Where to find Municipal Code for Bandit Signs?

10 Replies

Hello everyone. I wanted to know where online can I find the specific municipal codes for bandit signs? Is it under a specific section in the code for signs? I did some checking online however found nothing specific yet.

Thank you

Check with you local town and county websites.  Look for "sign code" or similar.  Otherwise, call the mayor's office and the county executives office.

If a code addresses signs, and not all do, there will be some section about signs in general.  I've never seen one that mentions "bandit signs".  Usually they have a blanket ban on signs, then have a series of exceptions or a permitting process for certain kinds of signs.  Usually googling "<city> <state> municipal code" will turn it up.  It does for Hialeah:

https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=1...

Chapter 74 is about signs.

Most muni codes allow you to search within the code. I have also seen bandit signs called snipe signs. Usually there is also a prohibition of placing signs on public property (utility poles, light poles, sign posts, medians, and generally within the right-of-way).

Thank you all. I will look more specifically within those sections.

@Jose Diaz  , I wondered about that myself. Googled "fines for bandit signs", found out Houston charges $500/day/sign. Not sure how they enforce it, but sure scared me. I talked to a Boynton Beach city worker who was removing signs. He told me that they collect phone #s / info. If too many violations, they will take action. I asked about posting on private property, he told me to check w/ city. I've thought about putting banners at some schools. They usually sell advertising space on their fences, often by the sports field, and usually close to busy streets.

Found the section for signs and definitions pertaining to signs. Which is a bandit sign:

Banner sign means a sign having letters, characters or illustrations applied to cloth, plastics, paper or fabric of any kind with only such material for backing. This definition includes flag banners, sail banners, teardrop banners or feather banners.

Portable sign means any sign designed to be transported or any sign not permanently attached to the ground or to a permanent structure. Portable signs include but are not limited to signs capable of transport by wheels, skid-mounted signs, A-frame signs, T-frame signs, sandwich board signs, and signs attached to or painted on vehicles parked for the purpose of advertising on or near to the public right-of-way.

Snipe sign means a sign nailed, glued or otherwise attached to trees, poles, walls, trash receptacles, fences or other objects. Legal notices required by law are exempted.

Temporary sign means any sign to be displayed for a limited period as specified in this chapter.

@Jose Diaz  , I have seen both portable and snipe signs used. If you are looking to permit a sign, it might fall into the temporary cat. as well.

You might have success by getting the name and number of the code enforcement officer in your part of the city. If you meet with him and have him define what he expects you may find a little leeway in the area that he oversees since he is the one that will be contacting you if the city gets any calls.

Originally posted by @James Samudio:

You might have success by getting the name and number of the code enforcement officer in your part of the city. If you meet with him and have him define what he expects you may find a little leeway in the area that he oversees since he is the one that will be contacting you if the city gets any calls.

Good idea.  Where can I get that specific information? 

That is a great idea. Getting the answer straight from the horses mouth. I'm also in Miami, looking for the same information.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here