BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 128: Investing in Foreclosures, Quitting Your Job, and Getting More Than 10 Loans with Anca Rader

Expertise:

On this episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down and talk with a real estate entrepreneur who recently was able to quit her job and travel the world thanks to her real estate ambitions! You’ll learn the unique methods Anca uses to get around the “4 to 10 loans” limit to finance numerous properties, as well as many other tips on everything ranging from house hacking to buying foreclosures to buying at an auction, and so much more. Don’t miss this excellent interview with an incredible successful investor, Anca!

Read the Transcript

Click here to read the transcript.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

In This Episode We Cover:

BiggerPockets-Podcast-Cover 300 300

• How Anca got started with real estate
  • Why Anca started with 50-50 partnership deals with her dad
  • How they got their first deal
  • How home equity loans can help you invest
  • Buying foreclosed properties
  • The ins and outs of REO foreclosures
  • Tips for new real estate investors
  • What you should know about getting loans
  • How Anca manages her 33 rental units
  • Using commercial loans to finance residential investments
  • How Anca uses the BRRR strategy to invest with low-money down
  • Anca’s smart strategy for getting deals when working with other agents
  • The dangers of buying properties in auction
  • Things you need to know about long distance investing
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Connect with Anca

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investo...
    Jordan Williamson Rental Property Investor from Cape Coral, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    First comment is the best comment! 🙂
    Juan Martinez Agent/Investor from Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Anca- Great story, you are living and breathing the American dream and the opportunities this great nation has to those who are willing to go for it! as an immigrant myself, i truly enjoyed listening to your story and what you have accomplish!!! keep making it happen!!! Juan.
    Lorene Fleming Investor from Covina, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    What a great podcast! Anca, you are amazing and inspiring! Keep killin’ it girl! Josh and Brandon, I pesonally think your lame jokes are too cute – they have me laghing to myself as I listen on the bus on my way to work. I just ignore the crazy looks I get. Thanks for an awesome show! 🙂
    Chris Purcell Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Josh mentioned REO Foreclosure auctions has the title cleared and regular auctions don’t have the title cleared. How do I know what type of auction I’m looking at online or attending live?
    Jeff Johnton Real Estate Investor from Clive, IA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks for the info. I am getting pumped up about real estate investing. We own a four plex (notice I did not say flat!) right now. My wife gave me permission to do a fix and flip. Financing seems to be the issue right now…
    Patrick Inglis Commercial Real Estate Broker from Nashville TN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great info and great story Anca. The info on the 203K loans was particularly good stuff, I wasn’t familiar with it. I had some experience with Auction.com a few years back as a co-broker on a commercial listing, and they can bid against buyers to meet the reserve and (although this was several years ago so policies and procedures may have changed) the reserve can be adjusted mid-auction based on level of interest. Good luck!
    Danny N. Real Estate Investor from Worcester, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Man! I really enjoyed this one! Great listen and great podcast and very inspiring. I Like how Anca was able to “retire” from her 9-5 after working full time but adding to her portfolio at the same time. she took a very practical and realistic path to achieve this. @Anca, the 4 family you got for 80k, what type of neighborhood was it in? and does it have have market rate tenants or some sec 8?
    Colin Smith Realtor from Colorado Springs, CO
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Who wants The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (And Low) Money Down? … THIS GUY!!!
    Jeffrey Stevens Investor from Orlando, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast, thanks for all the information and insight shared! Very helpful!
    Nate T. Investor from Tempe, Arizona
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I have about 5 podcasts to listen to before I get to this one. But I’m impatient… 🙂 Can someone please summarize how to get around the “4 to 10” limit on bank loans?
    Joseph Coach Flipper from Monrovia, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    @the 24 min mark…One of the points was to use small local banks for loans. She used crians list of the top local banks and started calling them, closest to the furthest away. She called them during lunch hours and asked to speak with a commercial banker at the bank. First question is to ask if they do commercial loans on residential properties? If they do, what type of loans? Ask not only for the interest rate but also the terms. Hope that helps Nate.
    Adil Oghlan from Stevenson Ranch, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    She mention’d instead of having all loans under couple’s name, ( assuming you are married) , you can have 4 loans under your name and 4 loans under your spouse’ name.
    Igor S. Rental Property Investor from Fuquay Varina, NC
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I believe Anca’s last name is spelled “Rader” not “Radar” like posted in the title above “BP Podcast 128: Investing in Foreclosures, Quitting Your Job, and Getting More Than 10 Loans with Anca Radar”
    Nicole A. Rental Property Investor from Columbia Maryland and Tampa Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great point on the benefit of having a LLC allowing you to purchase more properties than the otherwise cap rules from Fannie Mae and such! I’m getting antsy and think it’s time to get unit number 5 and 6 for my company. Thank you, Anca, for sharing your experience.
    Yosef Fares Investor from Fresno, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Show!!! loved the advice on the loans and the HELC point of view.
    Erick Martinez from Waukegan, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Superb podcast! Brandon and Joshua make Arnold Schwarzenegger be a guest in the near future. That is all.
    Marc Jolicoeur Investor from Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Anca, Awesome interview. Thanks for the inspiration! Your story is really awesome. I’ve got to try Hubzu next.
    Mujangi Kabamba Investor from Midlothian, VA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I am not a real fan of podcast but this one got me. From the beginning throu the end – my ears were widely open. Great podcast Radar, Brandon and Josh.
    Tanya S. Rental Property Investor from Arlington, VA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Glad to see some more women investors featured on BP – Go Anca!
    Jay S. Investor from LA, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I think this is the Crain’s list she refers to: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130727/ISSUE02/130729845/crains-publishes-banking-list-package
    Brandt Fanion Real Estate Agent from Syracuse, NY
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great tip on getting loans. Get a list of top 100 banks, find the top banks in your area. Speak with a commercial banker from each bank and ask if they offer commercial loans on residential properties to get the best possible option for a loan. Nailed it! (best comment)
    Joe Kim Rental Property Investor from SF Bay Area, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Anca’s podcast exemplifies why BP is such a valuable resource. 1. Diversity – different people (woman, immigrant) with different stories of success 2. Brandon/Josh asked really good questions to polish/refine the golden nuggets that Anca was sharing 3. Great story of progression from newbie to experienced investor with tips along the way (loans -fanny to freddy to commercial) 4. Entertaining podcast all the way, with Josh/Brandon tripping all over themselves in front of an attractive/SMART lady. 5. It inspires me to encourage my young daughter (only 9) to pursue REI! I’m sure in a few years, I will play this podcast for her. This podcast is for sure to inspire many future Miss REIs 6. Bravo to Anca for taking time to spend time with her family in Romania. REI can be consuming/addictive sometimes in a negative way, but people like Anca inspire me to remember the things in life (family and friends) are way MORE important than money and REI. Thank you Anca, Josh, Brandon!
    Paul Durham from Orange, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Just wanted to let you know, I watched Seth Rogen and James Franco in the video you mentioned…..DISTURBING!!!
    Bryce Young Wholesaler from Springville, Utah
    Replied over 4 years ago
    As a young college student with just a few thousand in the bank, the 203k loans and FHA loans will work perfectly for me. Thanks, Anca, for being willing to help new investors like me to not be intimidated by the learner’s curve in real estate investing. Josh and Brandon, thanks for asking questions for the beginner audience, such as “What is a foreclosure?” to keep me in the loop. I just learned about biggerpockets through this podcast and I love it! Full summer vacations here I come! (In 6-7 years of course)
    Gary Hurst Investor from Belton, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Info for all. I love how The American Dream is still alive. Guys dont know if you Know Del Walmsley of Lifestylesunlimited but he would be a great guest. Thanks for all you do.
    Michele Fischer Rental Property Investor from Seattle, WA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was a really fun podcast, Anca had a lot of really great advice. And loved having new book recommendations!
    Jacob Vincent Investor from Sunnyvale, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Good podcast. I’m here for the free books! Go Blackhawks! Go Sox!
    Joseph Coach Flipper from Monrovia, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Commenting while listening… come on Josh and Brandon send that book! Awesome podcast too! We’re closing on our first home (primary residence) right now with a foreclosure on the same block. This information is going to helps us acquire it… hopefully!
    Joseph Coach Flipper from Monrovia, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Never knew about the lists and it seems like there isnt a single source for them. Might have goggle the city name and book of list. I found one for los angeles at http://labusinessjournal.com/lalists/
    Jen Shrock from North West, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 4 years ago
    On average, how much time do you spend on analyzing a property? This might help, as a broad based guideline, those of us that get stuck in the due dilagence analysis stage.
    Jen Shrock from North West, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Loved the tip on the 5% instead of the 3.5% on the FHA loans. What a golden nugget of info to tuck away for the future!
    Kevin Ramirez Nieto Wholesaler from Raleigh, NC
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I can’t thank you guys enough for everything I have learned from BP and the BP podcast. So many tips and tricks I now use in my real estate investing business regularly! I can say that one of the biggest things you guys have taught me is that you can always learn something from anybody. By that I mean, you guys have guest from all walks of earth and from every corner of the industry, things that I didn’t even know were niches in real estate and that are not related to what I do at all, and I still ALWAYS get something valuable out of them. I apply that to my day to day meetings, I meet with people in and outside of the real estate industry and every time I can pick something from them that can be beneficial in my business. Thank you for that
    Gavin Peacock Investor from Portland, Oregon
    Replied over 4 years ago
    128 was excellent in every single way Josh’s jokes and Brandon’s beard have brightened up my day Anca from Romania’s a brilliant first time guest With information and advice that simply was the best I’ve not yet purchased Turner’s book, the title is so long I browse along the bookshelves, but always get it wrong If it was much shorter, I’d be reading it right now And purchasing a duplex, (with just a little bit of money down, or someone else’s, or perhaps a creative financing arrangement that’s a win-win situation for everyone involved) So thank you, chaps, for this podcast and everything you do I love to listen every week, (and have left a nice review!) 7 days to wait though, for podcast 129 I wish I had a book to read, to pass away the time…
    Daniel Gibson Investor from Saint Louis, Missouri
    Simply brilliant!
    Nelson J Castillo Investor from Valrico, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you Anca! This may be the best podcast yet. I will use a lot of this information, especially the tip regarding the 5% on the fha instead of 3.5%. I recommend this podcast to everyone like myself, who is getting started in real estate. Since BP will be giving away copies of this book, I figure it might be best to explain why I, of all people, deserve to get a free copy. For one, I am currently in the process of saving every penny I can for my future real estate investments. Also, after reading this book I plan to pay it forward. I will loan this book to others that are in the same situation as me financially. I believe paying it forward is a rewarding and gratifying experience that everyone should try sometime. Lastly, my goal is to ultimately help other young people like myself by providing them with homes that are affordable. I believe this book will help me accomplish my goal. Thank you, Nelson J Castillo
    Sunny Suh Real Estate Investor from Jersey City, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Realtor kind of crushed my dreams on a FHA 203b loan that was presented here and also in other areas. He mentioned that not only do I have to be approved but also the property which can cause a hurdle. Any insight into this? I agree with the other commenter, the 5% on the FHA 203b loan was great info.
    Danny N. Real Estate Investor from Worcester, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Sunny, if the FHA loan is giving you a hard time, get in touch with a community bank / local bank/ credit union
    Anca Alexandru Rader Residential Real Estate Broker from Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I would say to get a new realtor then and also make sure you work with a good loan officer/mortgage broker that is experienced in 203k loans, since not everybody does it. The realtor gets the same commission (based on purchase price) regardless of whether you get a 203k or conventional loan, so it’s not in their interest to recommend a type of loan that typically takes longer but there is no added benefit to them… Such a loan is a bit more challenging to work with, but I think the hassle factor is worth the $35,000 reward for rehab costs. Just think how long it would take to save up that much money in the first place, so your dollars per hour spent into getting that will probably be well spent, and you will probably be able to charge more for rents and get better tenants if you fix up the place nicer.
    Brian Nelson Investor from San Diego, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast! Anca has achieved precisely what the majority of us are aiming for. I have one question that I hope Anca can elaborate upon just a bit. She mentions how she “flips to herself” in order to get the cash back via refinancing at a higher valuation. Anca, is this the primary way you have managed to get to 30+ properties and over 60 units in such a short time? It seems as though deals like this just aren’t THAT abundant (at least not in San Diego). I’m running into the problem that, with a 25% down payment as an investor, I can only scoop up maybe one property per year based on my current salary. Is fix and flip to yourself the answer to amass so many properties so quickly, or are there other things you are doing? Thanks!! Brian
    Anca Alexandru Rader Residential Real Estate Broker from Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Brian, To get over the 4 property hurdle that’s kind of how I did it. You buy foreclosures with cash, then fix and rent, once that’s done go to the bank and have them be appraised. If you’ve done your homework and bought/fixed well, the property should be appraised at well above what you put in, and you can take all your money back to buy/fix the next place/places, and still have 25% equity while having a cashflow property. And at this point, the ROI is truly infinite.. Please let me know if that is detailed enough or if you want me to give you an example. Anca
    Brian Nelson Investor from San Diego, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks Anca! No need for an example, that makes sense. The magic is in finding those great deals! Thanks again.
    Dante Pirouz Rental Property Investor from Fort Gratiot, MI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    How soon after purchasing a property can you get a HELOC? I purchased a duplex for all cash and have renovated it and my bank told me I had to wait 6 months before applying for the HELOC. Are there any banks that are doing HELOCs sooner that that after initial purchase?
    Rusty Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I enjoyed this podcast so much that I actually listened to it three times. Three times!!! Maybe it’s because I’m from Chicago and biased, but more likely because it was that I found this podcast in particular to have a very real, “I can do that too” feel to it. Great stuff guys, and thank you Anca. Moving towards my first 3 FLAT! Building the empire, one penny at a time.
    Jeff Pataki Wholesaler from Dublin, Ohio
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast Anca! I’ve listened to this one 3 times. ( I never do that, by the way ) Just curious, what level of rehabs are you generally looking for…? Or does it matter? Thanks! Jeff
    Chelsy S. Specialist from Baton Rouge, LA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Good to hear about the path Anca took and to hear her accomplishments. It’s great to have so many connections in the industry to get started and the support they provide to help you excel. Congrats Anca and good luck in future endeavors.
    Shelli Callan from Kalispell, MT
    Replied over 4 years ago
    On a side note, love the 3 star review conversation. This first time I listened to a podcast. (#49 Amanda Han) I kind of wondered if I could do it. I thought these guys might be a little too goofy for me. Boy am I glad I kept listening! The content far out ways the little bit of goofy, which I have come to love by the way!!
    Lesley Riley from Pismo Beach, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    My husband and I just retired. Driving from CA to Florida listening to this podcast 128. Getting a lot of info from your interview with Anca. Would love to win one of your Bigger Pockets books.
    Stephanie Dobbs Real Estate Broker from Bowie, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    There was so much information here that I really enjoyed! Calling 100 banks sounds like an ideal challenge for me to take on, as I’m looking into hard money, and going with a community bank may be a better solution (especially since I recently worked to obtain a partnership with an experienced investor). Also the information regarding ‘flipping to yourself’ Ms. Radar is genius! I heard something similar to that in passing about four years ago, but really appreciate the way it was explained and the acronym given as BRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat) Strategy! Due to this Podcast, I will definitely look into foreclosures for my first flip, as I was not aware of the removal of liens prior to listening. Thanks BP (Brandon and Josh) for the great information, as I know this is putting money in my pocket!
    Jeanne Juneau Investor from Gig Harbor, Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    So I was just laid-off, and my plan was to take my severance to buy my 2nd house. But listening to Anca sounds like I’d better get back to work until I have a few houses under my belt??? (I have 1 SF now.) Am I in the running for Brandon’s book?
    Adrian Smude Rental Property Investor from Plant City, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show! Love the idea of taking the top small banks in the area! I’m about to start contacting local banks and was just going to go at this randomly, I believe you have saved me from searching and being unorganized. Thank you!
    Christopher Davis Investor from Litchfield Park, Arizona
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I would not have considered investing in another country even though my wife if from Poland and her mother goes back twice a year. We’re not at that point yet but at least it is another potential source of property deals. It is a good tip and another reason to visit the country – it’s just something we never made time for.
    Meghan NA from Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is some great stuff. My brother, husband and I are considering buying a property to fix up and flip but are wondering if renting them out is more lucrative. We are looking at SFH in the suburbs of MSP in MN, ideally so we can take a split level or similar and turn it into a home with a ktichenette downstairs so we could appeal to granny flat/older child living at home/daycare/cool parents crowd. Is there a good resource for deciding if real estate investing is better for fixing and selling vs renting? It sounds like this podcast is discussing a lot of buy and hold. I know a lot of resources suggest buy-and-hold for du/tri/quad-plex. Is there a different suggestion for SFH? Also, what are some of the most common ways of splitting an investment when partnering with others?
    Chad Anderson from Redding, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Awesome interview and I love your name!
    Jeffrey McKee Engineer and Network Marketing Professional from Plano, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Amazing story! I love how you and your dad were able to come together and start wreaking it in real estate. I will be brief. Aside from having access to MLS, and commission leveraging with listing agent, what other benefits do you see from having the real estate license? Do you think you would have been able to accomplish what you have done with out it? I do not have one, but i have seriously contemplated getting one. You recommended going to work for a real estate company that is filled with investors after getting license. Sounds like a great strategy! Could that be done part time?
    Kim Jeane Investor from Marrero, LA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks Anca for sharing your story with us. It has inspired me to move forward on other properties that I have only considered purchasing. I appreciate the timeframe that you provided in getting where you are today. It means to me that in 7 years I can accomplish a lot. The knowledge of the 203(k) loan will assist in obtaining additional properties by engaging some others that I know that would like to experience the learning and earning potential that the real estate market can provide.
    Account Closed from Metairie, Louisiana
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great actionable tips, particularly at the end, like working at a brokerage with agents that ARE investors. Great podcast!
    Robert Hatley from Montesano, Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Anca is an inspiration and extremely relatable. I did not know about the 5% over 3.5% down payment for MIP; that is a great tip. She has quite the story of starting out. Brandon you should add a laugh track, that may help your lame jokes or at least we will know they are supposed to be funny. 🙂 This is another great podcast; keep up the great work.
    Ruslan Laranjo from Medford, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast! Guy here form Ukraine, was nice listening to someone who is a neighbor!
    Anca Alexandru Rader Residential Real Estate Broker from Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Ruslan, We were just in Ukraine at the end of May. Odessa was great, I really loved it and am looking forward to going back!
    Stephanie Dobbs Real Estate Broker from Bowie, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Was the winner of the book determined? I like to think I had a shot and before purchasing, I want to ensure I didn’t win a free copy 🙂
    Keith Arnold from Shawnee Mission, Kansas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    loved the podcast. listening to you three reminded me of my youth. I think you should be able to figure out who Rocky is…… That would be you Josh….. I mean the squirrel on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. Guess who is Bullwinkle Brandon and my favorite of all Natasha. thanks again for another enlightening show.
    Jim Stoffey Real Estate Agent from Audubon, New Jersey
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Anca, great podcast. Thank you for mentioning 203K loans. Believe it or not, I have had a hard time finding any real estate professionals that know what that type of loan is and how it works. I find a lot of stuff I have learned from BP is not common knowledge in the industry. Crazy! Also, thank you for mentioning books that you have not heard before…I always wish guests would do that. Thanks again.
    Gianni Laverde Investor from Corona, NY
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Awesome podcast full of inspiration and great tips. Anca’s real estate journey is impressive. Taking action and being resourceful are a great recipe for success in real estate. Thank you for all the tips provided in the podcast
    Jamane Y. from Greensboro, North Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you for inspiring me.
    Synette Belfon-Valentine Instructional Designer from White Plains, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Stupid Jokes = Happy People = Big Profits! Don’t take life so seriously! I love it. Reminds me to have fun through it all 🙂
    John Johnson from Nashville, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I listened to your podcast the other night. I am very impressed about your success. Wish you only the best. I like to be your colleague and take your help in my pursuit of my financial independence. regards. God Bless you jay
    Tom Camarda Investor from Los Angeles, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Anca, Thanks for a great podcast. Question: do you let the properties season for 6 months or so before you cash-out? Or do you have a lender that will do it for less than that?
    Preston Jackson III from Sacramento, California
    Great podcast!
    Edwin Fisher from Ooltewah, Tennessee
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Loved the show, I consider it a privilege have been your friend even before you become so famous (grin). I love your advice on house hacking, 203k loans, and getting past 4, properties, I used your advise and called a list of banks before getting my most recent loan on my Quad thanks for that nugget of brilliance. I am not married so your idea of having 4 for each spouse will not work for me, but it is a great Idea for the future!
    David Green Investor from La Grange, Illinois
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I really enjoyed your show. I am planning on investing in the area and was wondering if your father’s construction company works with other investors.
    Carolyn Morales Investor from Jacksonville, FL
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I love hearing the success of women in R E and to pass it on.
    Jeremy Alemany from Hamilton Square, NJ
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Great episode! Very helpful for me since it’s a very similar situation with me and my family members. I am going to partner with my dad and my brother to begin (once we find a good deal), and just like Anca, I am more risky than both of them, and it was good to understand that others have multiple businesses to satisfy all goals. It’s also good to learn more about Auctions. Thank you!
    Don Spafford Investor from Idaho Falls, ID
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Great information. Goes to show that if you are determined, nothing can stand in your way.
    Corey Woodman from boyertown, PA
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Brandon controlled that interview lol