BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 157: A Simple Morning Ritual to Help You Dominate Every Area of Your Life with Hal Elrod

Expertise:

He was clinically dead for six minutes. No heartbeat. No sign of life. But Hal Elrod came back from this devastating event and has impacted millions in the process through his bestselling book, The Miracle Morning. Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast you’ll hear Hal’s full story, from the drunk driver that nearly ended everything to the lessons he learned that completely revolutionized his life. Hal’s story — and his advice on reaching your full potential — is sure to rock your life and leave you forever changed for the better. No matter what stage of your real estate investing business you find yourself in today, this show is about to help you get to the next level. Hang on tight!

Read the Transcript

Click here to read the transcript.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Watch the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

This Show Sponsored By

We just waRealtySharesnted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!

Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!

Famous Four Sponsorfreshlogo

A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?

Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.

In This Episode We Cover:

• BiggerPockets Podcast ArtworkHow to raise your potential for success
  • Who Hal Elrod is
  • Hal’s devastating accident
  • The first book he wrote
  • Details on his second book and why he started doing his morning ritual
  • Why he was depressed to the point of losing his house
  • The Morning Rituals
  • The 6 most powerful proven personal development practices
  • How much sleep do we really need?
  • The S.A.V.E.R.S. — and why you should let this guide your morning
  • Two forms of meditation
  • Potential problems with affirmation and how to do it right
  • How to realize the things that you are and are not in control of
  • The two parts of visualization
  • Why there’s magic in putting pen to paper
  • How to change your life beyond just the financial
  • How to apply these learnings to your life as an investor
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Tweetable Topics:

• “Your level of success will seldom exceed your level of personal development.” (Tweet This!)
  • “Start your day with peaceful, purposeful silence.” (Tweet This!)
  • “Win the morning and you win the day.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Hal

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals, who chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned.

Mel Griffin Real Estate Professional from Elkridge, Maryland
    SILENCE ! I LOVE THAT !
    Jim Hiler Rental Property Investor from Delray Beach, FL
    Replied over 3 years ago
    “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” ? Benjamin Franklin
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Love that quote!
    Yangjee Sherpa from Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Meditation!! indeed a requirement for peaceful life.
    Cailyn Aune from Tacoma, WA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I’ve heard Brandon mention this book briefly on previous podcasts, and my interest was peaked about your “100” days you’ve talked about before… Thank you for getting Hal on the show! I’m starting this tomorrow morning- so I guess I better get the book so I can start reading it, ha! Thank you so much Hal- this IS the stuff that changes lives… I’m really excited to put these principles to use. I’ve already recommended this podcast and book to multiple people today- because I’ve been so provoked. Josh… that might be the first show that you got more picked on than Brandon, how did it feel??! THANKS GUYS! And thanks for always making me laugh out loud during every show…!
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks so much Cailyn! Appreciate it 🙂 And good luck on your Miracle Morning! I just wrapped up mine for the day!
    Dustin Graham from Grass Valley, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Love it. Just bought the book. What was the Omvana track that you suggested? Day 1… something?
    Josh Talarek from Livonia, Michigan
    6 Phase Meditation
    Seth Carlone-Hanson Investor from North/ Central, Florida
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Love the podcast! Especially the bit about focusing on processes and removing emotion from the equation.
    Donald Capwell Flipper/Rehabber from COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Excellent! I was already doing one of these, but I listened to this yesterday and implemented all 6 this morning. Gotta tell you that the visualization one is a bit of a challenge, but 29 days to go and we’ll see… Very good stuff!!
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Rock on Donald! Let us know how it is after 29 days. And be sure to join the Miracle Morning facebook group. it’s great!
    Ellen Cordeiro
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited for a podcast than for this one. I think I was even more excited than Brandon! Thank you for bringing Hal on! I was just about to start re-reading the book because I’ve been lagging on my MM, but now I’m fired up again. Thanks for all you do you guys 🙂 PS – I read it because I heard it on Kiyasaki podcast but mostly because my husband said he heard Brandon talking about it on BP.
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Hey Ellen, I’m the same way! I was looking forward to this one for a long time 🙂 Thanks for the comment!
    Adrian Smude Rental Property Investor from Plant City, FL
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Yet another amazing interview! This episode was great timing for me as I’m making changes to help myself be better and more productive. I’m ordering the book, but will take action tomorrow with the meditation app.
    Alan Morrison from Grand Blanc, Michigan
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Woah, I just listened to the episode of Robert Kiyosaki’s podcast where he had Hal Elrod as a guest… I’ll take that as a sign. Just ordered the book.
    Shane Shepherd from Costa Mesa, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great interview guys, I read the book last year and following a similar routine has made a huge difference for me. One question, Hal references an app called “7 minute workout”… There are quite a few similar sounding ones on the iTunes store. Which one in particular is it?
    Mel Griffin Real Estate Professional from Elkridge, Maryland
    Replied over 3 years ago
    It’s been said that waking up an hour earlier every year, Gives you 6.5 additional 40 hour work weeks per year !
    Shane Shepherd from Costa Mesa, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    And that’s 65 additional 4-hour work weeks!
    Casandra Shell from Fort Collins, Colorado
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thank you! This is a great podcast! Very inspiring and valuable tools to begin a routine to make positive changes in your everyday life! I have incorporated some these at times into my life, but not all at the same time..and look forward to reading the book! 🙂
    Ronald Perich Investor from Granite City, Illinois
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Really awesome podcast. Really enjoyed this and can see how this can align very well with The One Thing and Getting Things Done. All of them work in tandem and can bring a lot of clarity to your life. Thanks so much!
    John Smith from Chapin, South Carolina
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Guys, I love ya and this episode gets me excited enough I wish I could share with my kids, but ya have to clean up the language before I can share it with them. 🙁
    Erika Carter Residential Real Estate Broker from Chicago, IL
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Excellent podcast!!! This book will be a breakthrough for me….I ordered Miracle Morning last night and received today! I’m so excited to become a SAVER!!! Thank you!
    Douglas Dowell from Olathe, Kansas
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Excellent and Fun podcast guys. I have found the early rise habit to be very powerful. I am a night owl by nature but this change is incredible. The idea of leveraging ALL of the techniques is booyah.
    Grace Ng Investor from Rockville, Maryland
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks Brandon and Josh for bringing Hal into the show today. I really enjoyed listening to him and have heard so much about his book but not bought it. It has been placed on order and I can’t wait to give it a go.
    Shawn C. Investor from Cedar Park, TX
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I LOVED the pod cast! I am going to read the book and give this a try(Even though I hate getting up early).
    Claudia Moreno from Keller, Texas
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Powerful message for me. I changed my alarm to 30 mins before I usually wake up in the middle of the show and this morning I had no problem getting up. Before I would always be “tired” if I woke up earlier than my alarm….crazy. All in the mind I guess
    Sachin Acharya from Dubai , Dubai
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Hey Hal What an amazing podcast and what an inspiration! You have had an impact way beyond what you would have possibly imagined. I had a presentation to make at my job today. So I decided to listen to this podcast all over again for probably the 4th or 5th time. And in doing that I was able to absorb the passion and energy that you have, and went on to deliver an incredible presentation filled with that same passion. The result was amazing. My aim was to motivate people about something. Did I motivate? Well, I believe I have just started a revolution! But here’s the important thing.. When I was talking in that boardroom I wasn’t me, I was you. Thanks for being such a wonderful hero to me and many more like me. Needles to say, I am following the miracle morning as well. Regards Sachin Acharya
    Tony Iaconelli from Aurora, IL
    Replied over 3 years ago
    This was an awesome podcast! I normally have to wake up at 3 am for work, but the last two days I have committed to waking up at 2:30 and have done the 7 minute workout to get the blood flowing and then jumped right into the Omvana meditation audio! I am going to read the book, and incorporate the rest of the SAVERS! Over the last two days, I have definitely noticed a difference in my attitude throughout the day. Thanks again for another awesome podcast!
    Anita Walter Real Estate Professional from Phoenix, Arizona
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thank you guys for this !! making personal changes is very important for someone with 4 kids and a fulltime job. Things are always crazy in the morning and I have been trying to figure out how I could workout everyday and get my kids up without rushing around afterwards and now I got it. As I listened to this podcast I made my SAVERS spreadsheet and will be starting TOMORROW. Life changing stuff here for me ordering the book today. Thanks HAL
    Alex Franks from Rock Hill, SC
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great way to end the day listening to this podcast
    Donald Cooley Railroad Conductor / Future investor from New Baltimore, MI
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Listened to this podcast yesterday, implemented this morning….wow very powerful. Thank you guys for sharing this great stuff. My major problem is my ever changing schedule and finding ways to keep this as routine.
    Kory Thaut Investor from West Linn, Oregon
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Just finished Hal’s book. Good podcast and motivational book. I was already a morning person focusing my productivity in the AM but I really like the SAVERS to keep me organized and consistent.
    Wade Mcmahan from Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Even though it wasn’t Real Estate it was one of my favorite podcasts. We ordered the book and before receiving it we even started doing our miracle morning. With that being said I have been more motivated by double and my mood is out to capture life in any success especially getting our marketing going full force. I have recommended this podcast to a couple of my buddies who started non Real Estate businesses. I freakin love all these podcasts!
    Alex Franks from Rock Hill, SC
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Out of all the podcast I find my self coming back to this one weekly. Alex
    Emil Matov Investor from Naperville, Illinois
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I listened to the podcast maybe on the day it was released. It resonated with me for one simple reason – I saw an opportunity to help me deal with the high level of stress at my job. I purchased the audiobook and listened to it on the way home, walking the dog. Hal was super optimistic and excited and I thought that’s how he sells. Next morning I got at 5:30 a.m. and was done by 6:30 a.m. I went to the kitchen and then I felt like something fundamentally had changed inside of me. The clarity and calmness were overwhelming. Needless to say I have missed may be one day over the past 45 days. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Emil
    Shmuel Harris Real Estate Agent from Brooklyn, New York
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Hey Hal, I don’t usually comment on podcast episodes, but when I do I comment on the good ones. Just wrapped up listening to this one and wanted to let you and the team at BP know how much I enjoyed it tremendously. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences. I love how you went from wanting to do one or two of the things that successful people do daily to that realization that the more the merrier. Just love it. Anyways, till next time y’all!! Sam Harris
    Jeff Owens Electrical Contractor from Burlingame, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    WOW I just started the miracle morning a week ago. I’m 50 years old and have struggled with focus all my life. I not only have more energy. I now have great focus in my day. I love this. I’m expecting big changes in my life. Please have more guest like Hal in the future.
    Kayla Lyon Real Estate Agent from Alexandria, VA
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Amazing show!! Really great, actionable, simple…how can I not try it? Hal was talking about reading just 10 pages of a book a day and how much that adds up to… another book I recommend is The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson. It’s a really simple read and talks about the same thing, just small steps every day add up to huge leaps over time. Thanks so much for such an awesome show!
    Lindsay Denny from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 3 years ago
    This came at the perfect time…I’ve been really frustrated with how often I’ve been sleeping in and starting my day off on the wrong foot. I plan put this into practice tomorrow! Can anyone please point me to the transcript of this interview?
    Michelle Williams Wholesaler from Chicago, Illinois
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Oh wow, I loved this podcast!!! When I first started listening, I was thinking this is not for me since I already get up at 4/4.30 am for my 5 mile run and am really motivated but…. Oh…. how wrong I was! Hal Elrod did an AMAZING job in sharing practical techniques with a sense of humour that had me giggling throughout the show! I’m definitely going to get the book plus recommend the podcast and the book to my 26 year old son who is just embarking on the road of Personal Development. Funny, my son sent me a text telling me that he got up immediately after his alarm went off as we were discussing so much of what Hal covered in the podcast! My partner is a night owl and I will also be sharing this with him too – he doesn’t do mornings at all – but hey, something tells me that’s about to change! Thank you Hal, you’re great! x
    Jason Ramer Investor from Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Great Podcast! I listened to it last weekend, and started my 6 min. morning today! Thank you!
    Zeb Buckley from Lawrence, Kansas
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Fantastic Podcast. I’ve started a routine using the miracle morning and I’m loving life even more. Thanks to the author and BP for sharing this knowledge.
    Dan Call Investor from Marshall, Virginia
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    I started the Miracle Morning 47 days ago, after hearing this podcast. I didn’t actually get the Miracle Morning book until a week ago and finished it this morning. I want to take a second to say how grateful I am for having found BiggerPockets and how appreciative I am for having been able to join a community that provides feedback and support to my goals. Thank you, BiggerPockets community. Please let me know how I can add value to your lives. Dan
    Evan Thomas from White Plains, New York
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    Nearly 4 months ago my friend invited me to run an ultra with him 9 weeks later. I agreed, and immediately dove into training. At the same time I had just started listening to the BP podcast and meditating. I was on an all-out betterment binge. I finished my ultra a few weeks ago, I’ve been driving (biking) for dollars and attending REI meetups, and reading and meditating every day. Two days ago I was telling my girlfriend that I wanted to start sleeping less so that I could get more done. This morning, I listened to this episode of the podcast on my run and it has been the most applicable to my life so far. So I wanted to post in the comments for the first time to thank Hal, and especially Brandon, & Josh, for their work. I’m closing in on the last 20 podcasts to be current, and this has given me even more determination to push forward with my goals. Here’s to 200 miles and 250 units!
    Michael Sato Biggerpockets Support from Las Pinas, Metro Manila
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Great podcast. Just bought the book and I’m learning a lot already. Here’s to more productive days
    Don Spafford Investor from Idaho Falls, ID
    Replied almost 2 years ago
    Wow! Awesome podcast. I’m like Josh, I’m a hard sell for this kind of stuff. I’ve heard Brandon and other guests talk about this book and just blew it off. After watching this I am sold! I already set my alarm back an hour right when he said to do it. I’ve already been functioning on 6 hours of sleep for the last 15 years or so anyway I just need to shift those hours a bit to take advantage of this. Thanks Josh & Brandon for bringing this guy on to talk about this. I want to buy the Agent version of the book as well for my wife and for myself as well to see what we can implement from that too.