BiggerPockets Podcast 119: From Pro Athlete to Pro Real Estate Entrepreneur with Graham Mink
On today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we are excited to introduce you to Graham Mink, a professional hockey player turned real estate investor from the state of Vermont. Graham shares the story of getting his first deal while traveling the world and his journey since that day. You'll learn how he turned the lessons gained from house hacking into a profitable business managing tenants, being a real estate agent, and subdividing properties.
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
If you want to invaluable lessons about jumping into real estate investing, scaling your business, the ins and outs of financing your deals — and much more — then take a little time out of your day to hear this inspirational show!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor HomeSearch.
HomeSearch.com is an online marketplace committed to helping home buyers, sellers and investors achieve their real estate goals through utilizing an advanced auction platform.
Learn more by visiting HomeSearch
In This Episode We Cover:
- A bit about Graham and his professional hockey career
- What it’s like to transition from professional sports to real estate
- His first property and first tenant, thanks to his father!
- Details on refinancing a property
- What you should know about home equity lines of credit
- What exactly an FHA loan is
- How to use house hacking to create income
- Details on his second deal
- A discussion about the real estate market
- The ins and outs of finding the property that fits what you want to do
- How Graham subdivided a property
- The role BiggerPockets played Graham’s success
- How to execute a seller-financed deal
- The pros and cons of getting real estate license
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show:
- BiggerPockets is hiring!
- BiggerPockets Webinar Replays (for Pro)
- How to “Hack” Your Housing and Get Paid to Live for Free
- The Real Estate Market: How to Analyze and Predict Cycles
- The Real Key to Success is Cheating. Here’s How (and Why) To Cheat…
- BiggerPockets Podcast Show 118 with Grant Cardone
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Calculators
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Book on Flipping Houses by J Scott
- Brandon Turner’s The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down
- Landlording on Auto-Pilot by Mike Butler
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- “The one who pumps out slow and steady kind of wins the race.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you’re not making money, you’re not making money.” (Tweet This!)
- “Get your license, find a mentor… scrub toilets if you have to.” (Tweet This!)
- “Walk before you run.” (Tweet This!)
- “Everybody’s got some kind of advantage.” (Tweet This!)
- “When you seen an opportunity that you lose, it opens the door for something else.” (Tweet This!)