• Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Minneapolis, Minnesota Remodel

Eli Sunderland
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Apr 14 2017, 13:18

Hi All,

Here's my situation:  I'm currently under contract for my first property!  A duplex near uptown.  It needs some cosmetic updates, and I want to finish the attic and turn in into 2 more bedrooms.  

My question to you all is this:  What parts of any kind of work on the home can I legally do myself?  I am going to be living in it, but also renting the other side, so I know there are some differences between what you can do yourself if you are going to rent the property out.  

My current understanding is that I can do pretty much any cosmetic work myself, painting, flooring, etc., but I'm more looking for what I legally must hire a contractor to do.  I have several friends and family members that are very handy, (one of them is an apprentice electrician), so I'd prefer to do as much of the rehab as possible, that I can do legally.  For example, can I do minor electrical work like wiring a new light fixture, or basic plumbing, like installing a new vanity in a bathroom without hiring a licensed contractor?

Also, this is slightly off topic, but for those of you with rental properties near uptown, or more specifically, in the Whittier neighborhood of minneapolis, I'd love to hear what you are renting your places for, including square footage and number of beds/baths.  I've got current estimates in mind, but I'd like to check it with your numbers, if possible!

Thank you all in advance!  

Loading replies...