Real Estate Investing Basics

21 Times When Real Estate Investing Is Actually The Worst

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Personal Development
Real Estate Investing

1. When you visit your rental property and realize your tenant is a hoarder.

81526268
Source: reddit.com

2. When the government passes new legislation that makes it harder for real estate investors to do business.

no cashflow
Source: ebaumsworld.com

3. When you’re walking through a foreclosure and the property is a significantly more disgusting than you were expecting.

walkthrough
Source: reddit.com

4. When you’re at an open house for a potential investment property, and you run into one of your competitors.

83219320
Source: ebaumsworld.com

5. When your CPA is trying to explain the benefits and tax implications of using a Self-Directed Roth IRA over a traditional 401K retirement plan.

83256911
Source: ebaumsworld.com

6. When you buy a property in a “War Zone” neighborhood, just because it was cheap.

regret_this_decision_anchorman
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

7. When you visit your rental and discover that your tenants have trashed the place and moved out in the night…  and you’re left to deal with the ensuing carnage.

83493015
Source: 4GIFs.com

8. How it feels when you hand the keys to your first rental house over to a property manager.

83400705
Source: ebaumsworld.com

9. When you’re trying to sell a property and someone offers you 50% of your asking price.

83400692
Source: ebaumsworld.com

10. When your variable rate mortgage starts ticking up with rising interest rates.

83532989
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

11. When you pay $30 for a real estate book, read it cover-to-cover, and realize you could have gotten the same information for free on BiggerPockets.

83333510
Source: 4GIFs.com

12. When you get home from working on a vacant rehab project and realize you forgot to lock the doors.

83507466
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

13. When you pull into your driveway and realize you forgot the ONE item that you just drove 45 minutes to get from Home Depot.

Home Depot
Source: ebaumsworld.com

14. When you ask your spouse to come along with you to visit some potential investment properties.

visit rentals
Source: ebaumsworld.com

15. When you’ve spent over a year trying to coach a rookie investor, and they buy a property with negative cash flow.

83400697Source: ReactionGIFs.us

16. One month after you buy a new duplex, and your property manager tells you both furnaces need to be replaced.

83360472
Source: ebaumsworld.com

17. When you’re walking through a foreclosure and you discover a homeless man living in the bathroom.

homeless man
Source: gifbin.com

18. Two weeks after you buy a new rental house, and your wife asks if it’s making any money yet.

83493004
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

19. When you’ve been working for 6 months on a complicated closing and at the last second, the seller tells you they’re backing out of the deal.

Farley Reaction
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

20. When you’re stuck on the phone with a prospect who feels the need to tell you their life story.

83518469
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

21. When you miss out on the deal of a lifetime.

83333495
Source: ReactionGIFs.us

When you realize that ALL investors experience pain in their journey, and only the most successful ones have the strength to endure adversity.

investor
Source: reddit.com

Photo: alles-schlumpf

Seth Williams (@retipsterseth , G+) is an experienced land investor, commercial real estat...
    Jan
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Love this – you make me laugh!
    Glad I could help Jan!
    Mark Ferguson
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Great list! There are some investment books out there with almost no good info. You have to love the investor who you try to help over and over but ultimately don’t listen to a thing. Reply Report comment
    Mark Ferguson
    Mark Ferguson
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks Mark – it can certainly be tough to change a person’s way of thinking, no doubt about it.
    Kimberly Hale
    LOL! Great list, the video for #14 really cracked me up. Reply Report comment
    Kimberly Hale
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    LOL! Great list, the video for #14 really cracked me up.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Haha, thanks Kimberly! Some of us definitely know what #14 feels like. I guess we can’t blame them for putting up with us though. 🙂
    Jen Kurtz
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    This is so funny! I am happy I stumbled on the BP community before I felt like Bert!! 🙂
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    LOL – no kidding Jen! BP has definitely saved a lot of us from that kind of trouble. Reply Report comment
    Jen Kurtz
    Sara Cunningham
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Hilarious and I think all 21 have happened to me.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks Sara – I know I’ve experienced at least half of these myself (unfortunately, it wasn’t difficult for me to think of the nasty situations we investors can get ourselves into). I guess we all have to experience some of the lows along with the highs.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Mehran Kamari
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Lol I’ve been giggling and laughing so hard for the past 10 minutes. I LOVE THESE!
    Mehran Kamari
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Awesome! I’m glad you got a kick out of these Mehran. Thanks for your comment!
    Andrew C.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Trying to laugh… but, I’ve lived through so many of them, I suspect that someone has taken these from my biography… lol
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I know what you mean Andrew. Sometimes these things just hit a little too close to home. 🙂 Oh well… at least we can chock it up to a lesson (or two) learned!
    Melodee Lucido
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    omgosh Seth I NEEDED this to have a good laugh (through tears) this morning. Number 19 is the one that wins the prize for me this week. I’m saving this for comic relief. The last one though makes it all worth it. Thank you so much >>> sometimes we just gotta laugh
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Hahaha, I’m glad I got you to cry Melodee – now I feel a real sense of accomplishment! Seriously though, I appreciate your comment. Thanks for letting me know!
    Melodee Lucido
    Jason Merchey
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Yah, you rocked it on that compilation.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks Jason! I’m glad you liked it!
    Sharon Tzib
    These are so funny, Seth! And I love the double shot of Eddie Murphy 🙂
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Haha, I was a big fan of that one too. Thanks Sharon!
    Greg Miller
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I like the visual for number 14! Foretunately, my wife is a business partner and key contributor to our real estate investing!
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Nice Greg – sounds like you’ve got it made. Having buy-in from the spouse is KEY. I’m glad you got a kick out of #14!
    Meghan Keith-Hynes
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Made my day!!! Nice to know there are kindred spirits out there!!! Thank you Seth!!! 🙂
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    No problem Meghan, thanks for letting me know you liked it!
    JerryW.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Great blog. I love the visual aspect. Its that old adage about why we laugh at something … it’s because it hurts but not enough to cry about it.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Totally Jerry! That’s what I love out these animated gifs. They tell the story SO much better than any words could do alone. Thanks for your comment!
    Shane Woods
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    True stuff is the funniest 🙂 My favorites are the A.D.D. ones about not locking doors & forgetting the ONE THING from Home Depot. Yep. That’s me.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I love those too Shane – classic. If I had to pick a favorite out of all of these, I’d probably have to go with #13. The expression says it all! Reply Report comment
    Keith Weinhold
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I’m chuckling and chortling like a giddy kid. Uh oh, I just slapped my knee again. Great compilation, Seth. Keep these going!
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks Keith – I’m glad you liked it!
    Thanks Keith – I’m glad you liked it! Reply Report comment
    Pedro Gonzalez
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Seth, After a long Sunday of hard work, and weeks of not taking days off, just when I was about to bang my head against the wall again until I felt no pain, I read your posting. The best reading I had in a while….It made my night….Number 21 is my favorite…lol! Thank you very much…Take care, Pedro.
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    That’s awesome, thanks for letting me know Pedro! We’ve all had those days (myself included) and if we’re honest – I think most of us can say we know the frustration all too well. Hang in there brother, it gets better!
    Jag Sekhon
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Definitely the funniest article I’ve seen on BP! Hats off to you. good sir!
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Awesome! Glad I’ve got your stamp of approval Jag – thanks!
    Kevin Perk
    Nice! Well done! Kevin
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks Kevin! I enjoy reading your posts as well – keep up the solid work.
    Steve Dinges
    Steve Dinges
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Seth, Number 19 for sure! Just lost a deal that was laid out for the seller and definitely the buyer! Thought it could not go wrong! This is the first time i have laughed since that happened two weeks ago! But the rest are so truthful and yet so funny! Thanks, I needed that! Steve Dinges Reply Report comment
    Steve Dinges
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Hey Steve! Sorry to hear about the lost deal – those are never fun. I am however – glad you were able to laugh at this post. Thanks for stopping by!
    Ellen Pang
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Too funny Seth, loving the animated GIFs. The one about Home Depot is what happens to my partner after we come back from what we call Bunnings here in Australia. Lol. They’re all hilarious but #12, wow – those eyes! haha. And yes, #20 – I agree.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Haha – so I’m not the only one! Thanks for your comment Ellen. 🙂
    John
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I can honestly say that was some of the funniest Real Estate Related Humor I’ve seen in a Long Time. Reply Report comment
    John
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks John – I appreciate that!
    John
    Replied over 6 years ago
    John
    Replied over 6 years ago
    John
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Deanna
    Replied over 6 years ago
    #14. No contest. Does anyone but a realtor’s kid understand what’s it’s like to be on a Sunday afternoon ride through the mountains and hearing “Look! An open house!”? Don’t get me wrong; looking around vacant houses was fun — it was those awful words “you kids stay in the car this time. We’ll only be a few minutes”. At minimum half an hour (more likely 45 min) sitting in a hot car, bored, with ABSOLUTELY nothing to do. Oh well. Here I am cruising around on Bigger Pockets, so I guess it all paid off in the end…
    Taylor Jennings
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Rofl man… I haven’t used rofl in probably 6 years! I laughed hard at #14, but when I read #17 I started to cry I was cracking up so hard hahah my wife was in the other room and asked if I was crying. #18 was soo good too. Always love reading these references you make. Keep it up bro!
    Moshe H. Rental Property Investor from Ramapo, NY
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    LOL! Thanks for resurrecting this on Twitter today! Much needed comic relief. I can’t choose a favorite!