Real-estate finance courses online

15 Replies

I'm looking to further my education, granted you can get a ton of knowledge from reading the blogs here and their are tons of non fiction books. Have any of you found an online course or set of courses that is a must have to further your investing potential. I'm not worried about a degree to show my friends, I just want the knowledge.. I'm thinking ill need it to cover Excel, Basic Accounting, Macroeconomics, demographics & possibly investment specific market analysis. I can find these courses individually just curious of a better resource..

Thanks in advance

Matt, can you be more specific as to your areas of interest? For example, buy & hold, investing in resorts, ag land, notes, where are you headed?

If anyone is ever going to think of themselves as being in real estate, seriously, the first thing is to get an education in RE, not the guru or investor strategies, but the real thing.

Business law

Personal finance

Business finance

Accounting

Micro, not so much macro economics

Principles of Insurance

Money and Banking

Marketing (Conventional studies)

English Composition

Speech, Public Speaking

Math

Psychology Sociology

These are all directly related to RE investing. You can skip some of these depending on your current education and experience, but not really all of them.

But it all starts, either getting formal training first and then RE or RE and then formalized training for a good foundation in business.

So, what area of RE are you interested in? :)

@BILL GULLEY

Thanks for the info, I'm primarily interested in buy and hold from single family homes up to 8units , possibly an occasional fix & flip, for the experience. In the next 5-7 yrs. I plan to transition into 50+unit multifamily properties.. I'm not interested in the Guru approach, Looking to build a solid foundation while learning thru trial & error in the field..

@Matt Laird I found a lot of benefit from The Complete Guide to Real Estate Finance for Investors by Steve Burges. I am not sure, if this is exactly what you wanted, but it sure does provide value.

You're a wise man!

If you can take a real estate agent's sample test and get over 90%, excepting out questions about the real estate commission that you'll never come in contact with, you have the basics down, what you don't know off the top of your head you'll know how to look it up.

With the with a goal of multi units, I'll add to that basic core education.

Managerial Accounting

Cost Accounting

Statistics 101/102

Entrepreneurship

Be familiar with the HUD programs and requirements

Read up on applicable areas of BOCA requirements

American Institute of Appraisers site, they have a forum discussion

Read law reviews, US Law, Justia law, Harvard Law, etc. have good discussions and reviews that can be searched in topics, tons of good information on the net from trusted sites.

Good luck!

You can also take online courses for business and finance for FREE.

On websites like

https://www.coursera.org

Originally posted by @John Van Uytven:
You can also take online courses for business and finance for FREE.

On websites like

https://www.coursera.org

WOW!!!!!!

John, fantastic! I had no idea such courses were available.

Welcome to BP, your first post and a vote, I'd give you more votes if it were possible. (LOL, batting 100%, you now have the highest ratio on BP!)

I went there, looked at a few classes. There are some very good schools there.

While I'm guessing these are audited courses without credit hours, students receive a certificate of completion.

Too bad, I searched RE and nothing popped up. The basics of RE are rather standardized, as you get into greater specifics it becomes unique to state law so I understand the limitations.

This changes everything! No excuses for new folks not getting a better education in related RE areas. I saw law, economics, accounting even a speech class (no idea how that works on a computer).

Thanks for the post! :)

@Bill Gulley

There are some other websites that have basically the same classes.

I plan to take the next Intro to Finance class.

People can get University credit, but that's not free. You have to pay for the credits. It's only available for some of the classes.

I assume the speech class would work on a similar platform/format as the guitar class I signed up for.

We had to submit recordings online, and then they were peer-reviewed.

Thanks for the compliments, I look froward to being a part of this fantastic community.

Good deal John! Audited courses usually cost you, those in-class courses, so it's great to have these free on-line.

Goes to show that a good, free education is possible.

Added that to my favorites to pass that along to others, thanks again. :)

I book marked it also.

Thanks!

MIT open courseware has real estate courses.

Breaking into Wall Street has some training on creating models in excel. Focused on banking but will help a lot even if it is overkill for what investors need.

This post has become amazingly useful! Thanks to everyone who has posted great responses.

I just want to put my plug in for finding yourself a great mentor who has already learned the lessons from the trial and error, because in many cases you won't need to make the same mistakes. Minus well make all new ones.

Nothing beats being able to call up your mentor and ask specific questions.

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :
Matt, can you be more specific as to your areas of interest? For example, buy & hold, investing in resorts, ag land, notes, where are you headed?
If anyone is ever going to think of themselves as being in real estate, seriously, the first thing is to get an education in RE, not the guru or investor strategies, but the real thing.

Business law

Personal finance

Business finance

Accounting

Micro, not so much macro economics

Principles of Insurance

Money and Banking

Marketing (Conventional studies)

English Composition

Speech, Public Speaking

Math

Psychology Sociology

These are all directly related to RE investing. You can skip some of these depending on your current education and experience, but not really all of them.

But it all starts, either getting formal training first and then RE or RE and then formalized training for a good foundation in business.

So, what area of RE are you interested in? :)

Bill Gulley

I couldn't agree more about recommending these fundamentals and building block educational components..

When I started 12 years ago I read and studied everything I could get my hands on, but I realize now that most of it was "guru" style education. I learned a lot, but it had so many holes in it - which I now know led to some of the bigger mistakes and bad deals I did along the way.

It's not talked about enough how important these fundamentals are. If you were to become a doctor, you'd study chemistry, biochemistry, physics, biology, etc before you ever got into the specific stuff.

So while still taking action, we should all aspire to be experts and professionals in our area of study, just like professionals in other areas. It doesn't happen over night.

But the best part, as this thread has shown, is that the most important, building block education is FREE online now. No excuses!

I'll also add to the free educational resources.

My favorite is Khan Academy. Outstanding 10-15 minute videos on many topics.

Here are links to areas @Bill Gulley suggested:

Core Finance/Money

Microeconomics

Macroeconomics (Inflation, Monetary policy, etc)

Disclosure: i work for apple … and consume lots of iTunes content ;-)

@Matt Laird glad i stumbled upon this tread.

iTunes University has a lot of free courses from top Universities.

Great information here.  I found another that has paid courses, but also some free information.  Great Excel spreadsheets too.

https://www.getrefm.com

Another one that has paid education is ULI Online Learning.  They have some REALLY good stuff too

happy learning.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.