Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Lenz
  • Realtor
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
E-signature software for leases in PDF format?

Benjamin Lenz
  • Realtor
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Posted Jul 24 2022, 14:30

Hey everyone! 

I'm wondering what programs people are using for tenants who don't live in the area yet and need to sign the lease remotely via e-signature. I currently use LawDepot to download my state specific California residential and then save it in PDF format, but then want to e-sign it myself. I'm not as concerned with how the future tenant will e-sign it as they can always print it out on their end and sign it, scan it, and send it back to me, but with that said I'm not even sure if that's legally binding? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Ben

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Jul 24 2022, 15:29

@Benjamin Lenz you can use acrobat to do this. There is an esign feature that will send to every recipient, including yourself

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574

User Stats

Votes
Joe Martella
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Votes |
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
Replied Jul 24 2022, 15:51

I get the same feeling when you talk about an e-Signature.  Maybe it is the old school in me  but something about seeing someone sign the lease and all the other stuff that makes me more comfortable.  

I know Turbotenant offers the e-sign feature.  Of course for a few.  I don’t recall what it is.  I just sent the PDF and either they can print it out or they can sign the docs in front of me.  I have purchased 3 properties and sold 1 with e-sign.  I haven’t had any problems, nor have I heard of an e-signature being challenged. Then again, realtors, attorneys, banks, title companies were all involved   

Regardless, I would want a lease to have a “wet signature”.  Last thing I need is a tenant challenging the validity of an e-signature in landlord tenant court.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 24 2022, 17:30

@Benjamin Lenz

We use docusign or right signature

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 25 2022, 05:39

e-signature is used in millions of real estate transactions across the nation. I'm not aware of any court case where an e-signature was thrown out. 

When you see an e-signature on a document, all you see is the signature and maybe a date/time stamp. That could easily be falsely created using a number of free softwares.

However, what can't be faked is the signature trail. Every time you electronically sign a document, each action is tracked by IP address, tied specifically to your device. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jul 25 2022, 05:59

We use Docusign just like most other brokers in the US to sign contracts, so no issues legally. BUT: I have gone back to wet signatures signed at the property, because if I don't explain to tenants what they sign 8 out of 10 will only read the headline. So going over the lease and the duties and responsibilities while we sign it is part of our onboarding procedure and tenant training!

I also go over basic maintenance stuff, how to change a furnace filter and how often, where to turn off water and power, and how to reset a GFCI so we don't have to call an electrician every time! And of course some Wisconsin stuff, like snow, ice, leaves and gutters..

User Stats

Votes
Corina Eufinger
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Votes |
  • Oconomowoc, WI
Replied Aug 3 2022, 08:42

I use SignNow as one of my signature platforms.  I find it really easy to use. My biggest pet peeve with it is it doesn't allow for whiting out. So if I have to white out I have to upload it another platform first then over to SignNow. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke J Nelsen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Aug 3 2022, 14:15

We use Authentisign for our LTR leases and just started using JotForms for our STR Rental Ageements.