Zip Letters results vs postcards?

7 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I recently sent some zip letters from yellowletters.com . They arrived last week and I have not gotten many calls yet. The letters are a follow up to a postcard I sent to the same list so I am unsure if that is why my response rate is lower than postcards or if it is the zip letter themselves. How have you guys found the response rate vs postcards?

My response rate is probably .7 percent. Postcards with this list usually do at least 1.5%, maybe more. 

I had one sent to myself and to be honest it looks like something I would not open, but then again I get in trouble when I apply how I think to a seller. 

Hi Eric, Zip Letters typically bring in about 1-3% response rate. Postcards are usually about .5%, so its AWESOME that you're getting three times that response. I tracked your mail and it looks like you still have about 12% of your letters that haven't been delivered yet, so you may get a few more calls. Keep in mind standard mail tends to trickle in.

Zip Letters appeal to certain people, just like Yellow Letters and postcards appeal to different people. That's why it's important to switch up your mail pieces, each type of mail piece can bring in calls that may not have come from the other mail pieces. 

Hang in there and stay consistent. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

the only thing I would add to Codys outstanding response is that I use the c fold zip.  It looks more like a check.  

@Michael Quarles I used one that looks like a government mailer since most of my list has some sort of county issue (tax, code violations, etc). I will try the c fold zip next time. 

@Cody Alexander you said "Zip Letters appeal to certain people, just like Yellow Letters and postcards appeal to different people. That's why it's important to switch up your mail pieces, each type of mail piece can bring in calls that may not have come from the other mail pieces."

This was my thought process. Thanks for the 1.5% figure. I was curious what the overall figure for zip letters was. Do you know how many times someone tears off the bottom and mails it? I was looking at it with a buddy and we both would be shocked if I even get one, but if I do we bet they are really motivated!

Hopefully I will get more calls. Another post card is already on deck for the same list as well.

I actually get a few each mailing.  Mainly from seniors.  

Michael Quarles , I am starting a mailing campaign and I will be buying zip letters from your website. My question is, how would you start your series of mailing campaigns?
YL,ZP,YL or ZL,YL,ZL
What has lead to better results?
What order would work better...
Now, I see you have different templates, do you happen to know which templates have better response rates?

I appreciate you time ... ;)

small PC

Yellow Letter

Large text PC

Typed Professional Letter

Greeting Card with Business Card Insert 

ZipContract

since this got bumped I will say I got two of the bottoms ripped off and mailed back. I was surprised. 

For some reason I actually got a higher response rate off post cards than yellow letters or zip letters. I am sure it is an outlier, Mr. Quarles has probably 200x the data I do (as well as sample size), but it has been that way for me. I have no idea why. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.