, etc and it's important for them to gather information before they engage in those discussions. A Google search certainly isn't the end all, but if you're looking to connect offline, you may want to see a picture and have a real name.

     To each his own. I believe the research that a lot of people post false information about themselves and even use "shutter stock" photos. As I say "It's on the Internet, so it must be true." ;-)  (That's a joke, by the way.)  

    Referrals are far more useful and reliable.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Not really sure profiles are a true measurement. If the individual is selling or buying, which seem to be most common, the profile is part of their pitch, may be somewhat inflated. On the other hand where someone has nothing to sell and are not looking to gain from others the profile may be useless.

    There is nothing to be derived from reading my profile.

    Mine is empty, false or misleading to protect rather than promote my business interests.

    Aside from the actual content of my posts there is no way to assess my opinions. Unfortunately I tend to rush, do not proof read very well and find spell check is not always the best. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    8y

    So does anyone automatically discount the opinion of a user who chooses not to include his full name?

    Another thought....a common bit of advice is not to put much stock in advice from someone who is less successful than you are. What if you come across someone who once had the same goals you did, but failed miserably? Wouldn't that person be able to offer some valuable insight (on what NOT to do)? Unfortunately, I suspect the biggest failures may not bother posting on this site at all. 

  • Earth · Member since 2017 · 297 posts · 187 votes
    8y

    I have bought/sold 57 deals so far, still expanding my portfolio.  My profile is empty for the reasons of privacy and protection.  

  • Investor · Middle River, MD · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 127 votes
    8y
    Doesn’t really matter. Posts here are just opinions and usually specific to where a person does business. Everything has to be verified and ideas have to be tested or tried or researched further.
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks to all who have commented on this thread so far. I really appreciate the comments. It is interesting to hear how others determine the information they find valuable. There are several comments here by people I highly respect on BiggerPockets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    It often surprises me to find out how many people have viewed my profile. I don't find the information in most profiles to be very useful, so I don't look at many. But then, I'm not here to drum up business, or make contacts, or find a mentor. I'm here to read and write about things that interest me.

    The writing style and content of a post have the most weight in my decision about taking a post seriously. Some members write posts that simply reek of the author's lack of intelligence or knowledge. Spelling, grammar, and the ability to communicate well in English are important. If you do not care enough about your post to proofread it, why should I read it at all?

    I encounter more than a few people online who are critical of my criteria, the majority of whom write posts that I do not take seriously.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    I go with a preponderance of evidence, just like Judge Judy :D 

    - Vote to post ratio

    - Rough number of votes

    - Content of the post

    - My familiarity with the value of the poster's content

    - Whether the poster raised points I hadn't thought of before

    - Whether the poster's advice seems rational and reasonable

    - The type and length of experience of the poster

    - How the poster is held by other posters I respect

    - Whether or not the poster is selling anything/looking for business opportunities

    - Other (as applicable)

    I usually only look at profiles of either colleague requests or of people who I have become interested/intrigued in their posts. Anyone can write a good profile, but it takes knowledge, skills, and good communication ability to continually write good posts. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · wyoming · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    Good post! 

    - Are they black and white in their thinking? If they are I'll tread with caution as Real Estate isn't a one size fits all approach
    -Do they have a photo? If not I instantly lose trust 
    -Do they have many posts and if they don't what type of quality person are they? Are they active, are they generous, are they educated, are they ignorant, arrogant etc. 
    -Can they use grammar correctly? Some exceptions from people with a track record or other qualities but it's not a great first impression 
    -If they have been on the site for a while how many posts do they have? I notice TONS of folks with 50 posts and they've been here years. To me that's indicative of someone who's here motivated purely for themselves and not someone to trust a lot
    -How many deals have they done?
     

  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    I judge a man by the quality of their content, not the color of their profile. Could be hype.
  • Rental Property Investor · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 27 votes
    8y
    I am new myself so honestly I have never noticed people's post count prior to reading this thread. I look for replies that have supporting facts and I try to piece together information from various people. If I still have additional questions, I use the search function to try to find more threads on the topic so I can formulate my own opinion.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.