BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 160: From 0 to 50 Flips in 5 Years (While Still Working a Job!) with Stefanie Marshall

Expertise:

Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down and chat with Stefanie Marshall, an investor from Northern California who has flipped more than 50 properties in the last five years, all while working a job as an accountant! In this powerful (and hilarious) interview, Stefanie shares how she jumped into the flipping game, how she managed to purchase a property in California for just $30,000, the sad story of losing $100,000 on a single flip, and how she bounced back to create an impressive flipping empire! Don’t miss a second of this fun, informative (and often sarcastic) episode!

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Watch the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

This Show Sponsored By

We just waRealtySharesnted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!

Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!

Fire Round Sponsor

PATLive-LogoWe just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive's team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we've got quality assurance down to an art.

Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!

In This Episode We Cover:

• BiggerPockets Podcast ArtworkWhat Stefanie does in real estate
  • How she got started
  • How she completed 60 deals in a span of five years
  • Tips for investing while having a day job
  • How she started without knowing much and ended up being saved by a contractor
  • Thoughts on finding a good partner
  • Some of Stephanie’s deals that went wrong
  • Where is the line when doing a price reduction
  • What to do when something goes wrong in the middle of a flip
  • Why you anticipate “I don’t know what’s going wrong” expenses
  • Where she currently invests and what the market is like
  • The minimum profit she tries to shoot for
  • How a flat fee listing works
  • The importance of being represented well in a deal
  • How she finds deal through auctions
  • What cash for keys is
  • How to research properties before going to an auction
  • How she finds deals today
  • The female perspective on investing
  • Thoughts on having a team and building systems
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Tweetable Topics:

• “Everything does not have to be always bigger and better.” (Tweet This!)
  • “Your first loss will be your smallest loss.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Stefanie

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investo...
    Yasmine Bisumber Realtor/Investor from Miramar, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Really enjoyed this one, I am usually in my car driving when listening to the podcasts. This morning I had some time to myself and I got on and listened and am able to leave a comment. Super great content, it is so nice to hear from female flippers. Stephanie has really gotten her business under control and I hope to go from 0 to 50 in years as well! Again, thanks so much for sharing and putting this one together. Alright, gotta get back to work!
    Ben
    Replied over 4 years ago
    The podcasts are great, but can you guys start the recording after you’re done stroking each other off? That would make the podcasts much better.
    Scott
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I actually enjoy Josh and Brandon “stroking each other off.” To each his own…
    Karen O. from NYC, NY
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Podcast was informative. Thanks. I’ll start working my way through previous posts. Only negative, seems like you spent a lot of time chatting with each other. Would have rathered hear more from Ms. Marshall. Still, all in all – Good show. Keep up the good work.
    Kelly Arthur from Scotch Plains, New Jersey
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was a great podcast. She was funny but what I like the most is how knowledgeable she was and how she is on top of her numbers/analysis. I’m also and accountant and a numbers geek. Numbers don’t lie!!! I also love to see female flippers and aspire to be as successful as Stefanie. She is sharp and on point. Thanks Stefanie, this was very helpful and full of great tips. Continued success to you Stefanie, Kelly
    Stefanie Marshall Real Estate Investor from Chico, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks Kelly! I always love a fellow female numbers geek!
    Jack Taylor from Chicago, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great and informative. Stefanie–I know you have a private investor funding. Did you self-fund your first deal or was that through a private investor as well? Just looking at financing options.
    Stefanie Marshall Real Estate Investor from Chico, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Jack, My first deal was with a private investor from the get go but he was very involved for the first few deals and came and checked out the houses and monitored the whole process. But now we have built that relationship of trust.
    Shari Lawson Investor from Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Podcast! Thanks Stefanie for the great info and willingness to share your story!
    Ronnie Boyd Fix & Flip, Wholetailing, from West Columbia, South Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show Stefanie, I can really relate to the selling your flips yourself. I’ve done that several times myself and find it to be a great way to move my properties.. Terrific show !!!
    Adrian Smude Rental Property Investor from Plant City, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Fun podcast! I really enjoyed it!
    Pam I. from Mc Lean, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Woo-hoo you go girl! Love Stephanie’s energy. I am feeling inspired by the success stories, especially from the lady flippers. I’m an accountant too.
    Felicia Hernandez-Fortunato Real Estate Agent from Cape Coral, FL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Excellent podcast!! Really enjoyed you guys and the content. Stephanie girl, keep it up!! I commend you and all your hard work. It always pays off at the end.
    Stefanie Marshall Real Estate Investor from Chico, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you all so much. Giving families a beautiful home that we as a team our proud of is what keeps me motivated!
    Kory Thaut Investor from West Linn, Oregon
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I enjoy these stories about building good, long-term teams, based on doing the right thing and taking care of people. In this business, it’s so easy to treat people like numbers in a business plan but it seems that Stefanie is really passionate about building relationships that are both good for her business as well as those she works with.
    Stefanie Marshall Real Estate Investor from Chico, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you Kory, that means so much because that is exactly what it is about!
    Jim Carroll
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Stephanie, Do you buy and hold any property or do you just flip.
    Stefanie Marshall Real Estate Investor from Chico, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I have a few buy and hold, but mainly flips
    RNL Peterson
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast Stephanie! Me and my husband are just getting started in real estate investing. We became accidental landlords due to life circumstances and are now thinking it has been a blessing to be on this path. We’re super excited about learning about buy and hold strategies as well as flipping. Thanks for all your insight!
    Anica Newbold Real Estate Professional from Riverside, OC, Long Beach, Bellflower, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was very informative for me and great point of views and discussion on challenges. Thank you for sharing.
    Gregory Poole from Greenville, North Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Really great show, I listened to it first at the gym and then watched it again with my wife at home. Very inspirational hearing other investors real life examples and stories!! Thanks a bunch
    Ricardo Cortes from Dallas, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Josh, i would highly recommend Mallorca Spain. It is the island next to Ibiza, though Mallorca is more relaxing and not a party town. Stay away from Malaguf!
    Account Closed from Chiriquí, Chiriquí
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Really good podcast Stephanie! Very informative and entertaining. Thanks for shearing
    JD Martin Rock Star Extraordinaire from Northeast, TN
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    This podcast was a riot! @Brandon Turner and @Josh Dorkin discussing “Chumbawumba” as her theme song actually made me belly laugh. I really enjoyed this one – Stefanie was a hoot.
    Don Spafford Investor from Idaho Falls, ID
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    Very fun podcast. She has a great, fun personality. Would love to hang out and laugh.