Feedback on RentToRetirement and Zach Lemaster

62 Replies

We're just starting to look at out-of-state investment options, turnkey providers being one choice, and I am wondering if anyone has had any recent experience they'd like to share about Zach Lemaster and his company, RentToRetirement, specifically in Birmingham and Memphis. We are in Vermont and would love to hear from anyone who has purchased from afar and if you had a good or bad experience with Zach. Thanks! 

Jill,
I am an Medical student/ investor out of California and I have bought 4 properties from Zach. In fact, I am working with him right now to buy a package of three houses. I have had a great experience with Zach. Back in March, my parents gave me some money to invest and learn. I didnt know where to begin. I met Zach on biggerpockets and I was a bit skeptical about investing out of state and meeting someone on Biggerpockets. But I have kept in contact with him and he has helped me strategically build my rental portfolio. I have asked so many dumb question as I was new to this buisness. Zach has answered patiently. If you want to work with someone that is hardworking, strategic and more importantly CONSISTENT, then Zach is my first recommendation. 

We've purchased three homes this year working with Zach & RentToRetirement.  Two with conventional financing, and one with the seller financing option using our SDIRA.  Great experiences all around.  Zach and everyone on his team is very straightforward, helpful & responsive when it comes to making sure we were well informed on everything we were doing.  I had analysis paralysis for a long time and ended up just wasting time without taking any action!  I am so happy that we are on the way to building our passive income portfolio, and plan to scale up even more next year!  It's very important to choose the right team to work with, and there are so many to choose from, but I can honestly say that you won't go wrong with Zach & his team!

Thanks so much for getting back to me. On to the next step! Just curious if either of you considered any other turnkey providers? I'm looking at MemphisInvest and Chris Cloutier as well.

I've absolutely called around, but we felt most comfortable with Zach as he was very responsive and eager to make sure we were well taken care of.  I looked into Memphs Invest, and from what I hear they do a great job on the management side.  Their homes were just a little out of my price range, and I have heard from a few investors that appraisals often come in under purchase price and the investor is expected to pay the difference.  I've never bought through them though.  Hope this helps.

I have worked with Zach Lemaster & RentToRetirement for years now, and purchased multiple properties through him in different markets!  Really top notch individual!  Zach is a seasoned investor himself and he brings much more to the table than any other Turnkey companies I've spoke with or worked with!  I don't know anyone else in the game that offers quality turn key properties in nice neighborhoods, helps you strategically plan for the future AND can offer in-house financing if you need!  From purchase through management, I've been very happy and plan to continue to invest with them!

Bought 2 properties within the past year through them.  Overall pretty happy.  One home is completely hands off and works like clockwork.  The other did have a tenant turnover, but I think management did a fair job of finding a new tenant in a reasonable time.  Likely will buy another this year.

@Brett Veasey they filled the home with a qualified tenant within 30 days, which is definitely acceptable in my book.  Tenant only left because they were relocated last minute for their job.  They had asked us to break their lease, which we allowed them to, but they sacrificed their deposit.  Since I got to keep the deposit, I really wasn't out any money during the vacancy.  Is there something specific you are concerned about?

@Brett Veasey @Josh Rogers

I've invested with them for years and haven't actually had one vacancy to date.  I think this really just depends on the tenant of course.  Glad to hear they filled it right away Josh & you were able to keep the deposit.  Investing in better class properties usually gives you a longer term tenant in general.  Definitely recommend these guys for turnkey investing.  Best to schedule a call specifically with Zach if you haven't yet.

@Brett Veasey That is a good question.  You can find a lot of good statistical data online as well as jumping on google maps to view the neighborhoods.  I've found zillow & trulia are pretty inconsistent & unreliable.  Neighborhood scout is a better resource.  Nothing beats local knowledge though & speaking with boots on the ground.  The local agents & management are great resources.  I would ask Zach for contact info of some.  Generally I look for median homes price & income levels close to good transportation & decent schools.  Google maps gives you a very good idea if it is a family oriented & well kept neighborhood.  Definitely want to avoid areas with vacant boarded up homes, cars parked on the yard, unkept lawns, etc.  Hope this helps.  PM me with any specific questions & I'm happy to give you my two cents on areas you're looking at.

@Josh Rogers @Brett Veasey @Danny Randolph

I've also invested with them for a couple years now and own multiple properties.  I've very impressed by how responsive the team is even as my portfolio grows!  I've only had a few maintenance items that have come up, but that goes along with owning rental real estate.  My other homes have long term tenants, and I haven't had any maintenance calls yet!  So on those ones my returns & cash flow are way higher than anticipated!  I plan to purchase a few more this year.  Zach has been a tremendous mentor in helping me map out my financial blueprint on how to achieve my passive income goals.  I'm currently at about $5,500 per month, and my goal is to get to $7,000 by the end of this year.  He's helped me invest using a SDIRA & even access private money!  Can't recommend them enough if you're looking for a solid team to help you build your passive income portfolio in cash flow markets!!

I'm the greenhorn here to the forum and to real estate investing. I'm really absorbing as much info as possible, and this thread has been intriguing. @Riley Schaefer , would you be willing to elaborate a little on your experience on how you went about growing your portfolio through RentToRetirement - what that blueprint looked like early on and how it succeeded?  I am very much (at this point) more of a hands-off kind of investor just looking to grow that passive income, but who knows, in time I may just get addicted to real estate and become more hands-on. For now, my toddler and day job are exhausting enough!

@Timothy Swaan My plan isn't overly complicated, but I think where most people fall short is simply not CONSISTENTLY following their plan year after year!  Right now I have 8 SFRs that cash flow $250-$350/month net (actually more when I don't have any vacancy or maintenance).  I also have 4 SFRs I own outright with no mortgage that cash flow $700-$1,000/month net.  Three of these I bought through my SDIRA, and the other one I've used the cash flow from my whole portfolio to aggressively pay down the mortgage on over the past year.  This accelerated debt pay down strategy really helps to increase cash flow without having to own a huge portfolio.  My plan for this year is to acquire at least two more homes, and to pay one more property off.  Each time I add another property to my portfolio & pay another one off, my income increases to be able to use as a downpayment for another home, or to put towards paying another one off.  It becomes easier & easier every year as my income increases.  Within a few more years I should be at $10K to $12K per month from passive income, which is the goal I've set for myself to quit my job and actually retire!  Zach & his team have been an essential part in helping me to develop this strategy, and most effectively execute it to make my passive income goals a reality!!  I Never would have thought I would be where I am today a few years ago, but it all starts with that first investment property.  Can't thank these guys enough!

Thank you, @Riley Schaefer !  This definitely gives me a good idea. Throughout everything I've read so far, slow and steady wins the race, so I'm all for that strategy. Navigating the financing nuances is where I'll need the greatest help, since there are 110 ways to skin the real estate purchasing cat, and none of them are totally clear to me (yet). With that, I do look forward to figuring out a similar goal.

Disclosure: Part of company

Thank you to everyone that has worked with us previously for the positive & constructive reviews. I encourage anyone else that has interest in working with our company to reach out to me directly with questions, or to schedule an initial phone consultation.

Zach

Wow there is so many good reviews here that my head is spinning 

Thank you everyone 

I was thinking of setting up a consultation with Zach now I will go forward with it 

You guys really helped this newbie out 

Thanks again