Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Ray Jhala
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Saint Charles, MO
Votes |
Retaining wall failure - Looking for creative solutions!

Ray Jhala
Pro Member
  • Saint Charles, MO
Posted May 15 2023, 15:34

Hello Everyone!

I've got a failing retaining wall and I'm looking for some suggestions on what I can do the remedy it! In its current state its a bit of a liability and safety hazard for tenants however I am wondering if there are some creative solutions aside from just tearing it all out and re-doing from scratch! As always thanks for any and all suggestions. 

Ray

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied May 15 2023, 16:10

Above is used concrete two layers over a concrete fill base. Level the ground, add an inch of gravel then play legos to

make them fit neatly. no mortar no pins but plant appropriate above- trailing rosemary, and perennials for you climate.

Where is this?

Some of the railroad ties appear to be rotten to the core. The pins that held them together are failed at second row. Was a low budget "wall." The railroad ties are toxic. Research gabions. I think you could get the material for a gabion wall that would be more attractive, not toxic, maybe create a garden area rather than grass that you have to mow. A gabion style wall allows drainage away from the structure. You need to patch the stucco anyways it's all cracked from water intrusion.

I would rent a mini backhoe AFTER I checked with gas and water to see where the lines are.

Used creosote ties will cost you $90 for this project, plus the pins, an inch of gravel, a drain line, the rental $390 for a day, heavy lifting and some hand digging. $1000 and three back breaking days. You and a friend who is strong.

Add two steps at the end away from your building or add a little cover for the trash or a bench place to sit or make it a useful area with some perennial bushes.  Vegetable raised bed above for tenants? 

Concrete is the cheapest solution. There are pre fab blocks like this

what is behind chain link fence? neighbor property line?

Or find Used concrete pieces from a demolition site for free just call it a free gym membership

stone wall

User Stats

Votes
Chris B.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied May 15 2023, 16:18

Caroline has some creative solutions.  I don't think you have an option but to take it out and redo it, hopefully with a better quality material.  It's a small wall and shouldn't cost a lot.

it looks, like you have some wiring issues on the home also that may be a safety hazard.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied May 15 2023, 18:27
Having worked with these type of walls before, remove and redo correctly is your best option.  You can slope the wall, tie it in properly and choose the material to use . . . it is not much in terms of length so it is an easy project (height and length)

User Stats

Votes
Ray Jhala
Pro Member
  • Saint Charles, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Saint Charles, MO
Replied May 15 2023, 19:32

@Caroline Gerardo Really appreciate the time you've taken to give me such a detailed response. A lot of great ideas. I will educate myself on those different solutions and get to work!

@Chris B. Hey Chris, thanks for your feedback. (I'll take a second look at those wires out back, I'm pretty sure most are old internet cables/phone lines but they need cleaned up nonetheless) Cheers!

@Andy Sabisch Hey Andy,  thanks for the reply, do you have a preferred material that you would recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied May 15 2023, 19:58
Aloha,

I agree it looks like at least some of the timbers are toast. For a small project like this, I would opt for something along these lines:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Ou...