BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 174: Lessons Learned From 2,000+ Transactions Over 44 Years with Dave Short

Expertise:

Around BiggerPockets, we often encourage newer investors to sit down with an experienced real estate investor to “pick their brain” and soak up their wisdom. Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we want to do just that. Dave Short began investing in real estate nearly half a century ago and has an incredible level of insight into the ups and downs of building wealth through real estate. We cover everything from overcoming failure to flipping a hundred houses in four years and much more!

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

Watch the Podcast Here

Help Us Out!

Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!

This Show Sponsored By

We just waRealtySharesnted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!

Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!

Fire Round Sponsor

freshlogoA huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?

Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.

In This Episode We Cover:

• How he got started in real estate from a factory job 44 years ago
  • The grave need for property management and liquidating their business
  • Thoughts on going through investing with over a million dollars in debt
  • Tips for making partners instead of having bank relationships
  • How help from the outside opened his eyes
  • Why you should stay in the game despite failures
  • The importance of working with the right people
  • How many transactions he has done over his real estate career
  • How he flips a house
  • Who’s on his team
  • How to hook a spouse on investing in real estate
  • How he buys his deals
  • How to get a good transaction as a wholesaler
  • Making a deal by solving other people’s problems
  • How to show yourself to be legit as a wholesaler
  • Why you should find a veteran investor in your market
  • What “pre-habbing” a house is
  • And SO much more!

Links from the Show

Books Mentioned in this Show

Tweetable Topics:

• “The management is the key to success, and real estate is just the vehicle.” (Tweet This!)
  • “In buying and selling real estate, every house has 2 to 4 solutions.” (Tweet This!)
  • “The beauty in staying in the real estate business for 44 years is if you’re in a slump for 4 years, that’s only 10% of your career.” (Tweet This!)
  • “If you can’t ask the right questions, then you’ll never get to the solution.” (Tweet This!)
  • “I never look at them as competition. They’re people we work together with, and we can all make a living.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Dave

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investo...
    Richard Ball Real Estate Agent from Port Huron, Michigan
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show, I feel like you could bring Dave back for the next 3 shows and have something different to talk about in all of them. Maybe a surprise guest appearance by his wife as I am sure she has a wealth of knowledge as well.
    Don Harris Realtor from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    @David Short, thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with the BP world. Here is to your continued success.
    Lawrence Joseph from Phoenix, AZ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show! I learned a lot about. Next time you bring him back on can dig a bit more on his methods of getting private money.
    Cody Barrett
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Asking the right questions is key and I have to get better at that. Awesome show and managing the asset is a huge take away. Kind of crazy how some properties can have some solid managers but still have a tough time… I would like to learn the red flags to those types of properties. The “pig” as Ben calls them haha! Great show guys!
    Eduardo Slesaransky Wholesaler from Santa Monica, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast and great person to meet. Thank you Dave Short for all your advice.
    Chris T. Investor from Downers Grove, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you Dave, Josh and Brandon. Very informative and for sharing the point of view from a seasoned investor towards newbies!
    Marianne C. Investor from Portland, Oregon
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I should stop looking for my next deal and stick with home decorating and gift card handouts. Seriously?
    Frank Smith
    Replied over 4 years ago
    That was a horrible and diminishing statement from the speaker. Shame on him.
    Kurt F. Investor from Rocktown, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great podcast, and Dave sounds a great guy — extremely knowledgeable yet humble. The concept of “prehab” is interesting — but the loved and hated John T. Reed discussed this strategy many years ago.
    Ben G. Investor from Indianapolis, Indiana
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show Dave. You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate you sharing all of that knowledge with me when I was a Newbie and helping me get started. Forever grateful!
    Doug Compton from Leesburg, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Lots of great information in this episode. But like another commenter said, maybe I should not try to be in this business. I cannot wrap my head around how you find a house you can purchase for $38k and have it ultimately sell for over $200k. Where in the world do deals like that exist?
    Monika Smith Real Estate Agent from Tucson, AZ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    They are definitely out there…Persisence and patience is very key. Alot of probate properties fall into this category, and out of state owners.
    Peter Mckernan Residential Real Estate Agent from Irvine, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This was a good show! Dave is a wealth of knowledge!!
    Erika Carter Residential Real Estate Broker from Chicago, IL
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show guys!!! Packed with great info and insight! Thank you!
    Alison Kothmann Real Estate Investor from Spring Branch, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great show! I love that he really talked to us newbies and said we are important. Fresh blood, hungry blood is always an asset. In my research phase now, but I will do my first deal within a year!
    Frank Smith
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I’m about 20 minutes short to finish this podcast. Thanks for sharing the info. I have a few questions: What happened to the 42 units? Why couldn’t they manage them and were forced to sell? How did they loose 10K per month? What happened? Is the result of 44 years of hard work a 1 million + dollars in debt? From what I got so far, this is a sad story. I appreciate the info. Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda Cook Accountant from Pleasant Garden, NC
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I really enjoyed this podcast. There was so much information from a seasoned investor. I especially liked that he talks to sellers about financing the house for him then splitting the profit after rehabbing it, and that some of those folks are still private lenders for him.
    Julie Marquez Investor from Seattle, WA
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Dave! What an enjoyable podcast to listen to, so much information and genuine about your real estate investing. Thanks for being a part of the community and making a better name for all of us. I’ll have to get my hands on some Tony Robbins books!
    Raymond McGill Rental Property Investor from Rochester, NH
    Replied about 4 years ago
    What is the term “Cyrea”? local Real Estate club?
    Raymond McGill Rental Property Investor from Rochester, NH
    Replied about 4 years ago
    City Real Estate Investment Association –
    Matt Wesley from Indianapolis
    Replied 12 months ago
    CIREIA Central Indiana Real Estate Investors Association
    Dmitriy Fomichenko Solo 401k Expert from Anaheim Hills, CA
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Excellent podcast. It’s important to build relationships and how you got out of the debt was commendable. Thanks for sharing.
    Richard Leyba tejada Rental Property Investor from Canal Winchester Ohio
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Thank you for the advice to get my wife involved!