Minneapolis, Minnesota Remodel

Minneapolis, Minnesota Remodel

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes

Hi All,

Here's my situation:  I'm currently under contract for my first property!  A duplex near uptown.  It needs some cosmetic updates, and I want to finish the attic and turn in into 2 more bedrooms.  

My question to you all is this:  What parts of any kind of work on the home can I legally do myself?  I am going to be living in it, but also renting the other side, so I know there are some differences between what you can do yourself if you are going to rent the property out.  

My current understanding is that I can do pretty much any cosmetic work myself, painting, flooring, etc., but I'm more looking for what I legally must hire a contractor to do.  I have several friends and family members that are very handy, (one of them is an apprentice electrician), so I'd prefer to do as much of the rehab as possible, that I can do legally.  For example, can I do minor electrical work like wiring a new light fixture, or basic plumbing, like installing a new vanity in a bathroom without hiring a licensed contractor?

Also, this is slightly off topic, but for those of you with rental properties near uptown, or more specifically, in the Whittier neighborhood of minneapolis, I'd love to hear what you are renting your places for, including square footage and number of beds/baths.  I've got current estimates in mind, but I'd like to check it with your numbers, if possible!

Thank you all in advance!  

1Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
9y

@Jordan Moorhead

Adding bedroom has nothing to do with zoning.  He's adding 2 more bedrooms to the 2nd unit.  I've added bedrooms in numerous places I own.  It's how you jump start the cash flow to make it really work for you.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, I think the attic probably will meet that threshold, but that is good to know!  Just out of curiosity though, do you have a source for that info you could point me to?  I've been reading a lot of minneapolis housing code, and haven't run across anything that says that.  I understand that each bedroom has to have at least 70sq ft with ceilings > 5ft, and at least 50% of that has to be > 7ft, but I haven't seen anything about the ceiling requirements of the attic as a whole.   I could definitely have missed it though! 

  • Investor · Excelsior, MN · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Eli Sunderland I do not have a source for that other than my notes from the inspector.  I went and looked over my notes and thats what I have written down from my meeting with him.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, gotcha.  Well, thanks for checking!  Well, thanks for all of your advice!  I'm looking forward to getting an inspector into the property so I can know for sure I can make the deal work!

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    9y

    Minneapolis is very particular about this sort of thing, from my experience. Whomever you use not only needs to be licensed, they have to be licensed in Minneapolis itself. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Bruce Runn yea I misread that!

  • Banker · Wayzata, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Brian Wagner any points of advice since you have done a number of rehabs in Minneapolis?

  • Lender · Wayzata, MN · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Eli Sunderland  

    A few questions for you.  Do you happen to know the property's zoning?  Before incurring the expense of adding additional bedrooms you may want to double check what the property allows for occupancy.  Many duplexes in Minneapolis are zoned R2-B.  In that case even if you have 5 bedrooms then legally you may only be allowed to have 3 unrelated people living in the space.  If you are renting to a family of 5 it wouldn't be an issue, but 5 unrelated roommates and then technically you would not be legal.  You can look up zoning along with other info such as prior permits pulled here:  

    http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/AddressPortalApp/

    Also here is great page about finishing attics in Minneapolis:

    http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/groups/public/...

    Last, it is much easier to keep the property a duplex than to build an additional unit in the attic. Converting a duplex to a triplex brings on more strict rules.   As for the stairs you may or may not be grandfathered in.  You may find that it sort of depends who you talk with at the city.  The safe bet would be to add a dormer and bring them up to code although if it is near the front or back exterior wall you may need to get a conditional use permit to add the dormer.  

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Alright, another question for you guys - 

    There's currently a door going outside that is under the deck, (you lift up some of the boards of the deck to access it), that goes into the basement/cellar area.  Because of this, water appears to have been leaking under the door and into the basement.  I am considering just filling this in, to remove any potential water problems in the future, but I thought I read somewhere that if a basement/cellar area is over a certain amount of square feet, it needs to have some sort of egress, either window or door.  By the way, this basement is not finished, and is strictly used to hold the hot water heater, boiler, and other stuff like that, as well as the washer and dryer for the bottom unit. 

    Thanks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Eli Sunderland Dumb question but do you have another access to the basement?  I presume you are talking about the basement access doors on an old house?

    Clearly if it was your only way down there you wouldn't want to take it out.  In any instance I don't see why you can't seal it off instead of remove it.

    Per previous recommendations talk to the city.  If you have the official coming out it is a quick question and Minneapolis is a little picky.  As Brian mentioned it is pretty common to get a different answer from different people at the city.  

    Lastly, many of us have rehabbed houses however none of us are builders.  Any construction advice on here is good but is trumped by what any inspector says even if they are incorrect.  

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @John Woodrich, ya there is access to the basement through the bottom unit, but another door that goes straight outside under the deck.  And thanks, I think I'll just wait til I hear hear from an inspector, and decide based on their advice.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    If I were you I would prefer an access separate from the downstairs unit.  It would help let you in for mechanical repairs without bothering the person in the first unit.  That assumes the door is locked at the top of the steps.  If the basement has a separate entrance and I lived on the main floor I would definitely want a solid lock to the basement!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I'm late to the game, but here is the rule.

    You will need to meet the new Minneapolis building code for attic spaces.

    http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/groups/public/...

    And to rebut the comment by Ryan Jones you could finish the space as a crawl space and not use it as a bedroom - I have done this with basements before and attics and have it approved every time.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Todd Dexheimer - Thanks, not sure if one of my previous posts said this, but the attic upstairs is finished already, the bedrooms are are framed and drywalled, there are outlets in each bedroom, along with a radiator in each bedroom as well.  It is obvious it has been lived in in the past, but for whatever reason, it isn't a part of the top unit currently.  The only thing I'm going to have to do is add a bigger window in each bedroom for egress and put in a "front door" at the bottom of the stairs that goes to the second floor and attic to combine the two floors into one unit.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Have you talked with the building official yet? Minneapolis housing inspections can be very nitpicky.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    And for the basement question. You can seal that door unless it allows the upper level tenants access to their electric panel.

  • Investor · Excelsior, MN · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 37 votes
    9y
    Todd Dexheimer you are correct that the space would be approved. However, he is asking about adding addition bedrooms. If you get the space "approved" for let's say common space and they find out he is using them as bedrooms, he might as well say goodbye to his rental license.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.