BiggerPockets Podcast 185: How “Rent-to-Own” Can Increase Cash Flow and Maximize Equity with Bill Powers
On today’s episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast, Josh and Brandon sit down with Bill Powers, a real estate investor from the Chicago suburbs, to learn how he went from zero to over 70 units in five years while focusing on lease options — also known as “rent to own.” This powerful strategy is one that anyone can begin using in their business to achieve more cash flow and equity — and today, you’ll learn all the details. Get your pen and paper out for this show — you’ll want to take some notes!
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive's team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we've got quality assurance down to an art.
Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com/
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Bill got started in real estate
- All the mistakes he made on his first house
- Tenant screening must-haves
- How exactly rent-to-own works
- What the first look program is
- What you should know about the 2% rule
- How to not be a predatory investor
- Tips for running your business the right way
- A discussion on “instant equity“
- Why some people are not fulfilling their lease options
- A profile of common tenants who go for rent to own
- What is Dodd-Frank is and how it affects people who use lease options
- Things to note before going for a lease option
- What the future of his business is
- How many hours he works in a week
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- How I Found My Five Latest Real Estate Deals! (Five Different Strategies)
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Secure Pay One
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Book on No or Low Money Down by Brandon Turner
- The Book on Estimating Rehab Cost by J. Scott
- The Golden Rules by Bob Bowman
- “Where rents are highest and acquisition of capital is lowest, that’s where we focus.” (Tweet This!)
- “I think you can always flip. I think there’s spread on properties all the time.” (Tweet This!)
- “There are ways to lose money on flips even if you make money — because opportunity cost is a big factor on that.” (Tweet This!)
- “Don’t be enticed completely by the flip side of things. Look long term.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Bill