Help with broken concrete driveway

8 Replies

I'm looking at a house that has a driveway that goes behind the house. Lots of concrete and part of it is a mess! Any suggestions on house to repair without digging up and replacing? 

Hello Gina. Welcome to BP. This is going to depend on how much of a mess it is. I had a company lift and repair a badly cracked garage floor by pumping hydraulic concrete under it. It was inexpensive and worked very well. They didn't have to haul any of the broken pieces away. I used the same technique on a sunken walkway and porch step also with good results.

I will post a picture tomorrow. It is crumbling and sunken in one area. 

Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz :

Hello Gina. Welcome to BP. This is going to depend on how much of a mess it is. I had a company lift and repair a badly cracked garage floor by pumping hydraulic concrete under it. It was inexpensive and worked very well. They didn't have to haul any of the broken pieces away. I used the same technique on a sunken walkway and porch step also with good results.

This is called mud jacking (among other things) and I've used it before with good results. I've also seen it used with short term success but long term...not so much. You have to know why the slab settled/failed in the first place. Where I've used it was on 50' of sidewalk that sunk on one side of it's 4' width all the way along the 50' length. This was from the base under it not being compacted properly on the street side and, as the underlying base settled and compacted, it allowed the sidewalk to drop +2" with it, making a wicked trip hazard between it and the curb. Mud jacking shines in this application, similar to what Jeff used it for. I saved well 50% over replacement costs and the job was done in afternoon. 

If the reason for the sinking and cracked slab is water related and you haven't fixed the underlying water issue that caused the damage in the first place, the mud jacking is a band aid that will fail in a few years at best. If your slab is crumbling it's definitely too far gone to save. Just make sure that the reason for the failure is resolved before replacing. If it's only a small section that failed, just replace that section. Pictures will certainly help but crumbling is a bad word for concrete. 

We are still crunching the numbers on this house and the driveway scares me. Here are a few pictures. What do you think we could do besides replace it ? 

@Gina Dovel the driveway to me doesn't need to be replaced, unless county, or city is requiring it. You could always discount the property on the selling side to help cover it. Personally I have seen a lot worse and sell but is all gonna depend on your situation.

Hi. My garge floor had huge cracks like this. I hired proseal concrete floor care system to apply epoxy floor coating on that concrete floor . It sealed the floor properly. It’s been an year now . The floor still looks perfect. Epoxy flooring systems have exceptional abrasion resistance. Most of the homeowners are even now using epoxy systems to cover defects in their old flooring slabs.

Hi. My garage floor had huge cracks like this. I hired proseal concrete floor care system to apply epoxy floor coating on that concrete floor . It sealed the floor properly. It’s been an year now . The floor still looks perfect. Epoxy flooring systems have exceptional abrasion resistance. Most of the homeowners are even now using epoxy systems to cover defects in their old flooring slabs.