Renatus and Scott Rowe and Chicago Business Development Group

40 Replies

I know, my bad...searched job ads online for a real estate apprentice and came across an ad that made it sound like an actual apprentice program. Dove into BiggerPockets and Googled Renatus and read lots of reviews.

It's hard to actually know if I found a review of someone who actually went through the education course or is just doing the marketing side with them (basically an MLM). I went through the Rich Dad sales pitch, so I'm not naive, but I know a few people who are in MLM type of companies and are doing well.

I want to be able to leave my job and focus on investing, but I need a good pay check, sooooo long story short...has anyone been an IMA with them or know information on it? It's basically selling their education courses and getting commission from that depending on which package is bought. Of course, you get a high incentive for signing up yourself with their courses, so they make it seem like the pay-out is way more lucrative than a true MLM.

I'm pretty certain I will get not so good responses, but thought, worth a shot to see what people think!

Yes, thank you. I read through a lot of those, but just wanted to see if anyone one here actually signed up with them as an IMA and get their feedback on experience.

Here's a thread:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/103523-renatus

In the forum thread above, 2 people have signed up with them.

If you're into MLM...then maybe it will work for you. If you want to make real money in real estate though...what you can do is as follows:

1. Listen to ALL the podcasts (unlike the gurus, those interviewed at the podcasts have NOTHING to sell).

2. Take notes and organize the knowledge into what I call a MindMap; and

3. Write down 10 ACTION STEPS to do for your real estate business

4. Implement these action steps

5. Learn and do more action steps as you go along

Hey thanks a lot! I guess if I take this much time investigating this...maybe there's a reason I'm hesitant. Appreciate the help Brianna and Wendell!

I have read the Comments and Your Concern, You really have not has anyone that is actually with the company to respond. The research on companies is goo however many people would take the time to say something negative than nice. I am a Renatus investor and Marketer. I have purchased the education and have learned more than any program I have ever bought. My husband and I have quit our jobs and currently do this full time. I could show you personal facebook pages of some of my team members and mentors that made this happen if you are really looking for proof. BTW Its no where near MLM if you really understand what MLM is. The IMA program is receiving a profit for selling a product it is not mandatory to sign other individuals up to get that same profit. Actually you dont make any money for just signing an IMA up.  Love to talk to you more. 

A Renatus Investor in the flesh.

Disclosure: I am an affiliate of this course, as well as a customer.

I am a student and an Indepent Marketing Affiliate with Renatus. I LOVE the Company and everything that I have gained from them. The education is top-notch, the mentorship is IMMENSE, and the income is astounding. This program is nothing like Rich Dad Poor Dad, our training is ongoing and neverending. We have meetings every single morning via Webinar, and several evenings a week as well. There are thousands of us across the country and we all work deals together. I can buy a property anywhere in the country at any time easily, by simply finding and contacting one of our teams in the area I wish to purchase in. 

There is no numeric price to put on the network and mentorship. I have made incredible friends, and become a part of a massive nationwide network. The training is bar-none, and all of the dozens of instructors are millionaires. It is one thing to watch videos and read books and blogs, it is another to have experienced millionaires walk you step-by-step through all of your deals.

I recently became an IMA with Renatus, and was really a lot more interested in the education, but figured the marketing part would be beneficial since Im very new to Real Estate,& marketing .But, I wanted to find out what other options were out there before spending money, I didn't need to spend. Im glad I found this website,and the posts on here re: renatus, were helpful. Thank you..

Kelly, Among other things I'd suggest you get connected with one or more of the REIA clubs in your area, I think you'll find numerous people through that source will to help a new person with out incurring any cost. If you need a suggestion reply to me, the organizer of one of the clubs I'm active in here in Vegas is from Phoenix and knows several of the clubs and active successful investors in that area. Good luck

Listen to Wendell on this before you start quitting your job and joining any of these kind of things. Not saying it doesn't work, but, depending on how bad you want "it" and your mindset, maybe what he mentioned might be all you need? worked for me..

Originally posted by @Wendell De Guzman :

Here's a thread:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/79/topics/103523-renatus

In the forum thread above, 2 people have signed up with them.

If you're into MLM...then maybe it will work for you. If you want to make real money in real estate though...what you can do is as follows:

1. Listen to ALL the podcasts (unlike the gurus, those interviewed at the podcasts have NOTHING to sell).

2. Take notes and organize the knowledge into what I call a MindMap; and

3. Write down 10 ACTION STEPS to do for your real estate business

4. Implement these action steps

5. Learn and do more action steps as you go along

Originally posted by @Christopher Leon :
Listen to Wendell on this before you start quitting your job and joining any of these kind of things. Not saying it doesn't work, but, depending on how bad you want "it" and your mindset, maybe what he mentioned might be all you need? worked for me..

Originally posted by @Wendell De Guzman:

Thanks for the mention @Christopher Leon. I got invited to join but decided not to do so.

Kelly, John Sheldon's answer is by far the best, and Wendall has good advice as well. If you want education go to college not a guru course. I am speaking from experience of going through a couple of courses. BP has great webinars/podcasts and everything is Free, and then there is the internet to research topics for learning. Think about how you want to invest. If you are in it to get rich, then stop now. You need to have a idea of what you want out of the new venture. In today's market most investors like myself are involved with buying rental properties and holding them. If they do not make you income every month they are not worth it. I know where you live and the opportunities in your area. Many of my friends were rehabbing properties and reselling them for a profit, but have now transitioned to the buy and hold strategy due to the market.  I will personally give you for free the one place you can buy properties at a good discount, and some of them are already rehabbed. You also need to learn about using your 401K or other retirement savings you have for your business, with a great CPA you will realize the tax advantages. Good luck to you, and I can appreciate your wanting to quit your job and do this full time. Start investing and keep that good job because having income is important until you are seasoned enough to become financially independent.

Thank you all for your advice and expertise on this matter!

Disclosure: Affiliate

stay away from Renatus and especially Scott Rowe. Bad news. They make it sound so easy but once you get in then they want you to buy the education. The only people making money are the ones that have large "teams" living off overrides. The education would be better if you find a local REIA group. You can learn just as much and have local people to team up with. Renatus wants you to sell the education. That's it. I got hooked into a self-directed Ira APS. And now it's in receivership and the owner is indicted and they want to take 10% out of everyone's account and I was only in it for less than a year. Stay away. Google APS receivership and you'll see.

Coach mentor is a joke. They mentor you how to sell the education not in real estate investing. 

Disclosure: I am Scott Rowe

Hey Deb.. You have always known where to find me... you have my cell phone... YET I have NOT gotten a call/text  from you for help on anything... so before condemning someone on a public forum I would give them a chance to fail... You haven't given me a chance to fail you... right? Let's turn your comments here into some 1-1 communication... You have had my cell phone... I get calls all day long from your colleagues... yet... nothing from you... call me... let's help you out...

@Kelly L. I did a similar thing on CS finding a job offering and just thought I would reply. I was actually looking at RE jobs posting to CS trying to hire a few handymen for a recent flip. I ended up talking to one of @Scott Rowe 's guys and it was the worst sales pitch I ever hear.d. I am in sales too!!! I actually declined the offering as I do not want to pay to get a job. All the guy did was tell me how much Scott made. I do not know Scott so I cannot speak about him or his morals but this guy out of Chicago working for Scott was terrible. He even insulted me a few times after I let him know I know longer wanted to join their "club". After talking to this guy it soured my opinions this group and I will make sure to jump in and spread the word about my experiences.

I am not a fan of any MLM type situation. I got into Real Estate to do REAL ESTATE. I leave the sales of my properties to Realtors (ya know salespeople). I have deals to be doing.

I have been approached on numerous occasions by RENATUS and prior to that NOUVEAU RICHE. I was turned off immediately each time. I also note, that in most of the threads discussing them, those that post to "defend" usually have less than 5 posts, most with just that one.

To another point, someone mentioned College Courses. For that I also disagree. I would rather learn from someone that is active in the industry every day. Someoen I can walk onto job site with, see they are doing actual deals, see how they deal with their tenants, contractors, etc. I come from a family of teachers, not knocking the profession, but as muh as I love my family, I wouldn't trust any of them to actually do work in the areas they teach in.  (YIKES!). 

Education is everywhere and is for free.  Experience comes with getting with the right people in your local market and some investors/realtors will help you for free.  You can always choose to work a reasonable arrangement where everyone can win.  Pick your market, find your deal, and get with a shark who will move you forward. 

Disclosure: I've taken the classes

I am NOT associated with Renatus, however, a friend of mine has allowed me access to their online courses.  Having had a real estate license in Guam and NY, I can tell you the education is exceptional, beyond any course that will teach you the basics for a license. 

Can you get the information online for free? Sure, but you only know what you already know and you're being educated by people who are only sharing what THEY know.  i.e. How do you know what it is you need to know if you don't know what you need to know????  

Just as a surgeon doesn't take one class focused on how to wield a scalpel, Renatus classes are taught by experts in a VARIETY of fields to best prepare a person for long term financial success in real estate investing.  These folks aren't teaching theory, they've personally, successfully executed and have performed, numerous times,  the information they are reciting.  

If you've got a friend who has acquired their wealth in real estate investing, then you are probably here asking about Renatus because you can't just take off from work to follow them around all day.   AND, even if you do have that kind of time, maybe you aren't someone THEY want to spend THAT much time with, plus there are things that people are so well versed in, they take it for granted that it's not common knowledge.  Just because they skip that lesson with you doesn't mean you didn't need it.  There are some things that make more sense to learn in a structured environment.  

There is no training anywhere that can make someone effective, you either are or you aren't.  Just because someone spends years in a university, graduates the top in their class with an MD, doesn't mean they're going to have a successful career as a doctor.

Is real estate easy? Sure it is, to those of us with the aptitude and the willingness to follow through.   It takes more than knowing the words to get paid for singing a song.

Best of luck - may your timing be impeccable!

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight.

Very familiar with Scott and the Renatus community in Downers Grove. Real Estate is a field of business that has many facets. Learning them all is not necessary, but if you don't, you could miss out on opportunities. It is very difficult to becoming a successful investor without owning some kind of business because jobs don't typically pay enough to keep a moderate size portfolio going if one runs into difficulties. The direct sales side of the Renatus opportunity is a great additional income stream that helps people get started faster and dovetails your mission rather effectively should you decide to implement it. Renatus education is the only education system that is sold where profits are shared with customers so far, and shared powerfully they are! As long as a product is worth more than the investment, I'd buy (I did by the way and I'd do it again!) It is also very difficult (if not impossible) to do Real Estate Investing alone. Building a team is essential and having all the important resources is KEY. It is a people business and the people are your most important asset. They all won't always have time to help at a particular moment, but I've always gotten it when I needed it! Lots of GREAT people. Get plugged in, learn alot, and then APPLY the knowledge and the skills you develop. Compared to other programs, Renatus ROCKS and is way way way over the top.

Originally posted by @Kelly L. :

I know, my bad...searched job ads online for a real estate apprentice and came across an ad that made it sound like an actual apprentice program. Dove into BiggerPockets and Googled Renatus and read lots of reviews.

It's hard to actually know if I found a review of someone who actually went through the education course or is just doing the marketing side with them (basically an MLM). I went through the Rich Dad sales pitch, so I'm not naive, but I know a few people who are in MLM type of companies and are doing well.

I want to be able to leave my job and focus on investing, but I need a good pay check, sooooo long story short...has anyone been an IMA with them or know information on it? It's basically selling their education courses and getting commission from that depending on which package is bought. Of course, you get a high incentive for signing up yourself with their courses, so they make it seem like the pay-out is way more lucrative than a true MLM.

I'm pretty certain I will get not so good responses, but thought, worth a shot to see what people think!

stay with bigger pockets, buy a multifamily, and you'll be an investor, read books, listen to podcasts, save your money...

Hey John,

SO you have to ask yourself the question.  Do I want to get involved with Network Marketing?  I was a IMA with them and I quit because I got away from why I joined Renatus which was to learn investing not to be in Network Marketing.  They will tell you that you can do both, and for some people maybe they can but it's hard when your going to meetings and half the meeting is about bringing more and more people.  

I can tell you firsthand that the entire Renatus scam is just that ... a SCAM. I am still paying on this huge student loan and wishing I had never gotten into this crap. The education is way over priced and the IMA program is nothing but harrassment to people who can't afford the education in the first place. Be thankful you never went forward with this. I was told that within 3 months I would be making $5000 to $10,000 a month. I never made a dime and I spent the entire 3 months doing nothing but harrassing people on the telephone.  The 3 month period of time turned me into a totally stressed out angry person with no patience at all, and all I did was spend a ton of money on signs, ads, drop cards, and of course the crappy education. I was trying to get someone to buy the program so I could make money at it, but I would not like it if someone was as angry at me as I am at the dick head who convinced me to try it.

It is truly an enigma to me how people speak so generally about people and situations. Renatus and Scott Rowe are in a class all their own. Just like bigger pockets, Renatus is a business. A business must earn money to survive. Scott Rowe and his  wife Nancy have sacrificed incredibly to build such a fantastic business in Downers Grove. Every time I attend I learn something new, there are hundreds of very excited people there that actually form a community. Look, you get out what you put in. Another saying "You get what you pay for". 

I can go all day long trying to find the saying that speaks to your heart. I won't. Like anything else you must go see for yourself and experience it, then decide. Those who fail at Renatus, Bigger Pockets or any other educational source just does not have that thing that makes them a real estate investor. It is not for every one. However just because you pay to go to school and you feel that you learned very little does not make the school at all bad. If the education taught is good and you drop out, you are the problem, not the education regardless where you get it.

Renatus education is life time education. Meaning you can go back whenever you decide even 5 years after you signed up without having to repay tuition. Then the MLM remarks. Geez! It is an opportunity for its students to make money and pay for tuition. The education on marketing alone is worth thousands of dollars alone. I see the marketing as appointment setting, you do not need to spend countless hours on the phone. If that's what you are doing you are doing it wrong. That is not what you are taught. There is no selling. the marketing musters interest, people contact you, you set an appointment and Scott Rowe and his team close the deal from there when they show up to see the business briefing. Simple.

Do they form a structured team? Yes, does the team follow tiers, levels and other requirements only until you are fully certified. Why? it helps to motivate and sets goals, this allows you to measure your progress is you are getting in at the bottom. You get to earn your way to the top. However if you already have tuition money or are willing to take the "anyone will qualify financing of the tuition" you have noting else to think about except your education. 

It is untrue to say that they constantly harp on you getting other people to join. That is simply not true. However if you start as an Independent Marketing Affiliate and want bigger and better benefits or the flagship education you need to do the marketing and earn the tuition money. can anyone see that? Why does everything have to be like some other crap in the past? This is the only school that I know of that will allow you to become educated on the art and skill of marketing in order for you to earn your tuition on a spare time basis. Whats wrong with that if you have limited income and trying to work your way up? Once you are where you want to be there is no more marketing, you now paid for the ediucation and because it is real estate buying and selling, guess what now you get to look at others marketing efforts when buying then you get to use the very same skills you used to market Renatus to now sell the real estate you are trying to sell. Se how that works hand in hand? 

People, please. Even bigger pockets sells a subscription based on the knowledge of other people. It's a business. So if you recommend Bigger Pockets and they make a few bucks they are scammers because they did not share profits with you? Are they scammers because you share your experiences and they do not pay you for your articles? Is bigger Pockets a scam because you have been reading it for months and have not made one deal yet? All a big resounding no! This is a incredible source of information called free by those who are not subscribed to the pro version. Just because you don't pay a fee does not mean it is free to those who maintain the site. 

You get the info free because you do not want to pay for it. That is your choice. However, some people need more than a website with a mash of information. That is why on occasion even Bigger Pockets offer structured education and services here and there. There is nothing wrong with that right? It's a business! Information sells! So at the end of the day are you willing to invest in yourself and write off the expense? or continue to use paid resources that you will not contribute too. Even PBS ask for money to keep programming alive. If you do not watch and fail learn about monkeys in the Amazon does not make them bad either.

Point is. Education we all need. Check it out for yourself and avoid the prejudices of others that may not have the insight, understanding, motivation and ability or desire to pay that you do. Get a structured education or structure the education information you have available and support those that make it available.