Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Oakland Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eduardo Zepeda
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Buying a duplex in North Richmond CA. Thoughts?

Eduardo Zepeda
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Feb 17 2017, 15:41

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone with direct experience or knowledge of this area might be able to shed some light. I'm in contract to purchase a duplex in North Richmond, which is an unincorporated part of Contra Costa county. I'm buying as an investment and the reason I pursued this particular deal is because it's one of the only deals, if not the only deal, in the Bay Area where the numbers made sense in my target price range. I've been looking for a while now in other metros as well and I thought it would be advantageous to invest locally if I could rather than remotely. I'd also like to add that I grew up in the Bay Area and I live and work in San Francisco, but since I haven't spent a ton of time in the east bay, I'm not as intimately familiar with this community. Here's what I'm wondering. Firstly, I know Richmond, and in this case N. Richmond, has the reputation for being riddled with crime. The crime map on Trulia says the crime is low, but I'm almost sure this can't be accurate based on other sources I've found during my research. Some of these other sources, including news stories, other crime stats, etc., are a few years old or may not pertain specifically to this small area of N. Richmond but rather Richmond in general, so I'm struggling to find reliable information on just how dangerous (or not) this community is. Does anyone know just how high the crime rate is, or how I could reliably ascertain this info?

Secondly, the property itself is two 2/1's, with the property being on the smaller side at approx 1,370 sf, making each unit 685 sf. Per my research, 2/1's in Richmond rent for $1,600-1800. The agent of says confidently that each unit would rent for $1,800. When I ran my analysis, I used a conservative number of $1,650 to make sure the property could still cash flow as a rental. Do these rents seem realistic for the area considering its size?

Thirdly, how does the fact that it's an unincorporated area affect me as a property owner, if at all? 

Any insight on these matters would be very much appreciated!

Loading replies...