BiggerPockets Podcast 156: Lifestyle Engineering Through Commercial, Residential, and Vacation Rentals with Mark Spidell
On this episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with Mark Spidell, an investor from the great state of Colorado, to discuss how he uses real estate to engineer his ideal lifestyle! We talk about partnering with family, investing out-of-state, buying small commercial buildings, owning vacation rentals, and much, much more! Not only will this episode entertain and inform you, it will also help you clarify your own investing plan so you can begin engineering your own perfect lifestyle!
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive's team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we've got quality assurance down to an art.
Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Mark got started through ADU
- Why he went the vacation rental route
- Where he currently invests
- The benefits of lifestyle-focused investing
- Tips for people with families
- The qualitative and quantitative parts of his investing
- What he’s learned from his first investments
- How he weathered the market crash
- How he was able to buy more after the crash
- Tips for investing in commercial deals
- How he financed his commercial property
- A commercial banker’s perspective on applying for loan
- The difference between commercial and residential financing
- How to minimize risk on commercial property
- The benefits of investing in commercial real estate
- Why you should ask for help from attorneys when drawing up leases for commercial property
- The ins and outs of being a landlord for commercial real estate
- How to successfully mix commercial property and vacation rentals in your portfolio
- How to find out what you’re good at and figure out which investing path to take
- The art of lifestyle engineering
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets’ Rental Property Portfolio Tracker
- BP Podcast 076: Growing Your Real Estate Company Into a $30 Million Dollar Business with Brian Burke
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Calculator
- BP Podcast 152: Building Wealth and Passive Income with Rental Properties with Ben Leybovich, Brian Burke, and Serge Shukhat
- Be a guest on the podcast
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad’s CASHFLOW Quadrant by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Schweser Notes for the 2011 CFA Exam Level 1 Book 3: Financial Reporting and Analysis
- “Commercial real estate is valued based on the income of the property.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you want the freedom, real estate could help you, but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.” (Tweet This!)